A late comment re: the Great Serpent mound and Ross' earlier post

  • jpscherz
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 20, 2012

      All,

      Picking up an old thread titled Metrology in Ancient America, weeks ago I I intended to, but did not get around to commenting on a very well written post sent to this group by member Ross Hamilton that only received one comment (see post and comments at the base of this message).

       The DVR on my television automatically records pre-selected programs on the History Channel, PBS, BBC, etc., and with several research friends who stopped by recently, we watched the Ancient Aliens (& the Old West) program on the History Channel, Episode #21, referred to in the comment.   Beginning 46 minutes into the program (including commercials) is footage of the Great Serpent Mound in Adams County, Ohio  and interviews of AWS member Ross Hamilton as well as a number of representatives of various tribes speaking about petroglyphs, legends about possibilities of ancient 'aliens'  or 'star peoples'.  Not long ago (after the weather turned unseasonably summer-like when it was still winter here), I re-started attending outdoor campfire meetings with recovering Native friends on various reservation  lands east of here, not far from Lake Michigan.  No one there scoffs at legends of star beings within their traditions.  I also see no contradictions about my own ancestry coming  here by way of the seas and the stars, either. I do not by any means believe my own lineage to be at the pinnacle of or exemplify socio-cultural 'advancement', either, nor technologically wise in how we have interacted with Nature and fellow human beings over the millinnea.  This belief has played a major role in my search and why I earnestly step out of my comfort zones to enjoy the privilege of being able to civilly engaging with people and groups such as I can here at Ancient global Waterways.  And in my helping with conferences around the world that are open to possibilities based strongly within the Sciences, yet given life--- enspirited from ancient teachings of wisdom keepers aound the world who maintain reverence with the Earth and it's inhabitants.

      Anyway, toward the top of my bucket list is a longtime desire to spend a few days at the Great Serpent Mound in Ohio.  So this week searching the Internet this week for a primitive camp site in a natural setting very close to the Serpent Mound, I ran a cross information about a 2012 Summer Solstice event there, which I am considering attending if my old car can make it that far by then.

      Below too is a link to the Friends of Serpent Mounds association and, to my surprise, information I discovered about the May 1st release of Ross Hamilton's new book.  Please, all of you members here, keep this group posted specifically and with subject headings on things you members do that relate to each other and/or this YahooGroup!  Especially your related events, publications, radio interviews, television programs, conferences, and specific details as to what part of the world/nearby waterway you are referring.  Keeping members informed of each other and interconnecting intra- and intercontinental waterway localities is one of the main intentions I carried at the top of my bucket list years ago in being one of the original founders of this society of international researchers and friends. I have had a wooden sign on the back window of my car for at least a decade or two "ancient Waterways Society".  And another wooden sign at my kitchen door,  "Ancient Waterways Cafe" that faces the mighty Wisconsin River across the street.  This sign too is the starting point in my relationship with all who stop here for a meal or an overnight.  And seems to be at the roots of who I have become since my children have all moved away.

      Below, too, I scanned and pasted reviews of Ross' book by Robert Bauval and others.  Another post is coming your way soon as i can get to it that I accidently discovered last night after Prof. jim Scherz left.  It is a blogtalkradio interview of member Martin Carriere by member Will Blue Otter.

      I do hope you members are interested in each other regardless of what part of the world you reside.  Are we not all inter-related, after these many years together?  Or, as Cal so aptly put it a few weeks ago in a post, are we not all linked way, way back within our human origins?

      Poor momma here.  Just think how much we are missing of other members' efforts and accomplishments within this Society, along ancient global waterways.... I think many of  our ancestors knew the old waterway highways over great distances and those they paddled upon more intimately than we busy contemporaries do.

      If there is inexpensive camping in a pristine setting near the Ohio Serpent Mound, perhaps one or more of you might wish to meet me there for a few days for the Summer Solstice gathering, or in the fall...

      Susan

      Summer Solstice Celebration 2012 at the Great Serpent Mound in Ohio:
      http://www.serpentmound.org/festival.html

      Friends of Serpent Mounds 2012 Events Page:

      http://www.serpentmound.org/events.html

      Star Mounds: Legacy of a Native American Mystery [Paperback]
      Ross Hamilton (Author)

      List Price:$29.95
      Price:$19.37 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shippingon orders over $25. Details
      You Save:$10.58 (35%)
      Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.
      This title will be released on May 1, 2012.
      Pre-order now!
      Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

      Book Description

      Publication Date: May 1, 2012
      Star Mounds is a full-color illustrated study of the precolonial monuments of the greater Ohio Valley, woven together with over fifty "medicine stories" inspired by Native American mythology that demonstrate the depth of the knowledge held by indigenous peoples about the universe they lived in.

      The earthworks of the region have long mystified and intrigued scholars, archeologists, and anthropologists with their impressive size and design. The landscape practices of pioneer families destroyed much of them in the 1700s, but, during the first half of the 1800s, some serious mapmaking expeditions were able to record their locations. Utilizing many nineteenth-century maps as a base—including those of the gentlemen explorers Ephraim Squier and Edwin Davis—author Ross Hamilton reveals the meaning and purpose of these antique monuments.

      Together with these maps, Hamilton applies new theories and geometrical formulas to the earthworks to demonstrate that the Ohio Valley was the setting of a manitou system, an interactive organization of specially shaped villages that was home to a sophisticated society of architects and astronomers. The author retells over fifty ancient stories based on Native American myth such as "The One-Eyed Man" and "The Story of How Mischief Became Hare" that clearly indicate how knowledgeable the valley's inhabitants were about the constellations and the movement of the stars. Finally, Hamilton relates the spiritual culture of the valley's early inhabitants to a kind of golden age of humanity when people lived in harmony with the Earth and Sky, and looks forward to a time when our own culture can foster a similar "spiritual technology" and life-giving relationship with nature.

      Special Offers and Product Promotions

      • Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Here's how (restrictions apply)E O. 1850-1919 RandallPaperback.

      Editorial Reviews

      Review

      "Ross Hamilton's Star Mounds: Legacy of a Native American Mystery is a must-read for all who are interested in ancient star lores."—Robert Bauval, author of Black Genesis: The Prehistoric Origins of Ancient Egypt
       "Ross Hamilton's Star Mounds is a unique, rich study of America's mysterious earthworks and the brilliant insights built into them by the geniuses who lived here in ancient times. This book's very existence and the fact that someone had the tenacity, vision, and understanding—born of a lifetime of study—to produce such an unprecedented work, excites me to the core. The artistry of the presentation, the astronomical and geomantic diagrams, and the beautiful stories are a feast for those who truly want to understand the soul of ancient America. This book is the key! I look forward to years of reading and rereading this amazing book."—John Major Jenkins, author of The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
      "There is an old Lakota story that says `always count the stars, for if we stop counting the stars we will cease to exist.' As beings of prescience, we must bring the inherent star knowledge above to Mother Earth below. Relationships come and go, but the knowledge, language, and imagination of Turtle Island's wisdom is never lost, however oblivious many are to its presence. Star Mounds: Legacy of a Native American Mystery has lit a fire for those who yearn for their originations."—Tiokasin Ghosthorse, Lakota leader and host of First Voices Indigenous Radio on WBAI New York/Pacifica Radio
      "In the long-awaited sequel to The Mystery of the Serpent Mound, Ross Hamilton delves deeper into the spiritual science and sacred geometry of the Ohio Valley of millennia past. Focusing on the Great Serpent effigy as hub and power center, Hamilton extends his meticulous research to include the surrounding earthworks that together form a cosmological zodiac. In the spirit of `as above, so below,' this `holy machine' once facilitated interactions between energies of earth and sky to ultimately allow for communion with the star ancestors. In language lucid and poetic, … his book details solar, lunar, and stellar alignments and roots them in time through the precession of the equinoxes. Star Mounds is a huge leap forward for archaeoastronomy and a crucial key to understanding the complex beauty of these enigmatic earthworks.—Gary A. David, author of The Kivas of Heaven: Ancient Hopi Starlore
      "Ross Hamilton's poetic analysis of the earthworks of the Ohio landscape is unique, inquisitive, and carried out in a gentle and respectful manner, with an emphasis on Native American mythology. Only the late John Michell could have created such a visionary report into the geometry, geomancy, astronomy, and mythology of this mysterious prehistoric landscape. Serpent Mound chose a wise representative to reveal her innermost secrets; many of her mysteries, long lost in the depths of time, have been bought back into the light. Star Mounds has also reopened the debate on ancient American history and reveals a lost enchanted landscape spread out over a wide area (even in present-day golf courses and residential areas). It gives the reader an insight into the prehistoric minds and hearts of a sophisticated team of intelligent, thoughtful and inspired architects, whose engineering and energetic fingerprints are still evident in the land thousands of years later."—Hugh Newman, organizer of the Megalithomania Conferences and author of Earth Grids: The Secret Patterns of Gaia's Sacred Sites
      "Ross revives the wisdom of a forgotten tradition.… It is my hope that Ross's work and its success will reenergize these sites, so they can shine like the stars they were linked with."—Philip Coppens, author of The Ancient Alien Question: A New Inquiry Into the Existence, Evidence, and Influence of Ancient Visitors

      About the Author

      Born in 1948 on Long Island, New York, Ross Hamilton has lived in the greater Cincinnati, Ohio area since the age of seven. Fascinated by American Indian history from childhood, Hamilton has devoted his life to bringing to light the lost history of the North American continent. He has worked with activist Vine Deloria Jr., the former executive director of the National Congress of American Indians; Floyd "Red Crow" Westerman; and Iroquois chief Jake Swamp. He frequently gives interviews on the subject of the star mounds, most recently on the History Channel show Ancient Aliens (http://bit.ly/qNVsKE).

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Ross Hamilton <d.ross.hamilton@...> wrote:

      > Hi Chris,
      >
      > I cited the Ancient Aliens show on that segment because the subject was not
      > attributed to aliens, but to Native Americans. I think you might enjoy
      > watching it. It's just the name of the show--not necessarily the content
      > for all segments.
      > Also, I've noticed that only Vince commented on subject. Thanks Vince.
      > Ross
      >
      > On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Chris Patenaude
      > yacrispyubetcha@...wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > What pees me off more'n a tad are these fad TV shows about any mystery
      > > at all linked to Aliens Aliens! I'm angered and insulted as a human to
      > > think somebody in a media castle has figured out how to dumb down the US
      > > Public even further and make money doing it! Claiming every fantastic,
      > > phenomenal wisdom our ancestors figured out *all on their li'l lonesomes*is completely due to reptilian or birdmen from outer space, is denegrating
      > > to the spectacular potential our species posesses. WE did it. WE figured
      > > out the geometry and the grids and the spatial abstractions to create
      > > wonderful works of engineering. Not some martian.
      > >
      > > Just because we've denied the proper educational challenges to our
      > > children, and we're reaping the results with a retarded generation of dull
      > > minds who can't think up anything on their own... that's no reason to turn
      > > to fantasy to explain why we can't imagine how these things were done in
      > > the past. It's the new superstition.
      > > Ach, I'll get off my soap box now. But reeeeeely! Aliens. pah! We did it
      > > by ourselves and continue to create marvelous things. Thank heavens there's
      > > a hundered other channels to watch on the boob toob. Better yet, turn it
      > > off and go walk a mound.
      > > -cp

    • Pamela Giese
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 20, 2012
      • 1 Attachment
      • 594 KB
      Hello Jim & Susan,

      If you're going to the Great Serpent Mound for Summer Solstice, try to catch the Solstice Sun Rise at Fort Ancient, about 30 miles away.  The Serpent Mound has a sunset alignment, so you won't miss anything by catching the sunrise at Fort Ancient.

      I've seen some of the major Mayan sunrise alignments, and only they compare with Fort Ancient (nothing like it here in the U.K.).  The way the sunrise skims across the alignment mounds and blazes is really spectacular.  Sorry my attached image isn't better.  There's always a small crowd at the Fort Ancient site to see the sunrise.  There's both  summer and winter alignments.   In recent years, a calendar woodhenge-type wheel and serpent mound effigies have been found at Fort Ancient ---so it's definitely a place with a lot more mystery left to unfold.

      For me, I'll probably be seeing in the summer solstice in Northumbria, probably the Goat Stones stone circle.   If anyone will be up here Newcastle, UK ways, drop me a line.

      Pam
[...]

      List Price:$29.95