Re: "Learning Native Wisdom"

  • james m clark jr
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 16, 2012
      ... one thing is for certian canned corn beef is nasty.
      COME AND GET IT!!

      Burnheat family aka Bernard family were among earlest settlers in Senoia Georgia following the Indian Springs Treaty. Sim Clower Burnard was alotted 20,000 acers here and following the Civil War built a water mill or grist mill on Bear Creek and laid to rest under a nearby Oak Tree if I recall the archives correctly.

      be well,
      jamey

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Bennett" <mlbennett@...> wrote:

      > It was very interesting to read what you wrote. After a double check on
      > the internet I agree with you. I once spent a day with Iron Eyes Cody and
      > he certainly played the Native American. He asked, almost immediately,
      > about my ethnicity. When I told him I was Jewish he subjected me to a
      > long story about being "forced" into eating a corned beef by Jesse Lansky
      > and how it was totally disguising. Since reading this post I keep
      > rethinking that day. The traditional Hollywood formula (30's,40's) was
      > to have Anglos play the cowboys, Italians and Jews play the Mexicans
      > (you can spot a Brooklyn gesture among some in the crowd scenes) and have
      > the Mexicans play the Indians with the real Indians unemployed. Mark
      >
      > > In a related case, I have heard that Iron Eyes Cody was sued for being an
      > > Italian impersonating a Native American.
      > >
      > > Jeff
      > >

      > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

    • Mark Bennett
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 16, 2012
        It was a corned beef sandwich and probably from one of the best deli's in
        LA. Mark

      • james m clark jr
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 17, 2012
          aarrr!! BurnHEART/Bernard
          Sorry about Mark, AWS,
          ... and you to Leola Dolee

          L.A. has walmart subs in their deli's now?
          ...mmm mmm Vegan corn beef sub please!!
          Hold the Tofu! Speaking of Tofu has anybody
          beside me tried to flame broil a Hebrew National
          hotdog... Reminded me of abraham & Daniel escaping
          the firey furnace.

          Examples of YahooGroup! Apps avalible for Yahoo Groups throughout post. What this would means for AWS members. Once moderators enable an application this would enable members to become a grouplet. Become a grouplet to whatever degree you want. These grouplet applcations as far as I know are applied only to Yahoo Groups! Online site or link

          And perhaps depending on applied apps is more like academic setting
          As you can see if you visit link or the AWS Homepage -- above Chat there it is right above it in Group Labs (Beta)-- Applications -- There are no apps currently at AWS. They have to be activated by group moderator In fact in 45 public & private groups 1 group only one had used only one app and had deleted that one and enabled it again the very next day. Other than that 15 years of yahoo groups have been cought in the digital dustben like staring lab rats. And the tools to make them stable was just a click away, unapplied unseen hidden and hanging on by a thread.

          Applications have been here for years at YahooGroups! Way before cell phone craze and multimedia apps

          could we use a:

          How To (Instructions) Enable group members to share "how
          to" guides

          This is an app. I didn't need to create a folder last year.
          In fact regarding secure issues & attachments there is an additional app for photos a total of 3 links to add photo at AWS. If applied to AWS this could be used for family, events, lectures, tours, sites,
          and yes there are 2 app for Maps a people map and location map and even a RSVP App for events or a created event that tracks how many folks are planning on atending an event. And all these tools and more could be at every AWS members disposal.

          The more you share as a grouplet the better the group can function is an idea to many have ignored. This would make group moderatation a whole lot easier and promote group responiblity and task managagement. Although AWS is a public group grouplet information is not disclosed to the general public.

          Reviews
          Enable your group to share reviews of restaurants, local businesses and services, electronics, movies, music, and more. Or create your own AWS review application.

          AWS has elected to be a Public Outlet to Ancient Waterways Society composed of AWS Members collectively as a body of International colleges from a verity of backgrounds and first nation peoples for the general public.

          People Map
          The People Map provides an easy way for group members to
          share where they're from and can also be used to create a dynamic
          address book for the group or to create group specific profiles.

          Places Map
          A great way for group members to share information about
          places that are relevant to the group. You can customize the map to make it about a specific type of place (e.g. restaurants or dog parks or tourist attractions) or leave it open to anything.

          Hold the Swiss...oh!!
          Hold the PASTRAMI Ohh No!! BLOOD SAUSAGE sandwish please.. No!!!
          Don't get me wrong I would love to try some really good corn beef.
          Irish family lives in FLa. Jewish family are proud to be... from the Father Land? Humm Stockholm Syndrome posers Some want in... some want out.

          Anywho... I have a good idea of where to look on the East Coast.
          West Coast: Los Angeles 34.0522° N, 118.2428° W
          East Coast: Conyers Ga 33.6675° N, 84.0178° W

          Conyers is about 25m just outside of Atlanta

          ...as a side order I'll take the Red no.40 Jello
          with cherry peppers & turkey bacon and a small bowl
          of your best broccoli soup! It's a Kosher thing...
          What's that... is the pink slime okay by me?
          Your the pre-cooked sandwich maker... suprise me.
          Yes! Freshly graded cheddar please. I expect the
          best in L.A. sub shops.

          Dude this a Fallout 3 New Vasas mod in L.A RPG's!!
          It's hard to imagine good corn beef at a sub slop
          at the chowhound chow all-day-long but if you insist
          that it is so good Jews & Muslims can eat here in peace
          ...okay perhaps not all that.

          I'd rather take my chances in the Resturant
          captial of the South in Conyers Georgia with once an
          excellent Ladino sub shop ... I wished!! It was a
          pressed tuna on toasted whole wheat sub is a Kosher fav.
          altough my first was made at the Frontera Mex-Mex Grill.
          Make them myself now. There is a local favorite Mexican
          eatery in Macon: Tacos La Playita noted for excellent casadia's wonderful serloin steak burritos and the best ever guacamole.

          If the Counry Kitchen buffet is still an all you can eat buffet
          for 8 to 10 bucks this place is unbelievable. Perhsps
          a non Kosher affiliation but when good health ratings
          are high and large sellection of fine fresh baked goods, dishes
          casseroles. Main course including Blackened Baked Alaskian Cod
          perhaps the best on ice on the entire East Coast. If
          it's not in Conyers it's not a Country Kitchen. An excelent
          stop for passerbys clubs, schools to bussiness lunchin.

          Biker Clubs & perhaps Societies can make request to the american spirit tv show to request touring suggestion segments you would like see. Warm Spings Georgia was the latest episode here in the southeast est

          American Spirit TV:
          LinkedIN
          Facebook
          Youtube

        • charles bruns
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 17, 2012
            send me all you want.  alot depends on if you are hungry.  chb

            ... one thing is for certian canned corn beef is nasty.
            COME AND GET IT!!

            Burnheat family aka Bernard family were among earlest settlers in Senoia Georgia following the Indian Springs Treaty. Sim Clower Burnard was alotted 20,000 acers here and following the Civil War built a water mill or grist mill on Bear Creek and laid to rest under a nearby Oak Tree if I recall the archives correctly.

            be well,
            jamey

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Bennett" <mlbennett@...> wrote:

            > It was very interesting to read what you wrote. After a double check on
            > the internet I agree with you. I once spent a day with Iron Eyes Cody and
            > he certainly played the Native American. He asked, almost immediately,
            > about my ethnicity. When I told him I was Jewish he subjected me to a
            > long story about being "forced" into eating a corned beef by Jesse Lansky
            > and how it was totally disguising. Since reading this post I keep
            > rethinking that day. The traditional Hollywood formula (30's,40's) was
            > to have Anglos play the cowboys, Italians and Jews play the Mexicans
            > (you can spot a Brooklyn gesture among some in the crowd scenes) and have
            > the Mexicans play the Indians with the real Indians unemployed. Mark
            >
            > > In a related case, I have heard that Iron Eyes Cody was sued for being an
            > > Italian impersonating a Native American.
            > >
            > > Jeff
            > >

            > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          • james m clark jr
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 17, 2012
              I hear ya Charlie,

              AWS could have it's own Barter System or fund raiser. Personally I despize the term handout. Being greatful goes either way.

              We could call it the AWS Keep Charlie out of the Corn Beef Cans Fund

              For Sale
              Create an easy way for people to buy and sell from each other. You can choose to customize the application to make it about a specific type of item (e.g. bicycles or tickets or ) or leave it open to anything.

              I have 8 clay marble & marble marbles found in Monroe County Georgia.
              They could have been made for Creek Cherokee East Africans or for early settlement childern around the Treaty of Indian Springs. If some may recall these are of the 109 I use to have and was going to give to AWS members... which ironiclly currently is at 101 members

              min. Value is estimated at $200.00 each.

              Give Away
              Whether you're a Freecycling or Freesharing group that is dedicated to giving stuff away or you're a group that is about something else entirely but just wants to make exchanges possible among group members, this application makes it easier for folks to give stuff away.

              be well,
              jamey

              --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, charles bruns <charbruns@...> wrote:

              > send me all you want.  alot depends on if you are hungry.  chb

            • Rick O
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 19, 2012
                "Marbles" were more for playing head games and it is a bit ironic that
                this comes in a thread that also mentions kosher vs non-kosher.

                Most of the clay and stone "marbles" found in NA sites are about 27 to
                30 mm in diameter. Some are heavily damaged. In order for the hard
                spheres to become so heavily damaged, they had to either have been
                crunched by farm implements or had to hit something very hard, like a
                cranium.

                These objects are almost certainly missiles for slings. When they are
                found in any other part of the world, that is the immediate presumption.
                Yet, when found in a Native American site, we jump to children's toys as
                the presumption. What is wrong with this picture?

                Jamie, I would very much like the opportunity to run a few of these past
                Scott Wolter.

                --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "james m clark jr"
                <jameyboy@...> wrote:

                > ...was at 103 dropped to 101 now at 88 AWS members within a day.
                >
                > jmcjr
                >

                > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "james m clark jr"
                jameyboy@ wrote:

                > > I hear ya Charlie,
                > >
                > > AWS could have it's own Barter System or fund raiser. Personally I
                despize the term handout. Being greatful goes either way.

                > > We could call it the AWS Keep Charlie out of the Corn Beef Cans Fund
                > >

                > > For Sale
                > > Create an easy way for people to buy and sell from each other. You
                can choose to customize the application to make it about a specific type
                of item (e.g. bicycles or tickets or ) or leave it open to anything.

                > > I have 8 clay marble & marble marbles found in Monroe County
                Georgia.
                > > They could have been made for Creek Cherokee East Africans or for
                early settlement childern around the Treaty of Indian Springs. If some
                may recall these are of the 109 I use to have and was going to give to
                AWS members... which ironiclly currently is at 101 members

                > > min. Value is estimated at $200.00 each.
                > >
                > > Give Away
                > > Whether you're a Freecycling or Freesharing group that is dedicated
                to giving stuff away or you're a group that is about something else
                entirely but just wants to make exchanges possible among group members,
                this application makes it easier for folks to give stuff away.

                > > be well,
                > > jamey
                > >

                > > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, charles bruns
                <charbruns@> wrote:

                > > > send me all you want. alot depends on if you are hungry. chb

              • Deb Twigg
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 19, 2012
                  Actually, SRAC (waverly, ny) has tons of these in all sizes and shapes... Very few are a marble size...many are closer to a tennis ball size, some even softball sized. We also have the discoidals and the other flattened "game pieces", as well as bolo stones...which clearly were flung as a weapon or hunting stone after being tied onto a leather strap... My point is that the round balls range into sizes that doubtfully were easy to be used with a slingshot .. And a perfectly round stone takes a long time to make to be used when another unworked pebble many times would do...For that reason I would think that rolling was the obvious reason for the worked sphere shape as well as the discoidals  (which are also always made of hard stone too and usually banged up)- for whatever purpose, gaming or anything else a round shape can be used for...

                  Just another opinion!

                  Deb Twigg
                  Executive Director
                  SRAC
                  607-727-3111

                  <jameyboy@...> wrote:

                  > ...was at 103 dropped to 101 now at 88 AWS members within a day.
                  >
                  > jmcjr
                  >

                  > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "james m clark jr"
                  jameyboy@ wrote:

                  > > I hear ya Charlie,
                  > >
                  > > AWS could have it's own Barter System or fund raiser. Personally I
                  despize the term handout. Being greatful goes either way.

                  > > We could call it the AWS Keep Charlie out of the Corn Beef Cans Fund
                  > >

                  > > For Sale
                  > > Create an easy way for people to buy and sell from each other. You
                  can choose to customize the application to make it about a specific type
                  of item (e.g. bicycles or tickets or ) or leave it open to anything.

                  > > I have 8 clay marble & marble marbles found in Monroe County
                  Georgia.
                  > > They could have been made for Creek Cherokee East Africans or for
                  early settlement childern around the Treaty of Indian Springs. If some
                  may recall these are of the 109 I use to have and was going to give to
                  AWS members... which ironiclly currently is at 101 members

                  > > min. Value is estimated at $200.00 each.
                  > >
                  > > Give Away
                  > > Whether you're a Freecycling or Freesharing group that is dedicated
                  to giving stuff away or you're a group that is about something else
                  entirely but just wants to make exchanges possible among group members,
                  this application makes it easier for folks to give stuff away.

                  > > be well,
                  > > jamey
                  > >

                  > > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, charles bruns
                  <charbruns@> wrote:

                  > > > send me all you want. alot depends on if you are hungry. chb

                  =
                • Larry Hancock
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 19, 2012
                    I once read how real marbles were made anciently by placing a small rounded stone in a hole or depressioin in the rock and letting running water fall on it and turn it until it was perfectly rounded.

                    <jameyboy@...> wrote:

                    > ...was at 103 dropped to 101 now at 88 AWS members within a day.
                    >
                    > jmcjr
                    >

                    > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "james m clark jr"
                    jameyboy@ wrote:

                    > > I hear ya Charlie,
                    > >
                    > > AWS could have it's own Barter System or fund raiser. Personally I
                    despize the term handout. Being greatful goes either way.

                    > > We could call it the AWS Keep Charlie out of the Corn Beef Cans Fund
                    > >

                    > > For Sale
                    > > Create an easy way for people to buy and sell from each other. You
                    can choose to customize the application to make it about a specific type
                    of item (e.g. bicycles or tickets or ) or leave it open to anything.

                    > > I have 8 clay marble & marble marbles found in Monroe County
                    Georgia.
                    > > They could have been made for Creek Cherokee East Africans or for
                    early settlement childern around the Treaty of Indian Springs. If some
                    may recall these are of the 109 I use to have and was going to give to
                    AWS members... which ironiclly currently is at 101 members

                    > > min. Value is estimated at $200.00 each.
                    > >
                    > > Give Away
                    > > Whether you're a Freecycling or Freesharing group that is dedicated
                    to giving stuff away or you're a group that is about something else
                    entirely but just wants to make exchanges possible among group members,
                    this application makes it easier for folks to give stuff away.

                    > > be well,
                    > > jamey
                    > >

                    > > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, charles bruns
                    <charbruns@> wrote:

                    > > > send me all you want. alot depends on if you are hungry. chb

                    =
                  • Deb Twigg
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 19, 2012
                      Neat!

                      Deb Twigg
                      Executive Director
                      SRAC
                      607-727-3111

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 19, 2012
                        If Im not mistaken Larry mon, it seems it may have been our Sting Stone Stan (Min.Stan) who may have brought this up last year regarding these marbles that somewhat favor turtle eggs but smaller or around the subject of Klerksdorp spheres also.

                        be well,
                        jamey mon

                        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hancock <hancocklarry40@...> wrote:

                        > I once read how real marbles were made anciently by placing a small rounded stone in a hole or depressioin in the rock and letting running water fall on it and turn it until it was perfectly rounded.

                      • james m clark jr
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 19, 2012
                          I only have 8 out of 109 Oz
                          Only one clay the rest marble
                          No quartz marbles recovered.
                          Can't recall how many of those
                          It wasn't many something like

                          89 marble
                          14 quartz
                          7 clay

                          or whatever I said at AWS sometime
                          back.

                          Cousin kept one I suppose I had given
                          a few away that were marble and struck
                          one with a solid blow one I must of
                          thought was quartz split it about center
                          as man tring to dive a 8p nail with
                          a forceful intenton of sinking it in
                          2 licks. 1 tiny chip was missing as
                          I eye-balled it some more to see how
                          off centered I was which was barely
                          noticable from the halves... as I said
                          before this stone had a core in the
                          center. Never seen nothing like it.
                          Pit on one half the core in the other
                          dead center as far as I could tell.

                          When my brother had first shown me
                          these marbles and he told me where he
                          had found them at being on a horse ranch
                          I had assume that they may have been
                          some type of gall stone until I seen
                          the clay ones in the fish tank I really
                          had no interest in them.

                          If these babies were a projectile these
                          bad boy wasn't intended to rattle some
                          brains...damn Yuchi blow gun perhap?

                          be well,
                          jamey

                        • minnesotastan@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 28, 2012
                            " If Im not mistaken Larry mon, it seems it may have been our Sting
                            Stone Stan (Min.Stan) who may have brought this up last year regarding
                            these marbles that somewhat favor turtle eggs but smaller or around the
                            subject of Klerksdorp spheres also."

                            "I once read how real marbles were made anciently by placing a small
                            rounded stone in a hole or depressioin in the rock and letting running
                            water fall on it and turn it until it was perfectly rounded."

                            I don't remember having commenting on that topic in the past.
                            Near-perfect spheres can certainly be created by water tumbling a rock
                            in a depression (just find a river with some holes in the underlying
                            bedrock or holes at the base of cascades and look in the bottom). But
                            that kind of process takes forever. I'm sure ancient people would have
                            "harvested" such spheres for various purposes, but can't conceive of
                            them placing stones there in an effort to create spheres.

                            Just my opinion.