Fw: Check out Excavation of ancient Naples canal offers insight | The News-Press

  • Larry Hancock
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 16, 2012
      There was some discussion about canals a couple of weeks ago. A friend just sent me this, so I thought I would pass it on.

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 18, 2012
        Larry,

        Thanks for sending the  article on the ancient canal in Naples, Florida.  I found this 1885 statement particularly interesting:

        ....Andrew E. Douglass wrote of the canal in the 1885 Florida Antiquarian: "It is impossible to imagine the object of so vast and laborious an undertaking... But by whomever constructed and for whatever purpose, it is a work of great, and, we must suppose, well organized and intelligent labor, and well calculated to excite astonishment and admiration."

        Jamey,  I am not taking back the positive things I said in your regard, but in one of your numerous recent posts you added "shooting the breeze" to the subject heading.   With all of the Posts this 101 member group gets, I don't think most serious members appreciate having to read through long, breezy posts which also make references to activities and places many here likely do not understand.

        Our membership is still 101; the Messages page says 88 but all Yahoo groups show disparities in membership numbers between their Messages page and Home page. I did receive mail to the effect  that recent posts are getting way off track from the main purposes of this multicultural group.  We can always access some of the further details and promotional information you have told us about at your Native2 YahooGroup site.  I look at that site periodically and have interest in these things, myself.

        Jeff Bennett's post to the group brought more than a few ironic  chuckles from myself.   How many here knew that about 40's and 50's actors?   Not so funny though, are the distorted truths that have made up so much of the histories that have played out  within our schools and educational systems over the centuries.   Searchimg for the larger, accurate truths may be why  so many here join investigative groups such as ours.

        Charles, no need to leave the group.  You and Vince are longtime members most likely to take over the management of Ancient Waterways Society.  Stan, the founder and host has mentioned being increasingly busy in his personal life,  and is caring for his mother at home.

         I haven't been much good at co-hosting the past year or so.  I seem to be recovered from what once looked to be a later stage  progressive cancer. But my end of  co-hosting has been lagging in that i do not have a computer, but  an  iPad and a low grade, slow DSL service.  I cannot open most of the  YouTube links, attachments and sites members here send.

        Should Stan and I pass on management in the near future, I personally  hope there would be a third person perhaps from outside the United States to keep this group a global one, follwing the wisdom within the letter and spirit of "international waters" .

        Susan

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hancock <hancocklarry40@...> wrote:

        > There was some discussion about canals a couple of weeks ago. A friend just sent me this, so I thought I would pass it on.

      • Mark Bennett
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 18, 2012
          Happy that I made someone chuckle, but its Mark, not Jeff, Bennett.

        • james m clark jr
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 18, 2012
            Sss ssss ssss..... that is fuuny Lark

            You know AWS moderators all this deleto-boto hassle with email could be avoided if AWS had AWS interior Apps for members aka AWS Grouplets which is strickly Members Only... better overview of Group interests ect. but not publicly displayed.

            be well,
            jamey

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Bennett" <mlbennett@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > be recovered from what once looked to be a later stage progressive
            > > cancer. But my end of co-hosting has been lagging in that i do not have
            > > a computer, but an iPad and a low grade, slow DSL service. I cannot
            > > open most of the YouTube links, attachments and sites members here
            > > send.
            > > Should Stan and I pass on management in the near future, I personally
            > > hope there would be a third person perhaps from outside the United
            > > States to keep this group a global one, follwing the wisdom within the
            > > letter and spirit of "international waters" .
            > > Susan
            > >
            > > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hancock
            > > <hancocklarry40@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> There was some discussion about canals a couple of weeks ago. A friend
            > > just sent me this, so I thought I would pass it on.

          • james m clark jr
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 18, 2012
              ... and Yes I do realize this Susan that's why AWS needs Apps

              For one much of what I send via AWS's public Message page...if AWS had most of Yahoo Apps and enough grouplets/members... not only much of what I say would not be displayed publicly in messages or mailbox and if it was relevant (not many regions mentioned at AWS are relavent to me)are which could be for passerby's visiting sites in Georgia that I and others bring up regarding Georgia... AWS Apps provides maps to give direction to those places that could be listed not in links but in AWS App Maps... if ever enabled for all AWS members.

              be well,

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 19, 2012
                I think it would keep new people from joining in the discussion if they run across this site or if they get forwarded a post from a member that they might add some knowledge or information on a point of discussion.

                I think the main reason is to delete the usual spam that gets to all sites.

                Ted
                PS The canal discussion about the find in Florida is new to me an I did not mind reading about it at all.  We kind of closed out the speculation about Eastern Mosquito drainage canals as ancient geo-glyphs but there were obviously some canals built in pre history in North America, like the ones in the Southwest for irrigation.

              • james m clark jr
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 19, 2012
                  I think I understand what you are saying Ted

                  Susan you need the ipad download app & updates for whatever search
                  engine you use

                  and maybe a zip drive.

                  Ted

                  These apps aren't downloadable nor do they need constant updating
                  (Yahoo! does that!)

                  Apps if used adquitly ... would take us to where few Yahoo! groups have
                  gone before.

                  Apps would be more appealing in the interior of AWS Yahoo! also rather
                  than sending emails, posting or explaining message to be sent to mailbox
                  plus displayed publicly and off topics... I understand that
                  completely... this is a classic example attributed to mismanagement and
                  group abandonment over the past 15 yrs... it is common and reasonable
                  why people get ticked... It's basically junk mail discouraging and
                  deleto-bot time consuming for email recipants. So yes integritity is
                  blown out of poportion when a group without Apps isn't piped in and a
                  unsecure public group at that... AWS Apps could be our bunker that would
                  prevent many haphazards and project an overview group intersts to The
                  group as a whole. This accounts for some of the many bouncing emails
                  associated with groups and does not promote stabitity nor progress but
                  merely useless old habits without Applications.

                  My point of view is no AWS isn't more advanced than some of the over
                  rated mutimedia outlets... some are secure...we should be secure...
                  that's always a plus. But not all their apps are user friendly... these
                  are merely tools
                  but what they would do for AWS would provide back support and thruster
                  shields a perhaps a non slip deck for this here cyber ship asailing.

                  Capt. James M Clark
                  AWS Deffender

                  --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Ted Sojka

                • minnesotastan@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 28, 2012
                    "I haven't been much good at co-hosting the past year or so. I seem to
                    be recovered from what once looked to be a later stage progressive
                    cancer. But my end of co-hosting has been lagging in that i do not have
                    a computer, but an iPad and a low grade, slow DSL service. I cannot
                    open most of the YouTube links, attachments and sites members here
                    send."

                    "Should Stan and I pass on management in the near future, I personally
                    hope there would be a third person perhaps from outside the United
                    States to keep this group a global one, follwing the wisdom within the
                    letter and spirit of "international waters" .
                    -- Susan

                    I'd like to echo what Susan mentioned in her second paragraph above. I
                    plan to leave the AWS before mid-summer this year. When Susan and I
                    set up the board in 2004, the activity here was infrequent and easy to
                    monitor with monthly checks (note the "message history" table at the
                    bottom of the home page). In recent years the activity has ramped up
                    significantly, to the extent that it would be worthwhile for some
                    administrator to be here daily. I can't do that; I'm having a hard time
                    reading the posts just once a week.

                    I've also lost some of my enthusiasm for the subject matter, having
                    become progressively more distracted by personal and family matters.
                    I'm sure Susan and Vince can manage without me, but it would be nice to
                    have some other member step up to accept "moderator" status. When I
                    go, Susan will move up from Moderator to Owner of the board; the one
                    (significant) power this will consign to her will be that she will have
                    the power to click the "delete" button - which instantly vaporizes the
                    board and all its content into nonexistence. So you'll have to be nice
                    to her...
                  • TRAYLOROO
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 28, 2012
                      Your talking "old age" talk ... it reminds me of an email that came this morning. The author made the analogy that .... Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer to the end ... the faster it goes .... .
                      FIRST: You fearless leaders have done a great job.
                      SECOND: You need to create a job-description.
                      THIRD: Find the person/s that can handle that job ... per the description. That person may be a senior senior-citizen with years of reading in the area of interest to readers of this blog.
                      Which by the way, I think there are new eagle chicks. But the web sight has been commandeered by advertisers.
                        CAL

                      ==========================

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 29, 2012
                        This morning in junk mail was one stray bullet ... not junk. Why was it sent to me?  Try this in your search window =   Incontri per lo Studio delle Tradizioni Alpin

                        There are several organizations of-shore that are interested in what we would call "pre Columbian era." There are Vikings, and in Viking country they have Viking artifacts like we have Amerindian artifacts .... and Roman artifacts. I was there and saw, and: In Malta, I was present when such a group was convening to exchange B.C. (BPE) information. Their ruins pre-date the pyramids. Hopefully some of those groups have readers of this blog.
                        .
                        Susan et al .... your idea of a European contact is VERY IMPORTANT, I suggest they have answers to many of our questions ...
                         .
                        CAL

                        =================

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 29, 2012
                          I've always wondered why this isn't set up as a blog or a forum.

                          Is there any particular reason? It seems like either would be easier
                          and more powerful. A blog would be better than a forum, IMHO.

                          A blog can be set up so that all current members can post, and so that
                          all comments are unmoderated. If the occasional comments needs
                          deleting, that can be taken care of by one or two people on the rare
                          occasion it might be necessary.

                          I'd like to say that this board has been one of the best I've ever seen
                          for staying on topic, so going forward with a blog would be pretty
                          problem-free, I think.

                          But the bulletin board format like this seems to not be the best way
                          forward. It might be an apporopriate time to change it.

                          Steve Garcia

                          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, minnesotastan@...

                        • quarefremeruntgentes7@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 29, 2012
                            I would miss having a record of messages through my e-mail. This setup is also the easiest for those of us with limited internet access.

                            Another pitfall--I remember the ezboard site claiming "intellectual property rights" over any messages posted to their boards.

                            Just my two cents.

                            Jeff

                            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 29, 2012
                              "I've always wondered why this isn't set up as a blog or a forum.

                              Is there any particular reason? It seems like either would be easier
                              and more powerful. A blog would be better than a forum, IMHO.

                              A blog can be set up so that all current members can post, and so that
                              all comments are unmoderated. If the occasional comments needs
                              deleting, that can be taken care of by one or two people on the rare
                              occasion it might be necessary.

                              I'd like to say that this board has been one of the best I've ever seen
                              for staying on topic, so going forward with a blog would be pretty
                              problem-free, I think.

                              But the bulletin board format like this seems to not be the best way
                              forward. It might be an apporopriate time to change it.

                              Steve Garcia

                              Steve, I actually agree with you totally. The reason AWS is set up the
                              way it is is that this was the only thing I knew how to do when Susan
                              and I talked at an Ancient Earthworks Society meeting 8 years ago. That
                              was several years before I started my own blog, but I was familiar with
                              the Yahoo Groups from various investment discussion groups.

                              I don't particularly like the format here because the posts so often
                              incorporate past material and get endlessly complex. A blog would
                              probably be more manageable - and it would be way better for posting
                              photos and links.

                              If you'd like to set one up under the title "Ancient Waterways Society
                              blog," please feel free to do so. I don't think anyone here would
                              object to your using the AWS name (or another one if you prefer).
                              Personally I would recommend Google's Blogger as a host. It's free and
                              easy. Then just post a message here and let people migrate to the new
                              platform.

                              Stan
                            • Susan English
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 29, 2012
                                Stan, Steve Garcia and many here who have expressed interest in making a major change in format in behalf of this group. I am glad this discussion has come up. As a co-founder and co-host, here is my input:

                                I believe we should keep open the idea of who will become 'host', if that role would entail the ability to delete all of the posts, files, photos, and the group.  I'd hope the new host will continue with Stan's humility, lack of ego-centrism, candor in dealing with things of significance within this association.  As a retired educator, I have no doubt Stan inspired thousands of fine doctors as he has this group and thousands of members of his award-winning TYWKIYDBI blog.

                                No one, of course, owns the title.  During the 1980's I am likely the first person who used the term Ancient Waterways Society and a wooden sign on the back window of my vehicles to inspire conversation.  i infrequently also used the term Diffusionists Without Borders after my signature, both to make points with correspondents or  groups:  that waterways worldwide were (and in some ways still are) the roadways that interconnected peoples within and between continents .... long before we were divided, often isolated by tribe, nation, borders.

                                My 'politics' within all of this is, contrary to common belief is the belief that at the roots of all of us, that we were (and are) peaceful, loving, intelligent peoples...stronger and more creative when in respect of each other and reverent of Nature, than when greedy and destructive toward each other and our world.  The latter of which History provides plenty of evidence for.  I look for and am finding alternative evidence for  the opposite, often from some of you here.  Most important, is   the where, when and what that took place in all of these circumstances that reversed those once more intelligent and wise ways of living.

                                In whatever folks have for a group such as this, I believe people of diverse interests and backgrounds today -- via the global waterways of our ancient ancestors -- may find common ground and freedom of access  through "international waters", which we try to allow here.  During the 1980's as a graduate student in ancient world Socio-cultural studies (w/Peace Studies minor) and,  as a U. S. resident, I was determined  to go beyond the confines of nation implied by terms as "Ancient American" or "PreColumbian", both of which made up the focus of most of my affiliations and educational background.  The Ancient Waterways Society that has become this group includes folks whose interests span cultural, international,  educational backgrounds, diverse beliefs, and ways of living.

                                I too have encouraged members' own personal use of the term Ancient Waterways Society with hope that a mutually-enhancing focus on waterways and peoples be kept inclusively international, inter-tribal, respectful, and inclusive of teachings of wisdomkeepers as well as the Sciences,  which have withstood the tests of time or scrutiny of measure.

                                This group and your mutual contributions at a group such as this seems to be an experiment as well a dream come true for me.  Changing the format may encourage the free exchange of even more people, and I do hope this group continues to expand beyond the boundaries that stifle the freedoms in format and thoughtful expression of many other associations.

                                My gratitude to Pam Giese, now living in the United Kingdom, for her input starting an internet Ancient Waterways Society years ago when I was even less computer adept.  And always toward Stan --- a stranger when I met him --- for setting up and continuing to host this fine Ancient Waterways Society via YahooGroups.  I respect his input into this group's guidelines and our resulting inclusive and diversely global scope.  And that  there has been no single moderator or dominating force here; instead,  many dozens of folks moderating and helping to maintain the integrity of this association, as a whole.  There are sound ideas presented here that I have not run across anywhere, hence the reason for many scientists, authors, professionals and others who do not join internet groups yet check Posts at this site from time to time. I appreciate that many of you have been so inspired, yourselves, that you have become members.

                                In closing, again, though a co-founder here, I only have an IPad, it is difficult to do anything other than look up links, follow posts and do some unformatted correspondence.  I too hope this group remains mutually moderating, and that if there are to be hosts and co-hosts, that they be representative of the geographical, cultural, and other diversities within the group.  I too have long encouraged members' personal use of the term Ancient Waterways Society with hopes that focus on waterways and peoples be kept inclusively global, mutually enhancing, respectful, and leaning heavily toward a scientific base.

                                Susan English

                                Sent from my iPad

                                On Apr 29, 2012, at 2:35 PM, minnesotastan@... wrote:

[...]

                                =
                              • james m clark jr
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 30, 2012
                                  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ancient_waterways_society/grouplets/subscriptions

                                  Nothing major is really needed. Jeff is right email is one user friendly option. AWS wants to remain public and at the same time
                                  flexibility is a good thing. Stability has recently become an issue at MixedBloodNatives at Yahoo! Hopefully there are at least 5% of grouplets willing to help out of 822 members.

                                  All groups at Yahoo! needs most of the Apps options available to be updated. This of course would be limited to Yahoo! AWS group infrastructure. Some folks would naturally be more comfortable with & within these additional settings to utilize all group connections.
                                  Apps improve our virtual option field. Who know perhaps an AWS Poll would be helpful to determine group interests as well. This is the first thing I did at Texas Tech in 2002 or 2003. I didn't slay any giants there perhaps because I didn't stay within the box. What enjoyment could anyone get out of that? It would be misleading as some profile options are.

                                  jmcjr

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 7, 2012
                                    Members,

                                    SRAC director, Deb Twigg emailed management that she wished her membership be removed from this group?  i personally am sorry to see her leave; my observations are that this fine researcher has dedicated years in her efforts, takes her work and the relationships around that work very seriously.  Deb asked that we tell members who have been emailing her to stop doing so, and that she will make no replies.

                                    Over the weekend I was camped out of Internet range for two or three days and see that yesterday, co-host Vince Barrows found it necessary to delete eight Posts from the group.  For some reason I did not receive copies in my email box, as I usually do, and missed reading the deleted messages and their specifics.  But I do see some posts trailing after remaining posts....seems there were some group-moderating/'policing' efforts made by members.

                                     Vince, as a co-host, has the power to delete and likely felt that he had reasons for removal of each of the posts.  We have had a number of members resign their membership  in the past  for similar type situations such as when curator of the  Copper Culture State at that time, Ms. Bebow-Reinhard left the group.  I have left a number of YahooGroups and other associations,  myself, for varying reasons.  Usually due to no longer relating to the groups' subject matter,  or too much ego from the host or small, insensitive clicque of members.

                                    Please, every posting member consider the basics of why you and we are here as a group.   I agree with Steve Garcia that deletions should be a rare occasion, and this group was  set up and has done reasonably well as a group-moderating association.  Stan and i initially and still continue to try to keep the format of this intercommuncations research group simple.  I do not know if we have more than a couple or three dozen members still even following posts the past couple of years.  I personally am not interested in Polls as they generate few responses.  And certainly not Chats.  With Stan soon leaving as host,  and my not having the ability to be host or devote more time than I am putting in here, perhaps it is a good time to also re-evaluate if there is need or desire to continue the Ancient Waterways Society group much longer.  I know I have enjoyed the association, but frankly do not know if there has been much serious 'associating', inter-relating of each others' research interests or geograpical locslities, or even welcoming or mutual encouragement since the membership has grown.

                                     I am not interested in a group filled with parochial chit-chat  or silly computer lingo that most here have no understanding of.  Most of us get far too much of that on Facebook, Twitter, etc....

                                    As said before, it is a good thing we are reevaluating our own and this group's purposes and future direction together.  I hope we continue as a serious international research group along ancient, global waterways, but many groups fulfill their purposes, and perhaps that is the case here.  We shall see.

                                    Susan, a co-founder and co-host

                                    --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, minnesotastan@... E

                                    > "I haven't been much good at co-hosting the past year or so. I seem to
                                    > be recovered from what once looked to be a later stage progressive
                                    > cancer. But my end of co-hosting has been lagging in that i do not have
                                    > a computer, but an iPad and a low grade, slow DSL service. I cannot
                                    > open most of the YouTube links, attachments and sites members here
                                    > send."
                                    >
                                    > "Should Stan and I pass on management in the near future, I personally
                                    > hope there would be a third person perhaps from outside the United
                                    > States to keep this group a global one, follwing the wisdom within the
                                    > letter and spirit of "international waters" .
                                    > -- Susan
                                    >
                                    > I'd like to echo what Susan mentioned in her second paragraph above. I
                                    > plan to leave the AWS before mid-summer this year. When Susan and I
                                    > set up the board in 2004, the activityities,  here was infrequent and easy to
                                    > monitor with monthly checks (note the "message history" table at the
                                    > bottom of the home page). In recent years the activity has ramped up
                                    > significantly, to the extent that it would be worthwhile for some
                                    > administrator to be here daily. I can't do that; I'm having a hard time
                                    > reading the posts just once a week.
                                    >
                                    > I've also lost some of my enthusiasm for the subject matter, having
                                    > become progressively more distracted by personal and family matters.
                                    > I'm sure Susan and Vince can manage without me, but it would be nice to
                                    > have some other member step up to accept "moderator" status. When I
                                    > go, Susan will move up from Moderator to Owner of the board; the one
                                    > (significant) power this will consign to her will be that she will have
                                    > the power to click the "delete" button - which instantly vaporizes the
                                    > board and all its content into nonexistence. So you'll have to be nice
                                    > to her...

                                  • charles bruns
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 7, 2012
                                      It seems I have cost you a brilliant member, friend, and publisher.  I will always treasure the information I have received from AWS and the stimulation from various members, some of whom I have great respect for and am always interested in what they say.  I have always been an advocate of tolerance and free speach.  I am also guilty of not sufferring fools gladly, and if my remarks offend some let me withdraw everything to soothe delicate ears.  Guess I am one of the guys who has made you all a laughing stock to the establishment.  Please remove my name and membership from this group, I had no idea how devastating my comments were nor how offended others would be.  So sorry, my apolopies.  chb

> [...]

                                      > bottom of the home page). In recent years the activity has ramped up
                                      > significantly, to the extent that it would be worthwhile for some
                                      > administrator to be here daily. I can't do that; I'm having a hard time
                                      > reading the posts just once a week.
                                      >
                                      > I've also lost some of my enthusiasm for the subject matter, having
                                      > become progressively more distracted by personal and family matters.
                                      > I'm sure Susan and Vince can manage without me, but it would be nice to
                                      > have some other member step up to accept "moderator" status. When I
                                      > go, Susan will
                                      move up from Moderator to Owner of the board; the one
                                      > (significant) power this will consign to her will be that she will have
                                      > the power to click the "delete" button - which instantly vaporizes the
                                      > board and all its content into nonexistence. So you'll have to be nice

                                    • TRAYLOROO
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 7, 2012
                                        Many years ago I had a friend who had become a brigadier general and served in the Philippines in the Big War, WWII.  He said several times that .... even the lowest private knew something he did not know ....  From him I learned many things .... but I think that was the most important ....

                                        Another important addition to my learing was .....  we all are cousins .... This includes every person on earth today.

                                        Some where up the branches of our family tree our lines merge to the one trunk.

                                        Source from Internet, search for:   DNA REGRESSION 220,000

                                        Cousin CAL

                                        Maybe if Charles would have some crow for breakfast, then return and share some info with us from time to time ...

                                          ===========================

> [...]

                                        > bottom of the home page). In recent years the activity has ramped up
                                        > significantly, to the extent that it would be worthwhile for some
                                        > administrator to be here daily. I can't do that; I'm having a hard time
                                        > reading the posts just once a week.
                                        >
                                        > I've also lost some of my enthusiasm for the subject matter, having
                                        > become progressively more distracted by personal and family matters.
                                        > I'm sure Susan and Vince can manage without me, but it would be nice to
                                        > have some other member step up to accept "moderator" status. When I
                                        > go, Susan will
                                        move up from Moderator to Owner of the board; the one
                                        > (significant) power this will consign to her will be that she will have
                                        > the power to click the "delete" button - which instantly vaporizes the
                                        > board and all its content into nonexistence. So you'll have to be nice

                                      • TRAYLOROO
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 7, 2012
                                          NOW to Cousin Deb .... You come back .... Lets limp along together ....

                                          Cousin  Cal