Fwd: "Learning Native Wisdom", Holthaus

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2012
      Pardon the typos of the previous message.

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...>
      Date: April 10, 2012 10:34:46 AM CDT
      Subject: "Learning Native Wisdom"

      There is a great book called "Learning Native Wisdom", by Gary Holthaus,  University Press of Kentucky,   ISBN978-0-8131-2487-2

      Gary has spent a life, learning from others in Alaska, Montana, Hudson Bay area, and about anywhere he has gone.  He visited my town for three months this past Winter.   He met many local people here in Northeast Iowa, and wrote some reflections on those he met and what they had to say.

      At the Library here I picked up the book on Native Wisdom,  adorned with photos of native fisherman in aluminum boats and a fine old photo of a traditional fishing net being mended by a native, and if you look close you will see the net weights which could have been in use for thousands of years.  It is probably an Edwin S Curtis photo or maybe of a contemporary.

      The subtitle is , "What traditional cultures teach us about Subsistence, Sustainability, and Spirituality"

      It is wonderful story about education for the long haul, and that among the Innuit is many thousands of years.   I think most  ancient waterways people would have a good read with this book.  As the culture we have ignored global warning signs, this might be a wake up call on how we can weather this coming event.   The hackneyed word "sustainable" is part of the answer, but Mr. Holthaus says it must be part of the culture and its beliefs, before ti will work, using models that have been around for thousands of years.   If any of you get the book from your library it would make a good topic for discussion on this site.

      ted