Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: The Prince of Wales in 1170-1190 Madoc/Madog

  • quarefremeruntgentes7@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 2, 2012
      Hi, I noticed your reference to Karl Bodmer's documentaries, and am wondering whether he has any presence on the internet, or YouTube.

      Warm Regards,

      Jeff Lewin
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...>
      Sender: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:45:59 -0500
      To: <ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com>; Prophecykeepers Foundation<prophecykeepersdotcom@...>
      ReplyTo: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: The Prince of Wales in 1170-1190 Madoc/Madog

      You should write to Gerard Baker, a Mandan descendant of the family that took in Lewis and Clark for the Winter of 1803-04.  Having house guests for a weekend we can all relate to, but 40 explorers and their big Newfoundland dog must have been a challenge.  Their towns do resemble medieval forts when you see them in the paintings of Karl Bodmer and others.  He was the painter that went along on Prince Maximillian's expedition in the 1830's, with hired painters to document the voyage, much like Cousteau did with film when he went up the Mississippi in the Calypso.

      Gerard is featured in several of the Ken Burns documentaries, and the book by Dayton Duncan who is one of the researchers for the National Parks series.   Mr. Baker was at Custer Battlefield as Supt. of the Park , the re-creaton of the Lewis and Clark expedition, and most recently as Supt. of Mt. Rushmore.   Tough places to work as a first nation person. You might get an address from National Park Service, as he has just recently retired.
      Ted
      PS
      The Mandans make jokes about the Arikara like Norwegians tell about Swedes.

      On Mar 23, 2011, at 12:35 PM, Prophecykeepers Foundation wrote:

      You are welcome...

      and I forgot to say that John Sevier investigated the sandbar where Oconostota told him a battle against the Welsh occured, and found artifacts with dolphin inscription, indicating Welsh origins.

      I met a Mandan/Arkara fellow back in 1998, whose grandmother was one of the last two or three native speakers of their language, which she was helping to transcribe... and he said they all take for granted the Madoc story.

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2, 2012
        Dear Jeff,

        The largest collection of Karl Bodmer's work is in the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha.

        A book you might get at your library is called, "People of the First Man", that contains a good record of the journey.

        It was a Cousteau style expedition in the early 1800's up the Missouri River where Bodmer served as the artist to record the wildlife, the scenery, and the people he met. No cameras back then, and if you see the watercolors he did of the white cliffs of the Missouri or the Great Falls, and the "castle" of white rock along the banks of the river.  He did a scene of countless bison crossing the river and caused the steamboat they rode to stop for fear of clogging its paddle wheel.   it is a time machine to get back to that era.  The portraits are particularly wonderful.  They are more than pictures of the people, and a record of the change that was overcoming their societies.  Bull boats made from bison hides at Fort Mandan is a great picture to view.  When one considers it was not long after the Lewis and Clark expedition, there is a lot of change in evidence.  I visited the late sculpture of the Crazy Horse memorial and he had a great collection of portraits from the previous century, one that comes to mind is young woman named,"Mint".

        The Steven Ambrose books on the Missouri tell of many things that went under water when the great dams were built on this river in Montana and North and South Dakotas.

        Bodmer's works were stored in a castle in Germany, along with buffalo robes with Winter Counts painted on them,and a great variety of clothing he traded for on the expedition.  At the end of the Second World War, the residents and the heirs to Prince Maximilian, who financed the expedition thought they should be given back to America.  It is quite a collection.  A time capsule of sorts.  The castle had been used by the SS during the war but the artifacts were not harmed.

        I once met Gerard Baker who was Superintendent of the Custer Battlefield, Mount Rushmore, and the 200th Anniversary of the Lewis and Clark expedition, said he owed a debt to the painter and the art teachers who introduced him to relatives from long ago.  He is the highest ranking first nation person in the National Parks Service, and a good friend of Dayton Duncan and Ken Burns.   One of his relatives hosted Lewis and Clark in the Mandan village in which they wintered over the 1304-05 years.  The Hidatsa and Mandan both built towns and may have been the remnants of what are called the Oneota, according to some people.  That word in Sioux means the town builders or those that make the towns, and I think I heard that from Allison Hedge Coke.  She is  a first nation educator and poet and has written of this time from am area that was called Blood Run, on the Iowa and South Dakota border.
        I introduced Mr. Baker to a descendant of the two Ordways who were on the Lewis and Clark expedition, one of them was elected to the post of sergeant by the men, when Sergeant Floyd died of what is thought appendicitis near Sioux City, Iowa.

        Ted Sojka
        Native Earthworks Preservation-Iowa

      • james m clark jr
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 3, 2012
          I couldn't believe it but this title is actually listed in the Georgia Pines Library System Catlaog. But there is no statement as to which or if any branch currently has it or if it is merely a request.
          Perhaps it is avalable upon request from a University loaners program such as Mercery University. They have donated many books from Jstor in times past but hardback books are a liitle more valuable than they use to be regarding collectables or new... assuming that if this is so, it's perhaps the best news I can imagine in recent years.

          Thanks guys,
          jamey

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 7, 2012
            Jeff here, following up on an old thread.

            While I disagree with various points raised by Alan Wilson and Baird Blackett, as a member of the Welsh diaspora, I still have a natural interest in many aspects of their work.

            Disagreements aside, I remember multiple occasions, beginning in late 2005, when I followed a friend's suggestion to research new studies of Arthurian history. My friend specifically referred to the discovery of a Tomb of King Arthur. After repeated attempts on my part, I do not remember any internet search engines ever connecting me to any site relating to Alan Wilson's and Baram Blackett's studies.

            It was only this month that I finally followed this 2011 thread to some YouTube videos mentioning Prince Madoc, and then followed a link to Wilson's and Blackett's site.

            I am not sure why these sites were so difficult to track down, although I suppose my query terms might have been too vague.

            Jeff Lewin

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 7, 2012
              Ixquick's search engine rates the following link at 3 stars for most visited site.

              http://kingarthurslegacy.com/

              Perhaps it is a good time to bring this up again, I have yet found a a maternal link to this so called prince. There is a Madoc that was an heir much later who could have made such a claim as a claimant, although I am not even aware that he ever did in all his living days.

              I can only assume that this is a modern projection for I have yet seen an anglo saxon chat that even includes a Madoc or Madog in it.
              Perhaps one of the latter day Princes will include maybe one spoken of in the long list of heirs uttered... But even if the record exists online it wouldn't seem to include a non apparent trans-Atlantic Prince or even an heir... Perhaps this is merely a trans-Atlantic title only possible in a land not of their own but welcome nevertheless as a claimant which would have granted passage and apparently a sense of settlement.

              privite Yahoo! group:

              Aug.9, 2011

              Jamey,
              I'm not sure what you've got here. Did Oconostota make some statement about Moon-eyed people and Madoc? This pedigree link you listed was for Madoc (Madog ab Howel Velyn, son of Howel Velyn) born about 1206 and lived in the south end of Wales in Glamorgan. Madoc (Madog ab Owain Gwynedd, son of Owain Gwynedd) was the one who supposedly fled to North America, lived in 1170 in northeast Wales in Gwynedd. Granted, there is only about 130 miles difference between those locales. Madoc may have been a very common first name in those centuries in Wales. So the time, the locale, and the parentage don't look like a proper connection between the Madog ab Howel Velyn and Madog ab Owain Gwynedd.
              Thanks for the post anyway, as it would be interesting to see what Oconostota said about Moon-eyed people.
              Paul ...

              be well,
              jamey