Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Pequaming, Michigan

  • Larry Hancock
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
      Thanks Susan,
      I have been reading Gavin Menzies The Lost Empire of Atlantis. He argues that Minoans, before the destruction of Thera, were transporting copper back to Crete from Michigan. What you sent helps put his claims in perspective.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
        that is pretty much what I am currently thinking.  always willing to consider new insights.  chb

[...]

        http://www.aaapf.org/photo_gallery.asp?ItemID=64

        oops...time almost out here at the library, but just found this about Huron Mountain and dolmen:
        http://books.google.com/books?id=8Rv64wjtnnoC&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=Mt.+Huron+Michigan,++Norse+Dolmen&source=web&ots=r8FjLZvnxX&sig=usiQvNXmHGTGkNpyDDLmWHg8uns&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#v=onepage&q=Mt.%20Huron%20Michigan%2C%20%20Norse%20Dolmen&f=false

        Susan
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
          Welcome to the new member, joinmox100
          Please feel free to introduce yourself, and sign with at least a first name
          or nickname-especially all of you members
          here with long screen names.
          Soon  as I know incoming members are not Spam messages
           (which appens fairly regularly),
          i will email you a welcome letter.

          The following is from a chapter by Gavin Menzies who was brought
          up a few days ago re: yhr Michigan stone circle.  Retired Professor
          Jim Scherz, a member of our group, is mentioned.  I've not yet read
          any of Menzies' books.

          Cal, i did  not know there was an instrument called an arrow remover;
           found a photo of one type from the 1500's...ouch):
            http://rarepictures4all.blogspot.com/2011/06/old-surgical-instrum
          ----------------------
          Below is a book by Ron Stiebe about the area near Pequaming on Lake
           Superior. We have two copies in our loaner library that I'd be glad to
          mail any members. Just know it is early historic.  .Anyone planning to
          travel in the area of Pequaming, Keweenaw Bay, etc. there is a large
          wooded campground on the Sand Point beach run by the Keweenaw
           Bay Indian Community. A huge pow wow there draws thousands every year.

          Ojibwa Campground, $8/night:
          http://www.coppercountry.com/OjibwaCampground.php

          Map shows location in Baraga, Michigan (Upper Peninsula).

          Ron Stiebe
          Mystery People of the Cove: A History Of The Lake Superior Ouinipegou
           "The book is a discussion of the early inhabitants of Sand Pointe. Ron, through
          careful study, has identified these Woodland Indians and has changed the Nicolet
          theory. His section, "Nicolet Myth and The Real Journey" will give you a clear
          understanding of how the historians placed him in Green Bay when in truth he
          was here in Baraga County! The book contains many interesting photos and side
           stories, including the rock chirns of Pequaming, The Bentzen Stone, carved in
          1647, The Mystery Stone a Dolmen found in the Huron Mountains along with
          documentation of early traders and missionaries."  (From Baraga County
          Historical Museum website)
           ----------
          To access previous Posts from our group in regard to any subject,  go to
          the Messages page and insert the subject matter such as "Beaver  island,"
           "Lake Michigan stone circle", etc.  even the name of a group member into
           the browser.  You should get all messages/responses  from the last three
           or four years on that topic or person listed.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
            Mr. Lewin might start with the book 1491 or with Zinn's History of America to begin his study of the relations of first nation history and those who came later.
            ted

          • quarefremeruntgentes7@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
              Not likely, I don't have any use for Zinn's revolutionary ideology.

              Jeff Lewin

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...>
              Sender: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 09:03:49 -0600
              To: <ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Pequaming, Michigan

[...]

            • Mark Bennett
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
                I agree. Mark Bennett

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
                  Inasmuch as the inclination to err is intrinsic to human nature, the message and ethos of the New Testament will occasionally get distorted, and I regard the crooked ideals of the Christian advocates of colonialism as instances of this.

                  Prior to the 5th century, slavery and exploitation was practiced by all urbanized societies known to have existed. There is no evidence of any efforts to emancipate slaves prior to the time of the Christian Byzantine Emperor Justinian--and Justinian's motivate was to put his biblical ethos into practice. This was, likewise, the objective of such abolitionists as John Newton, William Wilburforce, John Brown--and that of Alexander IV, the Tsar who emancipated Russia's serfs.

                  Zinn's ideology regarded human beings merely as the most intelligent of animals. This, for all intents and purposes, was the same view of humanity whereby the fomentors of the Bolshevic Revolution rationalized the mass-slaughter of their former comrades in bloody purges.

                  Efforts to 'reform' the atrocities and injustices of colonialism based on such a crass and callous ideology are predestined to failure, ruin, and depravity--and this is practically always what we observe in the legacies of those who, in past times, have advocated such opinions. Concerning this history, I could recount such names as de Sade; Jacques Roux; Jacques Hebert; Robespierre; Dzugashvili, a.k.a. 'Stalin'; Beria; Mao Tse Tung; Kim Il Sung; Khruschev; Castro; Lumumba; Brezhnev; Pol Pot; Andropov; Hoeniker, etc.

                  Jeff Lewin

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
                    To put it mildly, revolutionary efforts to subvert the message of the New Testament, such as the late Mr. Zinn advocated, are incompatible with my ideals, methods, and objectives.

                    QUOTE:
                    "Oh liberty, what crimes are committed in your name!"
                    --last recorded words of Mme. Roland de Planaire, a Girondist moderate, on the occasion of her execution by French Revolutionaries

                    Jeff Lewin

                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T