Pequaming, Mich.

  • Larry Hancock
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2 10:49 AM
      Does anyone have any information about the perched rock in Pequaming carved with a prehistoric "Caucasoid" face and aligned to a dolmen on top of Huron Mountain and in line with the winter solstice sunrise?
    • Susan English
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2 11:33 AM
        Larry,
        I sent a brief note addressing  your question to Ancient Artifacts Preservation Society/AAPS secretary Judy Johnson and her husband, Glenn who is president of the association.  I have not heard of this face but

          I have helped survey and also stayed in Pequaming several times, AAPS had at least a couple of meetings out there...  i happen to be in this photo at Carmody Point, from 2006, via AAPS link:  http://www.aaapf.org/photo_gallery.asp?ItemID=57
        The following cairn-like structures photographed during the early 1900's is at the above location; Henry Ford owned countless acres around that area, probably that site, too.  I recall the owner showing me his favorite  waterway place to sit where he can watch the sun rise and sun set.

        oops...time almost out here at the library, but just found this about Huron Mountain and dolmen:

        Susan

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2 12:36 PM
          Thanks Susan,
          I have been reading Gavin Menzies The Lost Empire of Atlantis. He argues that Minoans, before the destruction of Thera, were transporting copper back to Crete from Michigan. What you sent helps put his claims in perspective.

          Does anyone have any information about the perched rock in Pequaming carved with a prehistoric "Caucasoid" face and aligned to a dolmen on top of Huron Mountain and in line with the winter solstice sunrise?
        • charles bruns
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2 1:57 PM
            that is pretty much what I am currently thinking.  always willing to consider new insights.  chb

[...]

            http://www.aaapf.org/photo_gallery.asp?ItemID=64

            oops...time almost out here at the library, but just found this about Huron Mountain and dolmen:
            http://books.google.com/books?id=8Rv64wjtnnoC&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=Mt.+Huron+Michigan,++Norse+Dolmen&source=web&ots=r8FjLZvnxX&sig=usiQvNXmHGTGkNpyDDLmWHg8uns&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#v=onepage&q=Mt.%20Huron%20Michigan%2C%20%20Norse%20Dolmen&f=false

            Susan
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5 5:18 PM
              Welcome to the new member, joinmox100
              Please feel free to introduce yourself, and sign with at least a first name
              or nickname-especially all of you members
              here with long screen names.
              Soon  as I know incoming members are not Spam messages
               (which appens fairly regularly),
              i will email you a welcome letter.

              The following is from a chapter by Gavin Menzies who was brought
              up a few days ago re: yhr Michigan stone circle.  Retired Professor
              Jim Scherz, a member of our group, is mentioned.  I've not yet read
              any of Menzies' books.

              Cal, i did  not know there was an instrument called an arrow remover;
               found a photo of one type from the 1500's...ouch):
                http://rarepictures4all.blogspot.com/2011/06/old-surgical-instrum
              ----------------------
              Below is a book by Ron Stiebe about the area near Pequaming on Lake
               Superior. We have two copies in our loaner library that I'd be glad to
              mail any members. Just know it is early historic.  .Anyone planning to
              travel in the area of Pequaming, Keweenaw Bay, etc. there is a large
              wooded campground on the Sand Point beach run by the Keweenaw
               Bay Indian Community. A huge pow wow there draws thousands every year.

              Ojibwa Campground, $8/night:
              http://www.coppercountry.com/OjibwaCampground.php

              Map shows location in Baraga, Michigan (Upper Peninsula).

              Ron Stiebe
              Mystery People of the Cove: A History Of The Lake Superior Ouinipegou
               "The book is a discussion of the early inhabitants of Sand Pointe. Ron, through
              careful study, has identified these Woodland Indians and has changed the Nicolet
              theory. His section, "Nicolet Myth and The Real Journey" will give you a clear
              understanding of how the historians placed him in Green Bay when in truth he
              was here in Baraga County! The book contains many interesting photos and side
               stories, including the rock chirns of Pequaming, The Bentzen Stone, carved in
              1647, The Mystery Stone a Dolmen found in the Huron Mountains along with
              documentation of early traders and missionaries."  (From Baraga County
              Historical Museum website)
               ----------
              To access previous Posts from our group in regard to any subject,  go to
              the Messages page and insert the subject matter such as "Beaver  island,"
               "Lake Michigan stone circle", etc.  even the name of a group member into
               the browser.  You should get all messages/responses  from the last three
               or four years on that topic or person listed.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 6 7:03 AM
                Mr. Lewin might start with the book 1491 or with Zinn's History of America to begin his study of the relations of first nation history and those who came later.
                ted

              • quarefremeruntgentes7@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6 7:29 AM
                  Not likely, I don't have any use for Zinn's revolutionary ideology.

                  Jeff Lewin

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  From: Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...>
                  Sender: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 09:03:49 -0600
                  To: <ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Pequaming, Michigan

[...]

                • Mark Bennett
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6 9:31 AM
                    I agree. Mark Bennett

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6 9:32 AM
                      Inasmuch as the inclination to err is intrinsic to human nature, the message and ethos of the New Testament will occasionally get distorted, and I regard the crooked ideals of the Christian advocates of colonialism as instances of this.

                      Prior to the 5th century, slavery and exploitation was practiced by all urbanized societies known to have existed. There is no evidence of any efforts to emancipate slaves prior to the time of the Christian Byzantine Emperor Justinian--and Justinian's motivate was to put his biblical ethos into practice. This was, likewise, the objective of such abolitionists as John Newton, William Wilburforce, John Brown--and that of Alexander IV, the Tsar who emancipated Russia's serfs.

                      Zinn's ideology regarded human beings merely as the most intelligent of animals. This, for all intents and purposes, was the same view of humanity whereby the fomentors of the Bolshevic Revolution rationalized the mass-slaughter of their former comrades in bloody purges.

                      Efforts to 'reform' the atrocities and injustices of colonialism based on such a crass and callous ideology are predestined to failure, ruin, and depravity--and this is practically always what we observe in the legacies of those who, in past times, have advocated such opinions. Concerning this history, I could recount such names as de Sade; Jacques Roux; Jacques Hebert; Robespierre; Dzugashvili, a.k.a. 'Stalin'; Beria; Mao Tse Tung; Kim Il Sung; Khruschev; Castro; Lumumba; Brezhnev; Pol Pot; Andropov; Hoeniker, etc.

                      Jeff Lewin

                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6 9:35 AM
                        To put it mildly, revolutionary efforts to subvert the message of the New Testament, such as the late Mr. Zinn advocated, are incompatible with my ideals, methods, and objectives.

                        QUOTE:
                        "Oh liberty, what crimes are committed in your name!"
                        --last recorded words of Mme. Roland de Planaire, a Girondist moderate, on the occasion of her execution by French Revolutionaries

                        Jeff Lewin

                        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T