Copper

  • Larry Hancock
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 24, 2012
    Copper Oxhide from Warren Dexter's America's Ancient Stone Relics.
    Elizabeth Copper Mine, Strafford, VT.
    Message 2 of 8 , Feb 25, 2012
      Larry,
      I appreciate your submitting several resources on ancient copper, oxhides.  As Ted, I hope you will elaborate further on what looks to be a mold, and the location of the morning star shaped ox-hide.  Was your reference to a Lee Farm, or a "Lea" farm and mounds on the Clinch River in Tennessee? Here's another possibility for Pre-historic  smelting within the Americas.
      It is good you re- titled your last two posts before sending.  For the sake of accessibility,  perhaps you will put the earlier copper-related attachments into another post, or our group Files, Photos, or Links.  It made the responses complicated after I sent one rather than two separate posts when bringing up Francisco's interesting topic and link, as well as Renoud's papers on Crete and Copper.

      Regarding ancient copper, I lifted the following from one of the attachments Larry Hancock sent:

      (illustration, p. 30,  Warren Dexter, 1995) ..." Ogam (vowelless) writing again appears in upper Michigan in the form of the name of Baal on two almost identical amulets....In ancient times the shape of the commodity of copper was in the form of an oxhyde because it was by weight (about 62 #) and shape comfortable with man's ability to carry.  In later eras when inflation set in that shape remained the same but the size diminished proportionately.  "

      The two amulets reportedly inscribed with BAAL symbology listed in Dexter's book said one was on display in , Michigan  and the other [at MTU] in Houghton, Michigan.  I engaged In many conversations with Ruth, the (now deceased) curator of the Ontonagon museum who had a personal file cabinet in her museum office that was predominantly cross-cultural diffusionist related.  Yet, i have heard no mention through the years of either amulet in Ontonagon  or at Michigan Tech. University in Houghton.

      Hopefully member Bob Wheeler of Houghton is following posts. At least two epigraphers and others who have visited his Houghon  site believe symbols on at least two half-buried buried boulders are BAAL inscriptions.  The Houghton "Wheeler" glyphs were found only several years ago when Robert's family began preparing land for a garden; the site is carefully protected awaiting archaeological investigation.  So far neither interest nor funding for formal excavation or study has come forth.

      See our Photos section for photos of the two Wheeler site petroglyphs. Robert is also the founder of the Copper Country Ancient Sites Preservation Society which meets the first Friday or Saturday of the month at the Portage County Public library in downtown Houghton.  I don't have the web site handy but do not believe it is updated to recent and forthcoming meetings.

      Member  Renoud deJong wrote a paper on the Sailing Ship petroglyph near Copper Harbor, fifty or so miles north of Houghton, but the Slideshare links posted earlier are not active. Renoud, if you have written a report  on the Houghton petroglyphs, could you post the link?  Or, your thoughts about the inscriptions' symbology, possible origins, dating, etc.

      Thank you all.

      Sent my iPad

      Message 3 of 8 , Feb 25, 2012
        Susan I tried to put the photos (2) with my message, but they would not copy from facebook to add to my e mail.

        The first photos showed examples of Venus in art from Central America, and the second photo showed a 4 armed mold in the ground in Tennessee that was in the same pattern.  It was in the shape of your typical Hide from the bronze age in Europe.

        Ted