Re: [ancient_waterways_society] further proof of Polynesian -South American contact

  • Larry Hancock
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 1.2 MB

    --- On Fri, 2/24/12, Susan English <beldingenglish@...> wrote:

    From: Susan English <beldingenglish@...>
    Subject: [ancient_waterways_society] further proof of Polynesian -South American contact
    To: "ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com" <ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com>
    Date: Friday, February 24, 2012, 5:15 PM

    Intriguing possibilities for diffusion here, Francisco.  I came across a similarly produced brew in ancient Egypt but cannot find the link.

    Early in my marriage we manufactured a lot of beer and wine using our bathtub for fermentation.  Now, the only thing I ferment--- a gallon or two at a time--  is a fungi and yeast health beverage called Kombiucha  (or, kvass, manchurian tea, Soumonto, and terms from dozens of regions around the world).
    I therefore found the article and its manufacture particularly interesting.  Some of you might enjoy this short Youtube Old Masters Chicha-brewing (and chewing) website.  Far back into antiquity making intentional use of human saliva for enzymes, and likely too various bacteria and yeasts, in order to produce a beneficial product further raises my admiration of the ingenuity of ancient people.  Even more when evidence indicates that  these important concoctions may have been shared across extensive regions/waterways of the world.

    There is also a web site put out by the Smithsonian called the Beer Archaelogist /links to Chicha and other ancient beverages.

    Thank you too, Renoud deJong (from the Netherlands), for submitting into our Files three more interrelated articles which appear to be recently written.  First link includes a very good photo of  a copper oxide from Crete, presumably designed as such for easier transport. Does anyone have a photo, or know if ancient copper oxhides have been found within the Americas?

    COPPER & TIN FROM AMERICA:

    LIFE ON CRETE (Phaistos Disc, c. 1458 B. C.):

    DECIPHERMENT OF THE PHAISTOS DISC, "The Power of God Protects the King":

    On Feb 21, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Francisco J. González <guajataca01@...> wrote:

    Yeast biologist Javier Carvajal Barriga in Ecuador collected scrapings
    from ancient clay fermentation vessels dated to 680 CE used by Andean
    peoples to ferment an alcoholic beverage called Chicha, and coaxed
    dormant yeast cells that look to ve recently aritten.  back to life using a special scientific method. H
    found that the yeast was unlike any modern strains of yeast and
    confirmed Spanish reports that the Incas fermented their Chicha with
    human saliva, feces and animal bones. They may have added psychotropic
    plants to the brew which produces only 4% alcohol. Strangely enough,
    this yeast also turned up in a study in Taiwan in fermented tea. Was
    this due to contact between Polynesians and South Americans thousands
    of years ago? Carvajal found yet another ancient yeast that has been
    collected in Australia, Costa Rica and the Galapagos and the genetic
    analysis is identical among the three. This yeast is associated with
    Tflowers of the sweet potato.

    Scientific American has the story here;
    http://wwwe.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=new-species-resurrected-ancient-andean-tomb&print=tr
    A tiny URL;
    http://goo.gl/Tl

    =
  • Larry Hancock
    Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2012
      Page 30 from Warren Dexter's book America's Ancient Stone Relics

      Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2012
      Elizabeth Copper Mine in Strafford, VT, not to far from the Connecticut River.

      Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2012
        Francisco ad All,
        I forgot to send the link for the old Chicha-brewing/chewing technique:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcf8WUB33hg&feature=youtube_gdata_player