Re: 13,000 years ago

    Message 1 of 2 , May 21 8:48 PM
      Stan, Oz. and All,

      Fantastic article, Stan. Great things coming in from groups of
      geologists and geophysicists the past few years and I hope to hear
      more as evidence and joint research continues. 12,500-13,000 years
      ago (and earlier) are time periods I am most interested.

      Several months ago I had sent an article to this group and to the
      Great Pyramid of Giza Research Association on the 'Grand Canyon of
      the Nile' beneath Cairo, and the 5th, or present-day course of the
      Nile River appears to have begun around 12, 5000 years ago. This
      would fit nicely into the theory of the comet and resulting
      cataclysmic climactic/earth/waterway changes:

      "....The Modern Nile began flowing 12,500 years ago (Holocene). The
      article summarizes: "A vast deep canyon, which five million years ago
      looked like the Grand Canyon of Arizona, lies buried under Cairo, and
      extends southward for 600 miles to Aswan, Egypt, where its further
      path is lost."

      Source: "Vast 'Grand Canyon' Lurks 8,200 Feet BENEATH Cairo, Egypt":

      http://www.semp.us/publications/biot_reader.php?BiotID=403

      Thanks for the updates on the radio programs, Oz. I work late
      Thursday nights, have missed the last three arctived programs because
      of computer problems. Double-shifting a lot lately, my PC seems to
      have a 'bug', and very difficult to get on-line as before.

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "minnesotastan"
      <minnesotastan@...> wrote:

      > Diamonds tell tale of comet that killed off the cavemen
      >

      > Fireballs set half the planet ablaze, wiping out the mammoth and
      > America's Stone Age hunters
      >
      > Robin McKie, science editor
      > Sunday May 20, 2007
      > The Observer
      >
      > Scientists will outline dramatic evidence this week that suggests a
      > comet exploded over the Earth nearly 13,000 years ago, creating a
      hail
      > of fireballs that set fire to most of the northern hemisphere.
      >
      > Primitive Stone Age cultures were destroyed and populations of
      > mammoths and other large land animals, such as the mastodon, were
      > wiped out. The blast also caused a major bout of climatic cooling
      that
      > lasted 1,000 years and seriously disrupted the development of the
      > early human civilisations that were emerging in Europe and Asia.
      >
      > Article continues
      > 'This comet set off a shock wave that changed Earth profoundly,'
      said
      > Arizona geophysicist Allen West. 'It was about 2km-3km in diameter
      and
      > broke up just before impact, setting off a series of explosions,
      each
      > the equivalent of an atomic bomb blast. The result would have been
      > hell on Earth. Most of the northern hemisphere would have been left
      on
      > fire.'
      >
      > The theory is to be outlined at the American Geophysical Union
      meeting
      > in Acapulco, Mexico. A group of US scientists that include West will
      > report that they have found a layer of microscopic diamonds at 26
      > different sites in Europe, Canada and America. These are the remains
      > of a giant carbon-rich comet that crashed in pieces on our planet
      > 12,900 years ago, they say. The huge pressures and heat triggered by
      > the fragments crashing to Earth turned the comet's carbon into
      diamond
      > dust. 'The shock waves and the heat would have been tremendous,'
      said
      > West. 'It would have set fire to animals' fur and to the clothing
      worn
      > by men and women. The searing heat would have also set fire to the
      > grasslands of the northern hemisphere. Great grazing animals like
      the
      > mammoth that had survived the original blast would later have died
      in
      > their thousands from starvation. Only animals, including humans,
      that
      > had a wide range of food would have survived the aftermath.'
      >
      > The scientists point out that archaeological evidence shows that
      early
      > Stone Age cultures clearly suffered serious setbacks at this time.
      In