Local Economies

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2012
      Hello all,

      I remember reading a report in a newspaper saying a piece of the rain forest the size of the state of Rhode Island disappears every year in the Amazon.

      My wife and I just spent the weekend volunteering at a film festival called the O F F.

      A film was shown about a small country in between Nepal and Bhutan.  Bhutan is the country that measures Gross National Happiness, rather than product.  A road was built through the mountains that can carry big trucks through the high country. For the first time the local economy, affected by butter from elsewhere that could be sold for half the price of local butter, as well as vegetables, and grains, was devastated. All the products from the world that they can't afford fill the markets.  Bottled drinks, electronics, and other items that the young generation are attracted to, and less to any occupation that they would have gone into before the influx of the world market invading their country on its way from China to the coast of Bangladesh.

      The country found about poverty and unemployment for the first time in centuries.   The local economy disappears each year since this happened, along with an increase in pollution.    A synopsis can be found at    OneotaFilmFestival.org   and the title is the Economics of Happiness.  There are trailers of some of the films that were shown.

      The issue is global economy without local concerns and lifestyle addressed and the effects of losing the local economy. Ten men shoveling a field turning the soil over as a team, as opposed to a giant tractor doing the same job in the lowlands of another country, was a vivid scene and made the point!

      Ted

      On Jan 23, 2012, at 3:46 PM, Ted Sojka wrote:

      On Jan 23, 2012, at 12:17 PM, kbs2244 wrote:

      "(What makes me sick to my stomach is to see the clearcutting that is
      going on.)"

      Why?
      Just because it is showing that the "Virgin Rainforest" isn't so virgin after all?

      The geoglyphs are strong evidence of residential sites and show that that the area had a huge population that did a whole lot of environmental modification to feed themselves.

      The "deforestation" that is going on is just returning the area to what it was like before being over run by the weed like growth of the trees following some kind of population wipe out.