The Zeno Narrative

  • land_lubber
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2011
      The link below is to a fascenating 68 minute interview with Andrea Di Robilant who has written a new scholarly book on the Zeno Narrative. He has done amazing and meticulous research into all the background details and contexts. Ultimately, he finds it quite credible that their voyage made it as far west as the northern tip of Newfoundland, but then went north east to Greenland.

      He also covers the theory that was put forward by Frederick Pohl, that the Zeno Narrative describes a voyage that went south to Nova Scotia, and finds that the best reading of the Zeno Narrative does not support that theory.

      I strongly recommend both the interview and the book.

      http://bit.ly/uyVhVt
    • Larry Hancock
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2011
        I get  an advertisement I can't turn off and a few pictures and two paragraphs.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2011
          The advertisement is only a couple of minutes, then the interview is 68 minutes long. It's a "radio" interview, though, and it just cycles through about four still images on the "video" feed as fillers. The content is audio.

          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hancock <hancocklarry40@...> wrote:

          > I get  an advertisement I can't turn off and a few pictures and two paragraphs.

        • land_lubber
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2011
            This subject has been quite controversial for about 200 years. Here's what the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online has to say about the Zeno Bros. story:

            http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=592

            In 3 paragraphs, T. J. Oleson does a good job of summing up the view commonly held by the majority of modern historians concerning this matter. What makes Di Robilant's book quite interesting, though, is his original research that has shed new light on these questions, answering some questions that were previously left to assumptions or mistakes by reference to archival materials, etc. This book represents a genuine new contribution and serious scholarship, which changes a lot of the bases for reasoning about the subject that Oleson asserts.

            The Di Robilant bio may be of interest to anyone thinking about possibly buying his book:

            http://www.andreadirobilant.com/biography.html

            Sara Wheeler printed a somewhat edgy review of the Di Robilant book in the NYT:

            http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/books/review/book-review-irresistible-north-by-andrea-di-robilant.html?pagewanted=all