Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Excellent overview of the Ancient Maya writing system!

  • Larry Hancock
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2011
      Thank you.

      --- On Thu, 12/8/11, Francisco J. González <guajataca01@...> wrote:

      From: Francisco J. González <guajataca01@...>
      Subject: [ancient_waterways_society] Excellent overview of the Ancient Maya writing system!
      To: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, December 8, 2011, 11:10 AM

      FYI
      Excellent overview of the Ancient Maya writing system!

      Subject: [Aztlan] New at FAMSI - short course on Maya Hieroglyphic
      Listeros,

      New addition to the FAMSI website:

      Maya Hieroglyphic Writing - Workbook for a Short Course on Maya Hieroglyphic
      Writing by J. Kathryn Josserand and Nicholas A. Hopkins.

      After a couple of years working with Linda Schele in the first workshops on
      Maya hieroglyphic writing at the University of Texas at Austin in the 1970s,
      Kathryn Josserand and I took on the job of carrying the workshops to the
      masses and went on the road, leading weekend workshops at museums,
      universities, and private study groups from Los Angeles to New York City and
      St. Paul to Miami. The goal of these introductory workshops was to introduce
      beginners to the essentials of Mayawriting and encourage them to go on to
      the Texas workshops and "get their noses pierced," the metaphor we took from
      the Mixtec Codex Nuttall for initiation into the community of glyphers. From
      1987 to 2006, the year of Kathryn's untimely death in Palenque, we taught
      more than seventy workshops at some thirty different venues as far south as
      Chiapas and Guatemala. Early on we developed our own style of teaching
      hieroglyphic writing and a workbook for use in our workshops. This workbook
      went without major changes for twenty years; a page or so would be added
      periodically as new ideas were developed. This workbook constitutes a second edition of our basic introduction to Maya writing.

      Click the link to download the Maya Hieroglyphic Writing - workbook for a short course on Maya Hieroglyphic Writing,

      http://www.famsi.org/mayawriting/hopkins/MayaGlyphWritingWrkBk.pdf

      Enjoy,
      Sandy

      Sandy Mielke