Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Giant skeletons buried with average sized

  • Deb Twigg
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
      Thank you!

      Deb Twigg
      Executive Director
      SRAC
      607-727-3111

      On Dec 7, 2011, at 8:49 AM, "Rick O" <ozman@...> wrote:

      Hi Deb,

      Western Sun newspapet, Vincennes, Indiana. Date, ahh, not sure, but around 1818~1820. Will try to find the photocopy I have buried somewhere.

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, deb twigg <deb_twigg@...> wrote:

      > Thanks - Do you have a source?

    • Rick O
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
        This isn't the source I used, but it relates the same case. Not sure where Mary got this:

        "Mrs. Alice Taylor recorded an interesting story of Pike County as follows: "My mother, Clarissa Brenton Laws' grandfather was George Parker, who died at an early age in Pike County. He was buried in a cemetery on a knob about three miles below Petersburg Indiana. When they thought the grave was dug, one of the men sounded his pick down and it sounded hollow; so they dug some more and found a metal casket with a skeleton between eight
        and nine feet long, with red hair and teeth filled with gold.  This was an account of a burial of the great grandfather of Mrs. Taylor and she was born in 1856."

        http://www.burlingtonnews.net/giants2.html

        I may be able to explore the Pike County / Petersburg library to find the sources for this one. The original Western Sun archives are now in tatters and the State of Indiana / Vincennes University / Shake Memorial Library are trying to arrange long term conservation. In other words, it may be a while before I could get to them, if ever. However, I'll hunt up a point of contact for you at Shake and in Petersburg.