Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Giant skeletons buried with average sized

  • deb twigg
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
      Thanks - Do you have a source?

      --- On Tue, 12/6/11, Rick O <ozman@...> wrote:

      From: Rick O <ozman@...>
      Subject: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Giant skeletons buried with average sized
      To: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, December 6, 2011, 10:57 AM

      There was a case in Petersburg, Indiana in / around 1818 where when the townspeople went to bury their first loss, the first new grave in the new town struck a coffin. Two occupants. One eight foot redhaired giant and a normal raven haired wpman nestled between his legs. The coffin was lined inside and out with copper.

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deb_twigg@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know of any articles concerning ancient cemeteries with one large skeleton and several others buried around them? I am doing a research article and would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks in advance.

    • Rick O
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
        Hi Deb,

        Western Sun newspapet, Vincennes, Indiana. Date, ahh, not sure, but around 1818~1820. Will try to find the photocopy I have buried somewhere.

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, deb twigg <deb_twigg@...> wrote:

        > Thanks - Do you have a source?

      • Deb Twigg
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
          Thank you!

          Deb Twigg
          Executive Director
          SRAC
          607-727-3111

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
            This isn't the source I used, but it relates the same case. Not sure where Mary got this:

            "Mrs. Alice Taylor recorded an interesting story of Pike County as follows: "My mother, Clarissa Brenton Laws' grandfather was George Parker, who died at an early age in Pike County. He was buried in a cemetery on a knob about three miles below Petersburg Indiana. When they thought the grave was dug, one of the men sounded his pick down and it sounded hollow; so they dug some more and found a metal casket with a skeleton between eight
            and nine feet long, with red hair and teeth filled with gold.  This was an account of a burial of the great grandfather of Mrs. Taylor and she was born in 1856."

            http://www.burlingtonnews.net/giants2.html

            I may be able to explore the Pike County / Petersburg library to find the sources for this one. The original Western Sun archives are now in tatters and the State of Indiana / Vincennes University / Shake Memorial Library are trying to arrange long term conservation. In other words, it may be a while before I could get to them, if ever. However, I'll hunt up a point of contact for you at Shake and in Petersburg.