Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Giant skeletons buried with average sized

  • deb twigg
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2011
      Thanks! I did!

      From: joe white <joe_white@...>
      To: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com; deb_twigg@...
      Sent: Monday, December 5, 2011 8:57 PM
      Subject: Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Giant skeletons buried with average sized

      order the book from Wayne May.

      you will like it.

      sitting owl
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Deb Twigg
      Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 5:37 PM

      North America- but I am open to worldwide... FYI - this is not another "giant skeleton" paper it is a burial practice that i am researching that includes a giant skeleton. So if you know of any burial sites with a larger than average person with others buried with them - I'd love to see what is out there...thanks for any assistance that you can provide.

      Deb Twigg
      Executive Director
      SRAC
      607-727-3111

      On Dec 5, 2011, at 6:12 PM, TRAYLOROO <trayloroo@...> wrote:

      On the Internet, select    IMAGES,
      and search for     HUGE SKELETONS

       Is your research specific to one geographical area, or world-wide?

      Cal

       =========================

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
        There was a case in Petersburg, Indiana in / around 1818 where when the townspeople went to bury their first loss, the first new grave in the new town struck a coffin. Two occupants. One eight foot redhaired giant and a normal raven haired wpman nestled between his legs. The coffin was lined inside and out with copper.

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
          Thanks - Do you have a source?

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
            Hi Deb,

            Western Sun newspapet, Vincennes, Indiana. Date, ahh, not sure, but around 1818~1820. Will try to find the photocopy I have buried somewhere.

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, deb twigg <deb_twigg@...> wrote:

            > Thanks - Do you have a source?

          • Deb Twigg
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
              Thank you!

              Deb Twigg
              Executive Director
              SRAC
              607-727-3111

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
                This isn't the source I used, but it relates the same case. Not sure where Mary got this:

                "Mrs. Alice Taylor recorded an interesting story of Pike County as follows: "My mother, Clarissa Brenton Laws' grandfather was George Parker, who died at an early age in Pike County. He was buried in a cemetery on a knob about three miles below Petersburg Indiana. When they thought the grave was dug, one of the men sounded his pick down and it sounded hollow; so they dug some more and found a metal casket with a skeleton between eight
                and nine feet long, with red hair and teeth filled with gold.  This was an account of a burial of the great grandfather of Mrs. Taylor and she was born in 1856."

                http://www.burlingtonnews.net/giants2.html

                I may be able to explore the Pike County / Petersburg library to find the sources for this one. The original Western Sun archives are now in tatters and the State of Indiana / Vincennes University / Shake Memorial Library are trying to arrange long term conservation. In other words, it may be a while before I could get to them, if ever. However, I'll hunt up a point of contact for you at Shake and in Petersburg.