Giant skeletons buried with average sized

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2011
      Does anyone know of any articles concerning ancient cemeteries with one large skeleton and several others buried around them? I am doing a research article and would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks in advance.
    • TRAYLOROO
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 5, 2011
        On the Internet, select    IMAGES,
        and search for     HUGE SKELETONS

         Is your research specific to one geographical area, or world-wide?

        Cal

         =========================

        Does anyone know of any articles concerning ancient cemeteries with one large skeleton and several others buried around them? I am doing a research article and would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks in advance.

      • Deb Twigg
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2011
          North America- but I am open to worldwide... FYI - this is not another "giant skeleton" paper it is a burial practice that i am researching that includes a giant skeleton. So if you know of any burial sites with a larger than average person with others buried with them - I'd love to see what is out there...thanks for any assistance that you can provide.

          Deb Twigg
          Executive Director
          SRAC
          607-727-3111

          On Dec 5, 2011, at 6:12 PM, TRAYLOROO <trayloroo@...> wrote:

          On the Internet, select    IMAGES,
          and search for     HUGE SKELETONS

           Is your research specific to one geographical area, or world-wide?

          Cal

           =========================

          Does anyone know of any articles concerning ancient cemeteries with one large skeleton and several others buried around them? I am doing a research article and would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks in advance.

        • joe white
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2011

            order the book from Wayne May.

            you will like it.

            sitting owl

            Does anyone know of any articles concerning ancient cemeteries with one large skeleton and several others buried around them? I am doing a research article and would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks in advance.

          • deb twigg
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2011
              Thanks! I did!

              Does anyone know of any articles concerning ancient cemeteries with one large skeleton and several others buried around them? I am doing a research article and would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks in advance.

            • Rick O
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
                There was a case in Petersburg, Indiana in / around 1818 where when the townspeople went to bury their first loss, the first new grave in the new town struck a coffin. Two occupants. One eight foot redhaired giant and a normal raven haired wpman nestled between his legs. The coffin was lined inside and out with copper.

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 6, 2011
                  Thanks - Do you have a source?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
                    Hi Deb,

                    Western Sun newspapet, Vincennes, Indiana. Date, ahh, not sure, but around 1818~1820. Will try to find the photocopy I have buried somewhere.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
                      Thank you!

                      Deb Twigg
                      Executive Director
                      SRAC
                      607-727-3111

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 7, 2011
                        This isn't the source I used, but it relates the same case. Not sure where Mary got this:

                        "Mrs. Alice Taylor recorded an interesting story of Pike County as follows: "My mother, Clarissa Brenton Laws' grandfather was George Parker, who died at an early age in Pike County. He was buried in a cemetery on a knob about three miles below Petersburg Indiana. When they thought the grave was dug, one of the men sounded his pick down and it sounded hollow; so they dug some more and found a metal casket with a skeleton between eight
                        and nine feet long, with red hair and teeth filled with gold.  This was an account of a burial of the great grandfather of Mrs. Taylor and she was born in 1856."

                        http://www.burlingtonnews.net/giants2.html

                        I may be able to explore the Pike County / Petersburg library to find the sources for this one. The original Western Sun archives are now in tatters and the State of Indiana / Vincennes University / Shake Memorial Library are trying to arrange long term conservation. In other words, it may be a while before I could get to them, if ever. However, I'll hunt up a point of contact for you at Shake and in Petersburg.