Debunking the "Clovis First" hypothesis

  • minnesotastan@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2011

      This week a BBC report  details recent evidence that a point found in a mastodon bone has been reliably dated to 13,800 years before the present.

      This places it before the so-called Clovis hunters, who many academics had argued were the North American continent's original inhabitants...

      A succession of archaeological finds right across the United States and northern Mexico have indicated there was human activity much earlier than this - perhaps as early as 15-16,000 years ago. The mastodon rib, however, really leaves the once cherished model with nowhere to go...

      These investigations included new radio carbon tests using atomic accelerators. "The beauty of atomic accelerators is that you can date very small samples and also very chemically pure samples," Prof Waters told BBC News. "We extracted specific amino acids from the collagen in the bone and dated those, and yielded dates 13,800 years ago, plus or minus 20 years. That's very precise."

      DNA investigation also threw up a remarkable irony - the point itself was made from mastodon bone, proving that the people who fashioned it were systematically hunting or scavenging animal bones to make their tools...

      When Clovis-First was first proposed, it was a very elegant model but it's time to move on, and most of the archaeological community is doing just that."

      I was gobsmacked to read that it is now possible to date specific amino acids (!).  You learn something every day.

      (Posted originally at TYWKIWDBI , where some comments have discussed the amino acid dating method).

    • james m clark jr
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2011
        thanks stan,

        I read this original article just a few hrs. ago.
        there were 2 other older articles linked to it that I had considered
        as an AWS interest although the same link is a uncertainty.

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3517229.stm

        I actually became aware of perhaps 2 new feature for yahoo groups
        rich text format i assume no longer prompts with double line spacing as well as self automation for article excerpt links now which is better late than never = about a decade in waiting right!

        Either that or it's perhaps within the On Screen Keyboard feature I wasn't aware of online... now if this was voice activated texting it would be in whisper mode.

        be well,
        jamey