Re: World's largest serpent mound discovered?

  • minnesotastan@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2011
      Thanks for your insight, Ross. I'm glad I put a question mark in the
      title of my post!

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Ross Hamilton
      <d.ross.hamilton@...> wrote:

      I've examined it many times on site, and the long wall might not be
      prehistoric, but a raised area to keep people from inadvertently driving
      over the sheer cliff--possibly created back in the 1930s when Mariemont
      was built. It's interesting, but only Tankersley says it's a serpent,
      and like a maverick archaeologist used the Cincinnati Enquirer to foist
      his ideas. Well it got out to all the news services and you know the
      rest. Don't know of any other archaeologists who agree with him but
      know that many disagree and thought it should never have made a
      newspaper headline without going through proper peer review. It may
      just be a water management conduit as the long wall runs along the cliff
      edge. If it is a serpent, it's uncharacteristic for the Fort Ancient
      People, or any other group in the Ohio Valley. In fact it doesn't look
      like any kind of serpent--too strange a "head" area and too skinny and
      long a body. The real Serpent Mound is only 65 miles to the east and to
      compare the two is kind of whimsical.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2011
        Thanks for your input as you are one of the local experts on the Serpent Mound.   Good to have your feedback.   Did you mean 1830 in your reply on the possibility it was built during town construction?
        On Sep 3, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Ross Hamilton wrote:

[...]

        On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:22 PM, <minnesotastan@...> wrote:

        This serpent mound is 2,952 feet long, more than twice the length of the celebrated Great Serpent Mound in Adams County, which many believe to be the largest serpent effigy in the world.

        "This Mariemont serpent mound is much better preserved than the one in Adams County, which was largely reconstructed," Tankersley said. "The fact that this much of the Mariemont earthwork survives is miraculous."
        Further details at this Cincinnati website , and at the Columbus Dispatch .

      • Rick O
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2011
          I concur, Ross. Water management would be my foremost thought, only because the cliff negates any need for a defensive works there. The bluff is a great spot for fortifications, tho.

          Oz