Re: [ancient_waterways_society] World's largest serpent mound discovered?

  • Ross Hamilton
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2011
      I've examined it many times on site, and the long wall might not be prehistoric, but a raised area to keep people from inadvertently driving over the sheer cliff--possibly created back in the 1930s when Mariemont was built. It's interesting, but only Tankersley says it's a serpent, and like a maverick archaeologist used the Cincinnati Enquirer to foist his ideas. Well it got out to all the news services and you  know the rest.  Don't know of any other archaeologists who agree with him but know that many disagree and thought it should never have made a newspaper headline without going through proper peer review.  It may just be a water management conduit as the long wall runs along the cliff edge. If it is a serpent, it's uncharacteristic for the Fort Ancient People, or any other group in the Ohio Valley. In fact it doesn't look like any kind of serpent--too strange a "head" area and too skinny and long a body. The real Serpent Mound is only 65 miles to the east and to compare the two is kind of whimsical.

      On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:22 PM, <minnesotastan@...> wrote:

      This serpent mound is 2,952 feet long, more than twice the length of the celebrated Great Serpent Mound in Adams County, which many believe to be the largest serpent effigy in the world.

      "This Mariemont serpent mound is much better preserved than the one in Adams County, which was largely reconstructed," Tankersley said. "The fact that this much of the Mariemont earthwork survives is miraculous."
      Further details at this Cincinnati website , and at the Columbus Dispatch .

    • minnesotastan@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2011
        Thanks for your insight, Ross. I'm glad I put a question mark in the
        title of my post!

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Ross Hamilton

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2011
            I concur, Ross. Water management would be my foremost thought, only because the cliff negates any need for a defensive works there. The bluff is a great spot for fortifications, tho.

            Oz