Pondering the future of the Ancient Waterways Society

  • minnesotastan@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2011
      This November will mark the 7-year anniversary of the founding of the
      AWS. The project was Susan's brainchild; I served as the technical
      assistant, setting up this board, creating a graphic for the header, and
      becoming by default the "owner" of the site. If you look at the
      "message history" at the bottom of the homepage, you can see that for
      the first several years this was a quiet place, with just a couple
      messages a month. Then Susan kicked into high gear, contacting and
      inviting her friends and colleagues to join, and the growth has been
      substantial since then. We've had about a thousand messages in the past
      three years, most of them useful and interesting. And our membership is
      up to 87.

      But as the years pass, people's situations change. Such has been the
      case for both Susan and me. In my case there are an increasing number
      of family-based distractions related to an elderly mother; for Susan
      there have been health issues which have occupied much of her time and
      energy. We were pleased when Vince came on as an additional
      administrator, but as I look toward the future I anticipate that this
      group would benefit from one or two more people in administrative
      positions.

      There are just two types of admins. The first is the "owner" (me), who
      controls all the settings on the board and who has the ultimate power of
      deleting the group with the click of a button (I've never been tempted,
      btw...)

      The second administrative personnel are the "moderators" (presently me,
      Susan, and Vince). Moderators can delete individual posts and can
      delete (and ban) members. In practical terms, it amounts to being a
      spam-killer. I just checked the list of banned members and found 22
      names that have been put there during this 7-year period, in almost
      every case for posting sexually-based offers or trying to peddle
      pornography. The rest of the time the moderators just monitor the board
      and try to make sure that interchanges and discussions are maintained at
      a professional, courteous level. Personally, I'm ruthless if someone
      comes on here and verbally insults another member; I'll just zap the
      post into cyberspace. If they plead innocence, claiming a "right" to
      criticize and saying the other person really is a blankblank idiot, I
      just ignore them.

      That kind of thing happens quite infrequently, but monitoring the board
      on a regular basis is a necessary form of housekeeping. And I foresee
      myself being less often able to visit here. During the first years I
      came here daily, then a couple times a week, then every Saturday, and
      now I'm missing several weeks at a time. Thankfully Susan has watched
      over the group and has emailed me for backup a couple times.

      All of this is a roundabout way of saying that I would like one or two
      other people to step forward to become moderators on this board. I'd
      like to find persons who are easy-going and flexible in their own
      opinions and tolerant of different views, but strong enough to step in
      an delete people's posts if/when animosities arise or seem imminent. If
      you'd like to be a moderator, just write a short post saying so. I'll
      consult with Susan and Vince and we'll try to pick someone by the end of
      the year. There's no hurry.
    • james m clark jr
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2011
        Speaking of porn, you can find marine biology in the darnest places. Space porn has a few decent articles.

        http://io9.com/5831993/this-is-what-a-massive-plankton-bloom-looks-like-from-space

        Regardless of moderator choices to choose from amongst AWS members all members can help secure AWS Yahoo! by setting encrypted media options at twitter, facebroke etc., to https.

        be well,
        jamey

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2011
          Excellent letter, Stan...I am most appreciative of all you have done in
          setting up and keeping watch over this group, all the support you have
          provided, and fine articles, links you have sent.

          Having surgery in the morning, will be out of commission for awhile,
          maybe.

          Welcome to Teddy B from Princeton, Minn!

          Susan
          wrote:

> [...]
          > on a regular basis is a necessary form of housekeeping. And I foresee
          > myself being less often able to visit here. During the first years I
          > came here daily, then a couple times a week, then every Saturday, and
          > now I'm missing several weeks at a time. Thankfully Susan has watched
          > over the group and has emailed me for backup a couple times.
          >
          > All of this is a roundabout way of saying that I would like one or two
          > other people to step forward to become moderators on this board. I'd
          > like to find persons who are easy-going and flexible in their own
          > opinions and tolerant of different views, but strong enough to step in
          > an delete people's posts if/when animosities arise or seem imminent.
          If
          > you'd like to be a moderator, just write a short post saying so. I'll
          > consult with Susan and Vince and we'll try to pick someone by the end

        • Judi Rudebusch
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2011
            Susan, know that our thoughts are with you.

            Judi Rudebusch

            --- In mailto:ancient_waterways_society%40yahoogroups.com, minnesotastan@...
            wrote:

> [...]
            > myself being less often able to visit here.
            During the first years I
            > came here daily, then a couple times a week,
            then every Saturday, and
            > now I'm missing several weeks at a time.
            Thankfully Susan has watched
            > over the group and has emailed me for
            backup a couple times.

            > All of this is a roundabout way of saying
            that I would like one or two
            > other people to step forward to become
            moderators on this board. I'd
            > like to find persons who are easy-going
            and flexible in their own
            > opinions and tolerant of different views, but
            strong enough to step in
            > an delete people's posts if/when animosities
            arise or seem imminent.
            If
            > you'd like to be a moderator, just write a
            short post saying so. I'll
            > consult with Susan and Vince and we'll try to
            hurry.

          • TRAYLOROO
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2011

              RE TOMORROW --- Good luck for you .... and the doctor.  Remember the good times.  Spend a few minutes here ....    Amazing Grace in Cherokee + many other short video for after dark.  CAL

                ====================

              wrote:

> [...]
              > on a regular basis is a necessary form of housekeeping. And I foresee
              > myself being less often able to visit here. During the first years I
              > came here daily, then a couple times a week, then every Saturday, and
              > now I'm missing several weeks at a time. Thankfully Susan has watched
              > over the group and has emailed me for backup a couple times.
              >
              > All of this is a roundabout way of saying that I would like one or two
              > other people to step forward to become moderators on this board. I'd
              > like to find persons who are easy-going and flexible in their own
              > opinions and tolerant of different views, but strong enough to step in
              > an delete people's posts if/when animosities arise or seem imminent.
              If
              > you'd like to be a moderator, just write a short post saying so. I'll
              > consult with Susan and Vince and we'll try to pick someone by the end

            • james m clark jr
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7, 2011
                You may fully recover before I can get back online Susan. Power bill was twice as much as the last 2 months combined. StumbleUpon isn't that great as far as groups but for favorite search it takes some of the work out of serfing.

                As graceful and as helpful as you are you should recover in no time.

                be well,