Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: "The Brendan Voyage" is an interesting book

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2011
      This observation would re-iterate the caution not to be Eurocentric and think that things seen in N.America, that seem to follow a European model, came as copying the European sample... Rather that perhaps it was the circumpolar traveling Inuit-Eskimo culture that introduced the skin boat to the Irish, eh?
      -c

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2011
        It very well could be a difusion from either direction, but keep in mind
        the historical perspective - the book is a product of the times. In
        1937, Lethbridge was bordering on heresy by just suggesting that the two
        vessels were anything but independent inventions, let alone publishing
        his notes.

        On the risk of cherry-picking data, regardless of conclusions,
        Lethbridge does an outstanding job of pointing out similarities
        in.physical design. I'll have to re-read the book, but I don't recall
        Lethbridge being particularly focused on proving which came first.
        Similarly, Tim Severin's book proves currachs could sail from Ireland to
        Newfoundland - it doesn't preclude such a similar voyage previously in
        the opposite direction.

        The nice thing about Eurocentric research is that it's a double-edged
        sword. If it's a round trip voyage, we just need to determine which leg
        of the trip was the return voyage.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2011
          aha! good comment! Which leg do we choose to stand on...
          -c