Re: "The Brendan Voyage" is an interesting book

  • james m clark jr
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2011
      1937 Dave?

      Is this by any chance out of copyright and in public domain.

      Interesting. Very Interesting.

      I use to keep up with banned books usually banned at the begining of the dying season.

      Most of the books in my opinion that really needs a seporate folder within or perhaps a suggested AWS Poll eventually for an AWS public domain refference materials rather than listed in AWS's Journals and full Text folder in AWS Links with some review and notication calendar event such a bi-monthly AWS calendar event since most can't access archaeological or other journals or text of specific libraries.

      be well,
      jamey

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2011
        This observation would re-iterate the caution not to be Eurocentric and think that things seen in N.America, that seem to follow a European model, came as copying the European sample... Rather that perhaps it was the circumpolar traveling Inuit-Eskimo culture that introduced the skin boat to the Irish, eh?
        -c

        You may also want to track down a copy of T.C. Lethbridge's privately
        published booklet "Umiak" (1937), a brief study of the similarities
        between the umiak, a skin-covered boat used by Eskimos and the
        skin-covered currachs used in Britain.

        --

        Dave Goudsward
        Lake Worth, FL
        http://ancientstonesites.com

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            ancient_waterways_society-digest@yahoogroups.com
            ancient_waterways_society-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Dave Goudsward
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2011
          It very well could be a difusion from either direction, but keep in mind
          the historical perspective - the book is a product of the times. In
          1937, Lethbridge was bordering on heresy by just suggesting that the two
          vessels were anything but independent inventions, let alone publishing
          his notes.

          On the risk of cherry-picking data, regardless of conclusions,
          Lethbridge does an outstanding job of pointing out similarities
          in.physical design. I'll have to re-read the book, but I don't recall
          Lethbridge being particularly focused on proving which came first.
          Similarly, Tim Severin's book proves currachs could sail from Ireland to
          Newfoundland - it doesn't preclude such a similar voyage previously in
          the opposite direction.

          The nice thing about Eurocentric research is that it's a double-edged
          sword. If it's a round trip voyage, we just need to determine which leg
          of the trip was the return voyage.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2011
            aha! good comment! Which leg do we choose to stand on...
            -c