News

  • joe white
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2011
      O'siyo,

      Monday at 12:15 p. m. Noon, Central standard time,
      watch southern sky for
      Asteroid 2011, angle unknown at this time.

      This thing is very close, and could have smaller debris
      that could hit us, a good lite show maybe, even in the daytime.

      If I remember my physics correctly, energy, speed, and mass,
      E=mc2  it could rip a slash in our atmosphere.

      This could be very interesting.

      Looks like that we are relatively safe up here in northern atmosphere.

      Hope that we can see it.

      Shalom,   Gah gey you e,

      Sitting Owl
    • ozman@rtccom.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 25, 2011
        Joe,

        At closest approach, 7500 miles, this thing is still 7470 miles from our
        atmosphere and is still 7130 miles higher than the record altitude for a
        shuttle mission. There will be no light show.

        E=mc2 only applies to nuclear energy, not kinetic energy.

        Only thing it might do is perturb the orbit of GPS satellite number 7. Not
        to worry, any change in the satellite orbit will be recoded to the system
        in a matter of hours.

        Then, in about another 60 years, asteroid 2011MD will leave our solar system.

        If you're inclined to worry about asteroid strike:
        http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news017.html

        That one is a potential planet killer.

        Oz