Re: re Viking navigation

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
      Stan, and AWS group,

      Not long ago, someone mentioned alternative routes/map; re: the fine
      map logo MinnesotaStan put on the Home Page of the Ancient Waterways
      Society web site. At the upper right portion of the map, an addl. map
      was included. I've not been able to enlarge it in order to read its
      inscription, but am certain it includes Eastern migration to the
      Americas. Again, nice design of the web site.

      Stan, the theoretical material on skylight polarization was quite
      intriguing. At the summation of the article, I also found a little
      gem of a paragraph indicating to me profound insight and humility by
      the author(s). I believe the following, without taking the article's
      intent out of context, can also be aptly extended to include very
      ancient, global sea-faring peoples--well prior to what are termed
      Vikings from Europe. And beyond physics, to all or most academic
      fields:

      "For now, physics cannot rule one way or another until further
      research reveals more about the Vikings' culture and technology—
      anything else is speculation. But the political aspect of speculation
      is intriguing in itself: it's easy to romanticize the past, to
      project modern knowledge onto ancient peoples, without realizing that
      we may be making too many assumptions. On the other hand, we have
      often underestimated the abilities of past peoples, and been
      surprised at discovering that some of our modern inventions have been
      invented more than once". (from: "Viking Navigation Hypothesis Under
      Foggy and Cloudy Skies Requires More Light")
      _______________
      My personal interests span at least a few millinnea rather than early
      historic periods. But those interested more specifically on Viking
      research, check out The Ancient Vikings of America web site (host,
      Steve Hilgren). Interesting conversations going on at that site. Rick
      Osmon keeps up with multiple message lists, including AWS, has at the
      Vikings site a couple of letters today showing once again, Oz' well-
      studied comments and adeptness in open-ended, amicable dialogue. The
      conversation's focus began in regard to last Thursday's Oopa Loopa
      Cafe online radio interview with Dr. Myron Payne, author of "Frozen
      Trail to Merica-How the Vikings Walked from Greenland to America".

      Ancient Vikings of America site (host, Steve Hilgren; emphasis on
      Minnesota as Vinland):

      ______________________________
      MSE
      _-- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "minnesotastan"
      <minnesotastan@...> wrote:

      Studies underway on the use of polarized light -

      http://www.physorg.com/news91798327.html

      interesting -

      Stan
    • Rick Osmon
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
        Stan,

        Thanks for that praise. My simple goal is get everybody talking and
        sharing both facts and opinions in the most open minded manner
        possible. My less simple goal is to get the academic community
        involved to the same degree.

        As to the polarizing optics in question, the physics is real. My
        degree is in Laser and Electro-Optics Technology, I've worked with
        these crystals. There is no question in my mind that the calcite
        crystals (or a couple other crystaline materials) would work as
        described. A second polarizer in line with the first forms an
        instrument called a polarimeter. The definition or resolution of the
        image is much higher than using a single crystal (by a couple orders
        of magnitude). Did they actually use this? I don't know, but the
        records show that they used something they called a "sun stone". That
        all adds up good enough for me. Now we just need to find one.

        Oz

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007

          Kassly-Schaefer Tablet in the news!!!

          Finding fabulous fares is fun.
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
            Vince and All,

            I know Wayne May and others were interested in this tablet and other
            areas of research. Vince, I am including the Search links on Kassly-
            Schaefer for both Ancient Waterways and also posts you sent/responses
            at PreColumbian Inscriptions. With the addition of !!! after Kassly-
            Schaefer Tablets, Vince, the heading on this last post thus failed to
            pick up older and initial posts you'd sent. I removed the three
            exclamation points to pull the links up, but am also including Kassly-
            Schaefer Search results sent to PreColumbian Inscriptions,to include
            more background to the fine news article.

            When you post again on the subject, I suggest removing the three
            exclamation points so the following related posts will tag along.
            Nice ongoing cooperative work down there in SW Illinois & St. Louis,
            Vince.

            Search results at Ancient Waterways for Kassly-Schaefer Tablet:

            query=kassly-schaefer&charset=windows-1252

            Search results: correspondence sent to PreColumbian Inscriptions re:
            the Kassly-Schaefer Tablets, including Vince's list of tablets
            associated with the Cahokia Mounds:

            query=+Kassly-Schaefer+Tablet&charset=windows-1252
            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows