Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Fwd: gottchall rock shelter

  • joe white
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2011
      O'siyo Brothers, and Sisters,

      Please get the photos, and stories of these discoveries to Wayne May
      ASAP for future publications.

      Shalom,   Gah gey you e,

      Sitting Owl

      From: Ted Sojka <tedsojka@...>
      Date: May 29, 2011 9:32:18 PM CDT
      To: Vince Barrows <v_barrows@...>
      Subject: gottchall rock shelter

      This site not only yielded a stone head made of sandstone and in the possession of Beloit College or Robert Salzer.

      I heard a lecture in which he told of a quick lime figure on the floor of the cave that glowed in the dark when damp.  There was this bird man shaped image that was reproduced over and over for many years with the addition of new quick lime that had to carried in from a site he thought was 14 miles away. I believe he said the earth painting was repeated for 850 years with the lime on the floor of the rock shelter.  The shelter is closed to the public and is considered a sacred site by the Ho Chunk who now control the site on the Wisconsin River.

      The cave has the images of Red Horn and the Twin Giants.  It also features all the god creatures of the creation such as the turtle.  The legend of Red Horn was written down by the bureau of ethnology in the last century or the one previous to that.   It turns out the cave images in the mural prove it too be much older.  The wall was sanded smooth with rock abraders and the drips of paint from the mural.  fell on the fresh sandstone debris on the floor.  This allowed for a dating of the paintings first rendering. Soot over the painting from fires and torches also allowed for radio carbon dating.

      The stone head is unusual and in your photos of the head recovered and put in the Octonagon musuem seems to create a connection.  I believe you have a picture on your Marburg photo site of the head from Gottshall Shelter.

      I am only an artist not an archeologist, so my assumptions and leaps do not follow the usual method of connect the dots.

      ted sojka