Fwd: 3rd Annual Yuchi Gathering

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 541 KB
    Thanks everyone for the excellent intercommunications, information and interest in each others' work.  I seem to have serious medical issues pending but am following each of you via iPhone.  I am most appreciative of your mutual 'co-hosting' here, and continue to be proud to be among this diverse and increasingly remarkable society beyond the borders that 'bind' that bind the minds and hearts of so many....
    Thank you.  Susan
    Enclosed is an email from someone following our group that I shall invite to join. Please feel free to send "Invite" messages from AWS to interested friends

    Sent from my iPhone

    Begin forwarded message:

    From: Daniel Oryan <eomonorachus@...>
    Date: May 8, 2011 5:22:26 PM CDT
    To: info1@...
    Subject: 3rd Annual Yuchi Gathering

    News Release

    Event: 3rd Annual Yuchi Homecoming Gathering

      -- a living history celebration of our area’s earliest inhabitants.

    Location: Laurel Run Park, 264 Laurel Run Park, Churchill, Tennessee 37642.

                       Latitude 36.49418 & Longitude -82.67972       Phone: 423 357-8110

    Time: June 11-12th, 2011 (Saturday from 10AM to 5PM, & Sunday from 10AM to 4PM.)

    Note: Open to Public, No admission charge

    Contact: Chief Lee Vest at leevest022@...

    GPS: N 36° 29.769 W 082° 41.262 17S E 348843 N 4040305

    Long before the Cherokee, East Tennessee and the Great Valley was home to the moundbuilding cultures of the Yuchi and Koasati (Cussetta) Peoples. It is from the Yuchean Language that the name "Tennessee" comes. The Yuchi will be gathering for the Third Annual Homecoming Gathering at Laurel Run Park.

    Chief Lee Vest advises that The Yuchi Homecoming Gathering has moved this year to Laurel Run Park in Church Hill Tennessee, situated along the Holston River. It will be on the second weekend in June --

    June 11 & 12, 2011

    The new location at Laurel Run Park in Church Hill, Tennessee better reflects our Tennessee Tribal Roots at this time. Our ancestors had a town (village site) in this area, just as they did at Saltville. We have many artifacts from this site that were given to us by Holliston Mills. This site was the setting for the movie "The River", starring Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek. There are two nice waterfalls close by, and plenty of game animals...bear, deer, turkey, etc.

    See http://www.tnvacation.com/vendors/laurel_run_park/ for more info and pictures and map/directions.

    The tribe will set up a hunting & gathering camp circa 1750’s with sleeping shelter and arbors. We will be open to the public at 10 am to 5 pm Saturday and 10am to 4pm Sunday.

    The Yuchi Nation will showcase these events daily: Traditional campfire cooking of traditional foods traditional cooking/kitchen items, gardening medicine and cooking plants, hide curing, salt making, children’s games, Story telling, Yuchi drumming & dancing, flute music, hunting and war weapon display, blow gun demo, genealogy, networking and more will be shared.

    There will also be a Trade Blanket. Bring items to trade. This is an old tradition, Indians trading with Indians. Eventually Indians trading with pioneers. Bring furs, arrowheads, jewelry, plug tobacco, jerky, money, etc.

    And once again Woktela of the Yuchi National Archive will be recording Yuchi family oral traditions.

  • Martin Carriere
    Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2011
      I was wondering where you were today and thought to send you greetings and wishes on this nurturing and maternal day for which you have played a great part in bringing like minded family together so Happy Day Susan.
      In love and friendship,
      Martin

      Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2011
        Tried to reply this morning a little after 9 and couldn't. Not sure if was Yahoo! or due to a local transformer cathching fire a few days ago. Haven't checked Yahoo! or Juno, but gmail allows free phone calls via internet for the US & Canada for 2011.

        Pigeon Forge:

        Have a mutual friend through a former bussiness partnership and still good friends with him, who owns a few cabins there. This may still be the Honey Moon captial of the South. My brother may start working with him again soon and maybe able to arrange an additional discount for AWS members. Haven't heard from him in a few day and that maybe where he is now.

        At any rate... Yuchi use blowguns? My eyes aren't as good as they use to be, but when they were I could hit a bird in the eye at about 40 feet. I don't shoot anything I don't eat, besides I praticed on the the hard rubber flower bed & garden kind. Little kid got hit by a car that lived down the street and messed up his leg pretty bad but he could walk but not as good so I gave him my short gun a few years ago, with his moms permission of course. It lasted for at least a week.

        I've never even seen a Yuchi blowgun an having trouble finding an image of one. Haven't checked youtube yet. I was thinking of buying a dirge just for the breathing exercise for now. Sounds real good with a Sax, a banjo, bag pipe, flute, piano, violin and a box string & 12 string slide various blues or jazz or islander tunes.

        If you never been in humid conditions or assume smokers are the ones with shortness of breath you haven't been in the South. Sweat is our sun tan lotion but it's not that bad in the mountians either about like Columbus Ohio but hot. If I can get a relatve to go with me that lives in ATL you may be in for a treat. This Georgia boy won the Nashville Tennessee Chilli cookoff 2 years in a row. I'll give him that one. I love real meat- quail is one of them. Want to try smoking some black beans with some crabapple wood. This stuff is hard to come by but it makes a mean Chicago pepper steak, and grilled baby carrots and smoked red beans & rice.

        If not this year next.

        be well,
        jamey

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Susan English <beldingenglish@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > The tribe will set up a hunting & gathering camp circa 1750’s with sleeping shelter and arbors. We will be open to the public at 10 am to 5 pm Saturday and 10am to 4pm Sunday.
        > >
        > > The Yuchi Nation will showcase these events daily: Traditional campfire cooking of traditional foods traditional cooking/kitchen items, gardening medicine and cooking plants, hide curing, salt making, children’s games, Story telling, Yuchi drumming & dancing, flute music, hunting and war weapon display, blow gun demo, genealogy, networking and more will be shared.
        > >
        > > There will also be a Trade Blanket. Bring items to trade. This is an old tradition, Indians trading with Indians. Eventually Indians trading with pioneers. Bring furs, arrowheads, jewelry, plug tobacco, jerky, money, etc.
        > >
        > > And once again Woktela of the Yuchi National Archive will be recording Yuchi family oral traditions.

      • Larry Hancock
        Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2011
          I assume everyone is familiar with Joseph Mahan's books on the Yucchi, but if not here is a note stating the crux of his work.

          Joseph B. Mahan, The Secret, Columbus, GA: published by the author, 1983.

                      According to Samuel W. Brown, Jr., hereditary chief of the Yuchi, their homeland was an island to the east, specifically Andros Island which was the remnant of a “legendary island destroyed ages ago in an enormous natural catastrophe.” (p. 5)

                      A secret society existed among the Indians of eastern North America known as the “Order of the Four Roads.”…Brown had been trained in the ancient order and “He believed it to be related in an integral manner to religions all over the world.” (p. 6)

                      After years of study Mahan became “convinced that the Yuchis were a fountainhead of ancient cultural traditions among the American peoples.” (p. 8)

                      Yuchi symbolism of the dogwood flower: “It is an emblem of Coshafa and represents the sacred fire of the Yuchis which is kindled in the center of an equilateral cross on a white circle.” (p. 16)

          “Brown explained that his people were once a great tribe who had occupied the entire region from the Great Lakes to Florida….they had also controlled the eastern seaboard as far as New England….they had been known by many names, but that in reality they were one people. He said that there were originally twelve tribes, or he thought more properly, they might be called gens or peoples.” (p.17)

          Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2011
            i believe that is also the symbol of the KKK.  chb

            Message 6 of 7 , May 12, 2011
              Interesting you should mention that Charlie.

              The late Archaeologist E. Ramon Capt was said to be in the Clan
              at the time durring the colapse of the british Israelite sect of the wcg when they were once basically somewhat united puppet masters.
              BI Keyser and many others considered among the elete left years before. Some of them many still be masons as most of the splinters are as far as those at the top of those splinter sects. Can't say that I've ever met a Native American or other ethnicity at the top of BI wagon either although ironically there are scattered in the iles and regions where more readily hearld.

              At any rate, "They Live" with Roddie Pipper has been added to Netflix.

              be well,
              jamey

              --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, charles bruns <charbruns@...> wrote:

              > i believe that is also the symbol of the KKK.  chb

            • joe white
              Message 7 of 7 , May 12, 2011
                O'siyo Brothers,

                My memory is not good, but I think I remember his name
                spelled Raymond E. Capt.  I have studied all of his publications,
                and he is correct, but we have greatly improved some of
                his facts.

                Shalom,   Gah gey you e,

                Sitting Owl