Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Conference on Ancient America

  • Marmot
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2005
      Thanks for the welcome Susan.

      Thoughts about how ancient people may have wandered to various parts of the globe via the water intrigues me. Humans are a curious and resourceful species, I just can't imagine ancient people who were fully at home and adapted to the natural world didn't explore their world with every means available to them. I remember seeing a show on PBS where they found the skeletal remains of a person in a cave on an island in what is now the Alaskan panhandle, the human and animal remains present in the cave dated from the time of the ice age when that location was an island of life among the glaciers. It seemed there were many such ice free zones that people could travel to as they migrated along the sea edge in their small boats.

      We know there was the Maritime Archaic culture on the east coast of North America that was fully marine adapted 6 to 7 thousand years ago. Of particular interest to me is this theory that some of the original inhabitants of North America might have come from Europe during the ice age.   http://www.centerfirstamericans.com/mt.html?a=52

      Small boats are capable of much more than many of us can imagine, having spent some time in a sea kayak I've become aware of this, and I'm a very timid paddler.

      Marti

      Susan wrote:
      Welcome to Marti, the newest member of Ancient Waterways Society web
      site! The group is very open to ideas and suggestions for this
      particular web link.