Ancient Egypt

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 18 2:14 PM
      Hi Rick (and All),

      I recall you also are a member of the Great Pyramid of Giza Research Association as are a number of folks here, including Steve Garcia who I believe decades ago stayed or camped somewhere around the Giza Plateau for months and probably knows that region well.  I've not heard much about that group for awhile since their Open Forum discussion group ended.

      I'd not yet heard Zahi Hawass had been reinstated but this mid-March article from the Egyptian news along with the current land dispute conviction makes me wonder if he won't be distracted from the work he loves for some time: http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/351660

      "Monti's World" (Dr. Monty Dobson) lists the Egyptian archaeoloist's personal blog and his own explanation plus a number of interesting links for those unfamiliar with Dr. Hawass: http://www.drhawass.com/blog/explanation-court-trial-against-me

      I am glad to have at hand now the English translation of the Egyptian Daily ALMASRYALYOUM.  Not surprising how little of that country's or other Middle Eastern news gets first-hand into US newspapers. One of the Hawass article from yesterday is on the Arts Page of the New York Times!  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/18/arts/design/antiquities-official-sentenced-in-egypt.html

       I changed the heading to Ancient Egypt; our group has not done much in-depth on this significant focal point of ancient world history and archaeology.  It will be interesting to see if or when major changes take place within the Egyptian dDept of Antiquities.

      I wonder if international Internet blogs and public groups such as ours are closer to making interconnections again with global peoples than may be possible via govenments and newspapers.  Perhaps our exchanges are, or will eventually be reminiscent of probably once-amicable global trade, diffusion, stewardship that linked intercontinental navigators and coastal/riverway dwelling peoples for thousands of years. Before what we understand and live as "history".

      Susan, Diffusioinists Without Borders

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Rick O" <ozman@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >

      > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"
      > beldingenglish@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Another Search attempt on "ancient Vermont" this morning produced very
      > > little recent information that pertained to anything of real antiquity
      > > other than 'ancient' logging roads. Larry Hancock's photo essay when
      > > finished and picked up by those on the East Coast and scientific and
      > > avocational diffusionist communitiers may be very welcome toward
      > > furthering research.
      > > I did find a blog message (from 1996!), "Ancient Vermont Lives On" by
      > > Andrew J. Petto, editor at that time of the National Center for
      > Science
      > > Education, c/o Univ. of Wisconsin Dept. of Anthropology. The post
      > > mentions the0 "Barry Fell/Ancient America" thread of a few weeks
      > before
      > > and 'controvertial theory", but also lists a book America's Ancient
      > > Stone Relics: Highlighing Vermont's Link to Bronze Age Mariners by
      > > Warren W. Dexter and Donna Martin (Academy Books, Rutland, VT, 1995).
      > > Refers to a 1977 conference on "Ancient Vermont" chaired by Warren
      > Cook.
      > > I was unable to access other posts to this interesting this thread,
      > but
      > > then, too, the intercommunications were fifteen years ago:
      > > http://unauthorised.org/anthropology/anthro-l/april-1996/0195.html
      > > <http://unauthorised.org/anthropology/anthro-l/april-1996/0195.html>
      > >
      > > Someone already requested the extra copy I had of Anc. Ameridcan. I
      > > am supposed to be studying for a Master Gardener certification final
      > > today but got taken up by the internet. A "Monty's World" blog has an
      > > article from yesterday (Saturday, April 15, 2011) titled "Cahokia:
      > > Native American City of Mystery" about another film being produced at
      > > the ancient site, includes a three minute video:
      > > http://www.montysworldonline.com/ <http://www.montysworldonline.com/>
      > >
      > > I found the Monty's World blog site after a post on Christopher Dunn's
      > > FB page about Dr. Zahi Hawass, Egyptian Minister of Antiquities being
      > > removed from office after an arrest. It true, would be astounding.
      > > There are a number of you within our group who are members of the
      > Great
      > > Pyramid of Giza Research Association who know how much impact Zahi has
      > > had upon that significant region's archaeological explorations,
      > public
      > > information released/withheld, etc. :
      > >
      > http://www.montysworldonline.com/2011/04/breaking-hawass-convicted-in-co\
      > \
      > > urt-and.html
      > >
      > <http://www.montysworldonline.com/2011/04/breaking-hawass-convicted-in-c\
      > \
      > > ourt-and.html>
      > >
      > > It has been a few years since I have listed the link to the 5000+
      > member
      > > Great Pyramid of Giza Research Assoc, includes a number of fine
      > > articles, links to interviews, programs...:

    • wayne trickle
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 19 5:41 AM
        Does anyone know how to get a copy of Warren Dexter and Donna Martin's book? The one on Ancient Vermont's stone relics?
        Crystal Trickle

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 20 1:14 AM
          Hi Crystal,
          Ever  since I found that older article by Andrew Petto,  "Ancient Vermont Lives On" where he mentioned the Warren Dexter-Donna Martin book,  America's Ancient Stone Relics: Vermont's Link to Bronze Age Mariners ,  I too have been searching for a reasonably-priced used copy.   So far haven't found any under $75  but do have a book searcher in my city who has found items for me well under market value. He has a For Sale sign on his used bookstore but I will let you know  if he comes up with anything.  I shall list the search results  I found at the end of my post; one has  two or three inexpensive books by Warren Dexter some of our members might be interested in.  Results for W. Dexter-Donna Martin book

          I have to mention that during my book Search I ran across an article you, Crystal, at least three of the Larrys, two of the Davids  on the East Coast  and many others out there might be interested in,  "The Mysterious Megaliths of New England"

          Anyone familiar with thie author?  On the same list was an article by a James Donahoe about Paul T. Angel called "Keltic Origins" about New England megaliths and also 'Punic and Keltic' travelers to Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula for copper as early as five to eight centuries BC.  http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/id1074.html

          Crystal, you posted a web site of J. Huston McCulloch which I was able to view briefly at the library but today on my laptop I've not been able to raise it or any of McCulloch's Ohio State web sites.  Coincidently, though,  the site you sent had a link beneath the Bat Creek Stone of the Caixtlahuaca Head and some members here who attended or helped with the 2008 Atlantic Conference-Halifax will remember that archeologist, Dr. Romeo Hristov (Univ.of New Mexico) associated with the controvertial artifact spoke about it in his talk.  Romeo is also a member of Ancient Waterways Society, though has not posted here.  I don't know if he reads posts or recalls signing up.  But I had had lunch and very fine converstaion with him and another Atlantic Conference attendee in Halifax, Nova Scotia the day before the conference started.  He joined AWS a few weeks after the conference when I sent an "Invite" link.  But anyway, I see Hristov and J. Huston McCulloch have both been involved with this anamolous stone head..  I cannot pull up  the Ohio State link for McCullouch but this is from Romeo's web site: http://www.unm.edu/~rhristov/calixtlahuaca.html .  He has drawn criticism and jesting--mostly it seems from the professional community---perhaps because of his openness to diffusionism.  The archaeologist boldly stands his ground, presents his work very credibly.  I'd also like to see what McCulloch's article says on the same subject.  (Someone kindly scan, paste, and send me the J. H. McCulloch article I've not been able to pull up since yesterday. Maybe you can access the articles from Wikepedia:

          But if any of you investigate Hristov's many links within his web site and happen to join his Facebook page or emial him about some of his work, I hope you invite him to Post to our group some of his recent findings, that he and his work would be as welcome here as he was at the Halifax Atlantic Conference.   Would sure be terrific if J. Huston McCulloch signed on, too.  He is already acquainted with Ohioans Ross and William.  I'd bet others, too.

          Thank you for the interesting posts here at the group and intercommunications with each other.

          Susan

          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, wayne trickle <wtrickle@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know how to get a copy of Warren Dexter and Donna Martin's book? The one on Ancient Vermont's stone relics?
          > Crystal Trickle

        • Larry Hancock
          Message 4 of 18 , May 5, 2011
            I have  a photographic essay on Vermont's Sacred Landscape I am willing to send to anyone who wants it. It is about 250 pages, divided into six sections and in a PDF format. I can forward it via email. If anyone would like a copy send an email address and I will forward a copy.
          • Martin Carriere
            Message 5 of 18 , May 5, 2011
              Very much appreciated Larry,
              Best,
              Martin Carriere
              metismartin@...

              Message 6 of 18 , May 5, 2011
              I would love it if you sent the file on the Sacred Lands of Vermont.   I always thought the sides of the lake would have such a place in that scenic area.

              Here is part of the sacred landscape called the "Driftless Region", that was missed my the Glaciers. It was inhabited soon after the ice started retreating around Northeast Iowa and Southwest Wisconsin.  Many mammoths and mega bison were here.  One of the cultures called the effigy mound builders built these figures to tell their creation story in some peoples opinion.   The bears in the photo are 60 feet long or more and the wing tip to tip of some of the birds measure over a hundred feet.  They have a good website if you google the Effigy Mounds National Monument
            • wayne trickle
              Message 7 of 18 , May 5, 2011

                I would enjoy a copy !
                Crystal

                I have  a photographic essay on Vermont's Sacred Landscape I am willing to send to anyone who wants it. It is about 250 pages, divided into six sections and in a PDF format. I can forward it via email. If anyone would like a copy send an email address and I will forward a copy.
              • james m clark jr
                Message 8 of 18 , May 5, 2011
                  That's very kind of you Larry

                  However both of my hard drives are currently as most of the time are at a max.

                  Could you add it to Ancient Waterways "Files" option at the site as well?

                  be well,
                  jamey

                  Message 9 of 18 , May 5, 2011
                    You can just store in your email inbox or forward from your mail.

                    Message 10 of 18 , May 5, 2011
                      I don't understand what you are asking. I am not yet familiar with the setup of your files. I will send to the address listed below or anyone who has received it can forward to whomever they want.

                      Message 11 of 18 , May 5, 2011
                        I tried that a few years ago with Mr. Anderson's book Legend of the White Wolf before it was published. I had to use an alternate addy that would support larger attachments. Free Juno webmail wont work for pdf attacments. Not sure about Yahoo! you could give it a try "jameyboyusa". Gmail would support it although I've forgotten the password to my account there since I haven't needed to use it that much.

                        Wish me luck,

                        Message 12 of 18 , May 5, 2011
                          It's not my files ...it's all of Ancient Waterways files at the site you are a member of.

                          A free vertual drive space to download or view without donloading.

                          Add file
                          http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ancient_waterways_society/sfupld?path=/

                          There is even a notifcation check box to announce to the group as a whole to save us time from doing so ourselves in an email to the group provided by Yahoo!... Send a message to the group announcing this file

                          It's not as time consuming if anything.

                          Message 13 of 18 , May 6, 2011
                            It would appear to be too large to place in your files. Again, if anyone wants it just send me an email address and I will forward it.

                            It's not my files ...it's all of Ancient Waterways files at the site you are a member of.

                            A free vertual drive space to download or view without donloading.

                            Add file
                            http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ancient_waterways_society/sfupld?path=/

                            There is even a notifcation check box to announce to the group as a whole to save us time from doing so ourselves in an email to the group provided by Yahoo!... Send a message to the group announcing this file

                            It's not as time consuming if anything.

                            jamey

                            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hancock <hancocklarry40@...> wrote:

                            > I don't understand what you are asking. I am not yet familiar with the setup of your files. I will send to the address listed below or anyone who has received it can forward to whomever they want.

                          • charles bruns
                            Message 14 of 18 , May 6, 2011
                              dear Larry.   I have an interest in the essay you describe.  could you send it to charbruns@...?  Thank you.  chb

                              Message 15 of 18 , May 6, 2011
                                That will have to do.

                                Currently I don't have a place to put the full text to link of TI-PING TIEN-KWOH; THE HISTORY OF THE TI-PING REVOLUTION or the second volume (254 pages) of of an Adobe pdf that I haven't made notes in that I could download later but first wanted to make a quick review of the chapters regarding discriptive river systems that may be worthy of note.

                                After this I may can squeeze in the program needed to view & download thanks to your attacment sent to AWS!! And perhaps squezze in a few volumes and send to the AWS group and perhaps convert to a Adobe pdf later that way most others wont have to do this and either version would be at AWS if someone hasn't thought about doing this already to help out. I noticed one attachment someone sent of yours and I'm a novice when it comes to photoshop so the question that comes to mind is do you have photo's in the pdf's that are encrypted with this pdf verson you used? If so this could be more of a problem.

                                Just a thought,

                                Message 16 of 18 , May 7, 2011
                                  Gmail account is reactivated Larry

                                  Please do send to jamesmclarkjr

                                  I can view it but I can't save as download as a whole just yet.

                                  Your input regarding the Rock Eagle mystery is highly noted although my opinion may not amount to a hill of beans but I'd have to agree with you to a degree regarding this matter I don't think it is a eagle or vulture besides it had been tamered with... the white stones seems to indicate falcon nautical hunters and their migration routes.

                                  My, I say my but it's not mine... the basalt artifact I sometime bring up on occasion at AWS since my arival in 2005 ... could very well be a vulture and if it was mined near Ocmulgee it more than likely wasn't in East Macon near the circular mounds but in West Macon on the westside along the Tobesofkee Creek where basalt is plentful along the west bank in the midlower bends... Georgia has no natual lakes. I need to go to the University of Georgia site and note the archological sites again in which there have been a few along Tobo Creek at the mouth and futhur down... the bad news is the hills were parcially dougout long ago in the midlower bends to install some kind of main in the past century futher down actually closer to where I live use to be an open upper & lower shallow dranage system that still partial there. I don't think it was used for a cesspool for waste but used durring the constrution for the lake or 475 bypass to I75 prior to the mid 60's and uraban develoment that streched some distance from 80 to the lower part of the creek.

                                  be well
                                  jamey