April 25, 2011 deadline session prior to 17th Annual CEAA -- Stockholm

  • james m clark jr
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2011

      Appoligies to nonintersted parties...

      event noted at:

      Archaeology Theory and Method discussion group

      jmcjr

      Apologies for crossposting -- please distribute to all interested parties --

      Deadline approaches: April 25

      Picture this! The materiality of the perceptible
      Session for the 17th Annual Conference of the European Association of
      Archaeologists in Oslo, September 14-18, 2011 <http://www.eaa2011.no/>

      Session organizers: Ing-Marie Back-Danielsson & Fredrik Fahlander,
      Stockholm University

      Abstract
      Pictorial and visual elements are special types of archaeological data that
      transgress boundaries; between us and the past, between the material and
      immaterial, between data and methodology. Imagery `communicates' with the observer in elaborate, unforeseen but also more direct ways than most other remains do. It does not need to be an especially complex composition – sometimes a few lines on a Mesolithic axe handle capture our imagination more than the highly crafted axe itself. Why is that so? What special powers are embedded in the pictorial that seems to hold so much promise and mystery? Traditionally, images have primarily been discussed in terms of what they represent, mean or symbolize. The aim of this session is, however, to discuss the different ways in which images affect and engage the beholder, how they actively are entangled in social structuration.

      We welcome papers on the antiquarian use of imagery and visual documentation as well as discussions on the roles of imagery in the past and in the present.

      Please contact:
      Fredrik Fahlander
      <fredrik.fahlander@...>

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2011

        No problem  with putting the Archaeology Theory & Method Discussion Group (European Association of Archaeologist) invitation into our site, Jamey, esp. w/Dr. Fahlander's permission: ..."Apologies for crossposting -- please distribute to all interested parties --".  More on him: http://su-se.academia.edu/FredrikFahlander/Papers and  http://www.linkedin.com/pub/fredrik-fahlander/10/48A/7B4  He also co-edited a book which has a chapter with photos and symbols on Gottland that Scott Wolter and others might find of interest to their work.

        Jamey, I'm curious if the invitation is open to anyone or if a PhD or archaeology degree to submit papers?  Thanks for sharing this.

        And, Rick, Jamey, Blue Otter Will, and Martin....please pick up on the link to the discussion and subject again sometime,    The Prince of Wales in 1170-1190 Madoc/Madog  Even with English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh ancestry, I know little on the subject.  Each of you obviously has considerable knowledge and variations of valid experience on this;  thanks for each of your contributions, candor, and diplomacy.   Susan

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "james m clark jr" <jameyboy@...> wrote:

        > Appoligies to nonintersted parties...
        >
        > event noted at:
        >
        > Archaeology Theory and Method discussion group
        >
        > jmcjr
        >

        > Apologies for crossposting -- please distribute to all interested
        > parties --
        >
        > Deadline approaches: April 25
        >
        > Picture this! The materiality of the perceptible
        > Session for the 17th Annual Conference of the European Association of
        > Archaeologists in Oslo, September 14-18, 2011 <http://www.eaa2011.no/
        > <http://www.eaa2011.no/> >
        >
        > Session organizers: Ing-Marie Back-Danielsson & Fredrik Fahlander,
        > Stockholm University
        >
        > Abstract
        > Pictorial and visual elements are special types of archaeological data
        > that
        > transgress boundaries; between us and the past, between the material and
        > immaterial, between data and methodology. Imagery `communicates' with
        > the observer in elaborate, unforeseen but also more direct ways than
        > most other remains do. It does not need to be an especially complex
        > composition – sometimes a few lines on a Mesolithic axe handle
        > capture our imagination more than the highly crafted axe itself. Why is
        > that so? What special powers are embedded in the pictorial that seems to
        > hold so much promise and mystery? Traditionally, images have primarily
        > been discussed in terms of what they represent, mean or symbolize. The
        > aim of this session is, however, to discuss the different ways in which
        > images affect and engage the beholder, how they actively are entangled
        > in social structuration.
        >
        > We welcome papers on the antiquarian use of imagery and visual
        > documentation as well as discussions on the roles of imagery in the past
        > and in the present.
        >

        > Please contact:
        > Fredrik Fahlander
        > fredrik.fahlander@
        > </group/ArchaeologyTheoryMethod/post?postID=lybupBLq5XTuRc6uSauOnc4jvs9K\
        > CsPfhhvL2qw0q-Nzg7GFwE6uIG3CF0MbXktGFTpszEwuD7HRz_h9IH-cgtQoGg> >

      • james m clark jr
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2011
          Dr. Fahlander just recived an email from me.

          If he decides to join AWS or reply I will relay that message as some may need Fred's alt. addy before addressing much larger groups.

          Shucks Woman if I had known it was your B-day I'd sent you a bag of pecans to spinkle on some banana pudding... that is one thing I think my ma still makes better than anyone else. My Grandma just turned 91;
          she migrated to York Pa. last year. Out of 3 sisters she was the only one that didn't join the Daughters of the Confederacey whom it was that raised money to reconstruct Fort Hawkins before womens lib which should have been an archaological site over a century ago insted of about years ago.