Conference on Ancient America

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2005
      Welcome to Marti, the newest member of Ancient Waterways Society web
      site! The group is very open to ideas and suggestions for this
      particular web link.

      As one of the group's functions as a resource, I am including part
      of an attachment about an upcoming PreColumbian conference to be
      held close to the fall peak near the shores of Lake Superior during
      the peak of the autumn season.

      Though I am neither a member of the ancient american artifact
      committee nor involved in the conference this year, I know most of
      the presenters quite well and I wish to include contact information
      for those of you interested in networking with others your own
      research and interests. The conference will be somewhat informal
      within a rather remote area of Upper Michigan. I suggest taking an
      extra two or three days to visit the Porcupine Mt-Keeweenaw eninsula
      Copper Country, approximately two hours west of Marquette.

      Those interested, please email or call the conference chair listed
      below for a full email attachment and further information.

      Respectfully,
      Foundation
      "Bringing Together Diverse Pieces of the Ancient American
      Puzzle"

      You Won't Want to Miss This Exciting Gathering of Enthusiasts
      from all Areas of Ancient American Research, Sharing Their Latest
      Discoveries.

      Hear, Meet, and Discuss Your Favorite Subjects with Top People in
      the Field! See Displays of Thousands of Artifacts! Sponsored by
      AAAPF – Ancient American Artifact Preservation Foundation
      "Bringing Together Diverse Pieces of the Ancient American Puzzle"

      *************
      Guest Presenters (so far, & subject to change):

      Beverly Mosely, Author/Historian/Researcher – "Interpreting
      Burrough's Cave Artifacts"

      Frank Joseph, Author/Researcher/Editor, Ancient American Magazine
      "Atlantis in the U.P."

      Wayne May, Author/Researcher/Publ. Ancient American
      Magazine–"Adena
      Hopewell Update"

      Fred Rydholm, Author/Researcher – "Michigan Copper; the
      Untold Story"

      Myron Paine, Ph.D./Author – "Finding the Frozen Trail &
      Panoramas Along the Path"

      Jim Michael, Author/Researcher – "Ancient American Symbols
      with Old World British Meanings"

      John White, Researcher/Ed. Midwestern Epigraphic Soc.–
      "Kokopeli-Interpretation Son of the Sun"

      David Hoffman, Researcher – "Ancient American Waterways &
      Links to the Old World"

      Marion Dahm, Vikings in America Researcher – "Norsemen &
      Vikings in the Last 5,000 Years-featuring new finds in Ohio,
      Illinois, Canada and more"

      Nelson Jecas, Diver/Researcher – "Ancient Underwater Finds"

      Judi Rudibush, Norse Researcher – "New Evidence on Mooring
      Stones'"

      Zena Halpern, Author/Researcher – "Jewish Connection with
      Ancient America"

      Vernon Peterson, Diver/Researcher – "Copper Artifacts from
      Lake Superior"

      Alan Wilson – "The King Arthur Conspiracy"

      Lodging and Great Food on Site. (List of Nearby Lodging in
      Registration Forms)
      For Registration forms and information, please contact:

      Judy M Johnson, Conference Chair, Secretary, AAAPF
      judyspapergoods@... PO Box 216 Skandia MI 49885
      Ph 906-942-7865

      Conference on Ancient America - Bay Cliff Health Camp
      Big Bay, Michigan - October 7-8-9, 2005
    • Marmot
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2005
        Thanks for the welcome Susan.

        Thoughts about how ancient people may have wandered to various parts of the globe via the water intrigues me. Humans are a curious and resourceful species, I just can't imagine ancient people who were fully at home and adapted to the natural world didn't explore their world with every means available to them. I remember seeing a show on PBS where they found the skeletal remains of a person in a cave on an island in what is now the Alaskan panhandle, the human and animal remains present in the cave dated from the time of the ice age when that location was an island of life among the glaciers. It seemed there were many such ice free zones that people could travel to as they migrated along the sea edge in their small boats.

        We know there was the Maritime Archaic culture on the east coast of North America that was fully marine adapted 6 to 7 thousand years ago. Of particular interest to me is this theory that some of the original inhabitants of North America might have come from Europe during the ice age.   http://www.centerfirstamericans.com/mt.html?a=52

        Small boats are capable of much more than many of us can imagine, having spent some time in a sea kayak I've become aware of this, and I'm a very timid paddler.

        Marti