The passing of member, Joy Pennington (Kentucky)

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2011

      From: Lee Pennington <leepennington@...>
      Subject: Joy's Journey

      Date: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 6:10 AM

      Susan,

      Joy's beautiful journey ending last night.

      Lee

      JOY STOUT PENNINGTON

      Edith Joy Stout Pennington, 71, of Louisville, died peacefully at her home, March 23, with Lee, her husband of 49 years, at her side.  Her body was cremated and her ashes will be spread at sea.

      She was born and  raised in the mountains of east Tennessee--not far from the original town site of old Butler (now submerged under Watauga Lake).

      She was preceded in death by her parents ( Haskel and Lona Stout of Butler, TN) and two sisters (Jan Tucker, Woodbridge, VA;  and Jean Miller, Elizabethton, TN ) and a brother (Ray Stout, Elizabethton, TN).

      In addition to her husband, Lee, she is survived by three sisters (Sandy Miller, Durham, NC; Dot Stout, Butler, TN; and Margery Church (Allen), Butler, TN) and two brothers (Don Stout (Nancy) Orlando, FL; and Bill Stout, Butler, TN).

      Joy was a retired professor of English at the University of Kentucky Jefferson Community College (now Jefferson Community and Technical College) where she taught the last 32 years of her career.  She had previously taught at Southeast Community College in Cumberland, KY and Newburgh Free Academy in Newburg, NY.

      She earned degrees from Berea College, Berea, KY and the University of Iowa, Iowa City.

      Widely traveled, Joy and Lee had visited all the United States, all the Canadian Provinces except one, and 72 foreign countries.

      She edited Selected Kentucky Literature, published by Archer Editions Press in 1980.

      For 26 years Joy was volunteer Executive Director of  the annual Corn Island Storytelling Festival in Louisville.

      Joy was co-owner of JoLe Productions, a film company she and her husband established in 1990.  Together, they produced 21 documentaries, including The Mound Builders, Eyes That Look at the Sky: the Mystery of Easter Island, The Serpent Fort: Solving the Mystery of Fort Mountain, Georgia,  and Wales: History in Bondage.

      An open-to-the-public celebration of Joy's life will be held Sunday, March 27, 1 PM, at Newcomer Funeral Home, 235 Juneau Drive, Middletown, KY.

      Expressions of sympathy in Joy's name may be made to Hosparus of Louisville (PO Box 35425, Louisville, KY 40233).

      Remembrances of  Joy can be made online at: www.newcomerlouisville.com

    • Martin Carriere
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2011
        Joy will be missed. Her continued work and support of the efforts of Lee, and countless researchers who were always touched with her gentle and caring ways, has brought the movement for uncovering the truth of diffusion to the indisputable force it is today.

        All our love sweet Joy and Lee,

        Martin and Ben Carriere

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2011

          I had sent a post about the passing of one of our friends, Joy Pennington, whose memorial service was this afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky and I believe at least two or three of you attended, but a number of folks from AWS, AAPS, the Atlantic Conference and others posted messages to Joy's memorial page, and sent deep condolences to Lee and family:    http://www.newcomerlouisville.com/obitmessages.asp?obitid=47130&EMSessionID=-1&Source=value      Martin, I know of Lee's fondness and respect for you and your son, from working together at the Atlantic Conference, and added your words of comfort and honor to Joy's memorial page.

          Rick also set up a Facebook page:  http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=155470637846413#wall_posts

          Joy was an active participant during our three day Ancient Waterways gathering in Upper Michigan's Copper country a few years ago which I'd set up around the filming of a documentary the Penningtons were doing on ancient copper mining, trade, navigation.  Lee and Joy  also transported many of us from the Atlantic Conference around Nova Scotia following the 2008 conference in Halifax, knew Nova Scotia intimately, called it their 'second home'.  Their countless contributions span decades,  some of which may be seen in their documentaries.  I have most of the joleproduction DVD's and am happy to send some of you other members - on-loan or for purchase should you wish to keep your copy, perhaps  host small AWS gatherings of your own at your own location.

          Same day I received word from Lee about Joy, friends from the Prophets Conferences ( www.greatmystery.org ) in whcih I have assisted on-location as a staff person in Mexico and the Florida Keys, informed me that artist, author, speaker, and visionary Dr. Jose Arguelles (The Mayan Factor)  died Thursday after a brief illness.  Jose only knew me as a hard working friendly face at conferences and the the last was in January, 2010 in Cancun and titled, "2012:  The Tipping Point".   Countless friends he knew, many with whom I worked, including PC hosts, Cody and Robin Johnson will feel his loss for some time.

          "Although time (and not too much of it) will tell, I suspect that José will be honored as one of the most important thinkers in human history."
          —Daniel Pinchbeck

          José Argüelles is the man who first introduced the date December 21, 2012 into mass consciousness with The Mayan Factor. The initiator of the Harmonic Convergence global peace meditation of 1987, Argüelles is also the founder of the annual Whole Earth Festival (1970) in California, and one of the originators of the Earth Day concept