Ohio Hand effigy & Upper MIchigan petroglyphs

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2011
      Ross, William, and All,
      When looking for more information about the 'Hopewell Group' earthworks I ran across--also from Ross County, Ohio--an interesting web page of a mica "Human Hand Effigy".
      http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/image.php?img=1787   I was unable to find information regarding hand symbology but maybe someone from this group does.   I found the length of the fingers interesting.Human Hand Effigy

      For some time I have been trying to find an internet photo of a petroglyph that mimics the appearance of a giant hand imprint that was discovered (or rediscovered) a few years ago near Copper Harbor, Michigan, not far from the petroglyph sites shown in the History Channel documentary, "Holy Grail in North America".  Charles and those of you who attended the 3-day Ancient Waterways  Lake Superior gathering climbed up to see the glyphs , but none of us were aware yet of the hand petroglyph.   I've not yet made the long, difficult trek in to see this glphy. A photo of it is on the cover of Ancient American Magazine #85.  Perhaps member Bob Wheeler from Houghton (30 miles south of Copper Harbor) can tell us more about the glyphs.  AWS has photos of BAAL? glyphs on his property,which some of you who have been members awhile have seen in our Photos section: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ancient_waterways_society/photos/album/1823521954/pic/list

      I am not trying to inter-relate the Keweenaw Peninsula copper country petroglyph with the Ohio Hopewell mica hand effigy.  But the latter inspired me to search for the cover photo of the copper country one.  The human hand in the photo belongs to author Jay Wakefield and is dwarfed by the one within the petroglyph.
      http://www.ancientamerican.com/backissues.html#cover85 (photo of issue #85 bottom of page)

      Member who plan to visit, or reside in that area of the U.Sreside or will visit that part of the country next week,  AWS Post # 2150 details the two Ancient Copper Artifacts and Stone Tools meetings that AAPS and Bob Wheeler are hosting next week at the library in downtown Houghton, Michigan.   Susan

    • Ross Hamilton

      Message 3 of 3 , Mar 14, 2011
        Ross,
        Thank you for taking time to send the Hopewell Mica w/Goodman rep. of the Lakota Star Hand attachment, and your accompanying note. To make it more accessible, I also added it to the Photos page, hopefully I included the # of your accompanying Post, which I suggest others do if submitting photos, links, files,etc.  For future reference purposes.  It was a grievous thing to hear the mica hand was also destroyed, as William Connor said had happened to a lot of the "Hopewell Group" earthworks in Ohio's Ross County.

        I sent Ross' post and the one I wrote prior to it to Judy Johnson at AAPS,  knew they would find it of interest because of the recently discovered hand petroglyph near Copper Harbor. I do not believe Dr. Renoud DeJong has written a report yet about it.  Next time you are in Upper MIchigan to speak at one of the AAPS conferences, perhaps AWS member, Bob Wheeler from Houghton, MI or other AAPS board member will take you into the Keweenaw  bushwhack along Lake Superior to see the hand petroglyph. Rumor from the harbor towns (two sources) told me there is another glyph near the hand that allegedly looks something like the 'Eye of Ra'.  I've seen no photos of it.

        Searching the net, found a photograph of a hand imprint or glyph, from Pipestone, NM.  Again, the lengthier than 'normal' fingers, as the Ohio mica and Keweenaw hands appear to have:   http://www.mnartists.org/work.do?rid=50309

         My appreciation again, Ross.  I look forward to some day touring the Serpent Mound, would love to meet you and Leslie ...and perhaps, too, spend a couple of informal hours with William Connor and other Ohio members hearing about some of the ancient earthworks and sacred sites.  Anyone from this group interested in meeting down at the Serpent Mound within the next year or two, let me know and perhaps we can set up a smsll, informal weekend gathering, including options for camping and fireside cooking/talks.  Which to me, seems to help one attune to early aboriginal and ancient peoples--the shorelines they inhabited, and waterways that connected them to diverse others, near and far.

        I've not mentioned the A-word here for some time.   Was in a discussion on Facebook this weekend with Crichton Miller from the UK and he submitted this wonderful 51-minute YouTube which includes some excellent interviews and demonstration of Miller's rediscovery of ancient use of the "Celtic Cross' which he believes was essential in ancient times worldwide for navigation, surveying, perhaps architecture.
        Besides good clips and demonstrations by Crichton, also included in this documentary are authors David Hatcher-Childress, Graham Hancock, John Anthony West:  "Atlantis: Secret Star Mappers of A Lost World"