1,000-year-old canoe found in Florida

  • kbs2244
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2011
      Re:
      Old canoe routs in FLA.

      Ortona Canal

      http://www.flarchaeology.org/

      This seems to be a canoe route across south FLA.
      Basicly from Ft Myers to Maimi, and even as far north as Jacksonville.

      In FLA once you are in the inland waterways just inland of the east coast you are in protected water from Lake Okeechobe to the GA state line.
      Some of it swamp like, very shallow water. Perfect for a canoe.

      This is a few years old, but it is the latest I could find.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2011

        Thanks for posting the interesting information, Jamey.    And, very good to hear from you, too,  Ross.  I'd bet many here wish they could get to Jeff Wilson's program at the Mound City National Monument in Ohio this Sunday; I believe that area is Eastern Time--do you go  on Daylight Savings Time early Sunday as we in the Central Time  zone do?  I forwarded your letter to Larry Hancock.  If he lives in or near Ohio, he may not want to miss Jeff's presentation.   Thanks for listing the information.  Keep us posted on the Great Serpent Mound; I am heading down there soon as I can get things organized.

        KBS,  Thanks for what looks like very useful, first-hand information on canoe or water routes across S. Florida.  If you or others here navigate some of the water routes down there, or hear of further updates on the sites,  let us know.  From the Florida Archaeological and Historical Conservency web site you sent, I was glad to see more on the Miami Circle, which is one of their projects.  I spent more than a week on-site during early excavation of the Circle; Dr. Robert Carr was lead archaeologist at the site.  I see he is director of the conservancy and web site you posted.  The ancient Ortona Canals you mentioned is another of their recent projects.  I imagine Ancient Canal Builders of America reserachers John Jensen and AWS member Steve Garcia  list this site as one of their areas of investigation.
          I am pasting this fine map from the Florida archaeology link you posted,  http://www.flarchaeology.org/ :
         Ortona Canals
        Map of Two Ancient Ortona Canals
        on Caloosahatchee River
        Map of Two Ancient Ortona Canals on Caloosahatchee River - Click for larger view
        In 1839 surveyors recorded a group of unusual earthworks near the Caloosahatchee River. They believed that these were fortifications built by Europeans. But in fact, they had discovered one of the largest groups of mounds and the longest system of transportation canals created by Native Americans in North America. AHC has recently radio-carbon dated the canal system to about A.D. 300, the same age as the Miami Circle. The significance of the Ortona Earthworks is that it demonstrates that the South Florida Indians were culturally more advanced at an earlier date than many scholars had suspected, and were capable of large engineering projects which require organization and a stratified society. An analysis of the artifacts recovered from the site indicates that the Ortona Indians may have been related to the Calusa.
        This illustration is the 1871 Tannerhill map showing the two Ortona canals running southwest to northeast. Ortona Mound Park is located nearby, with its entrance near State Road 78. The park is open for picnicking from sunrise to sunset, with a barbeque pit and several pavilions. An exhibit and trail interpret the site.
        In April, 2004 the staff of Mnemotrix (http://www.mnemotrix.com) conducted a ground penetrating radar (GPR) survey to establish a GPR signature of this ancient canal.
        GPR FiguresClick here for figures from GPR study.

         --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "kbs2244" <kbs2244@...> wrote:

        > Re:
        > Old canoe routs in FLA.
        >
        > Ortona Canal
        >
        > http://www.flarchaeology.org/
        >
        > This seems to be a canoe route across south FLA.
        > Basicly from Ft Myers to Maimi, and even as far north as Jacksonville.
        >
        > In FLA once you are in the inland waterways just inland of the east coast you are in protected water from Lake Okeechobe to the GA state line.
        > Some of it swamp like, very shallow water. Perfect for a canoe.
        >
        > This is a few years old, but it is the latest I could find.

      • charles bruns
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
          Let me five-star these waters mentioned from Daytona/Halifax, north through Flagler, and up to the Matanzas Pass.  Paradise in the hammock.  chb