Notices of upcoming meetings (Houghton, Michigan & LaFarge, Wisconsin)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2011

      For those living in or traveling to the upper Midwest, below are notices for two meetings.  I hope that members of our group will feel free to let us know details of upcoming related conferences, meetings or other events in your area of the world.

       The first was sent to me by AWS member Robert Wheeler, and by Judy Johnson,  both board members for the Ancient Artifact Preservation Society in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

       The second notice is from Mark Cupp, director of the Lower Wisconsin State Riverway Board (  http://lwr.state.wi.us/category_print.asp?linkcatid=540&linkid=230&locid=50 )

      AAPS Presentation@ Houghton Library, Houghton, Michigan:
        Ancient Copper Artifacts and Stone Tools
      On Friday March 18th, 7:00pm EST and Saturday March 19th, 2:00pm EST at the Portage Lake District Library,
      Mr. Don Spohn, a long time collector and expert on ancient copper artifacts will show selected pieces from his collection, speak on the various cultures that pounded copper down through the ages, ancient man's spiritual, symbolic perception and connection to copper and when copper was first pounded in Michigan, according to latest carbon tests.
      Mr Spohn invites anyone having copper artifacts to bring them to the meeting for inspection and discussion.
      Also at this meeting will be a discussion and showing of locally found ancient stone tools. Anyone who has what they think could be stone tools is invited to bring and share.
      This presentation is brought to you by the Ancient Artifact Preservation Society and is free and open to the public.

      Driftless Region Archaeology - Ancient Peoples,

      Landscapes, & Wildlife

      Wed., March 30, 2011 @ 7:00 PM

      Jim Theler, of the Mississippi Valley Archaeology Center at University of Wisconsin LaCrosse will give an illustrated presentation that will consider the nature of the regional environment and its use by ancient Native peoples. Refreshments and socializing at 6:30 pm. Talk begins at 7:00 pm.

      The Driftless Dialogue IV series is brought to you in part by a grant from the Kickapoo Valley Reforestation (Nuzum) Fund.

      Meet at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve Visitor Center

      S3661 State Highway 131, La Farge, Wisconsin

      For more information, contact the Kickapoo Valley Reserve at

      (608) 625-2960 or email kickapoo.reserve@...