Re: Wisconsin rights

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2011
      Two new members joined our group this week:
      Bruce (bdgrimes)  from Louisville, KY on February 27th;
      luponv7 became our 90th member today.  Welcome to you both!

      Re: the post last week Wisconsin rights... and the posts today,  Wisconsin rights... Who is Linda?,  sorry I missed the post, which is unrelated to ancient, waterways, the 'diffusion of people, cultures, and goods through the ancient world'.  Nor probably understood by non-Wisconsonites and an international membership probably not finding this site easy to find common ground (waters) from such a diverse group.

      I am one of three administrators monitoring this group so busy this week I'd only been checking posts via my emailbox (the co-hosts & host receive duplicate Posts to our  email address).  I also regularly receive personal emails from Ted S. (educator from Iowa) and when I read the letter on Wisconsin rights, thought it was an email onlly to me (I am from Wisconsin and aware of the political situation at our state capital).  I do not think Ted meant to post the letter to Ancient Waterways Society, and since Linda's letter is included, I am going to go ahead and delete the posts.   Ted, you send some wonderful posts, insights, art, and we admire your immense efforts as a lifelong member and contributor with the Native Earthworks Preservation Society.

      Welcome once again to the newcomers.

      Susan

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2011
        In regards to the letter I sent to Susan, she is correct that the message should have only gone to her.

        My apologies to anyone that was offended by the letter I forwarded to Susan.  It was a thank you for introducing me to one of the hard workers trying to help an organization reform to protect the mounds along the river in her area.

        Susan is wonderful in connecting people and I am glad she gave my address to the lady from Madison who is trying to plan a conference for the Ancient Earthworks group which is re-forming in Wisconsin.

        There are many ancient earthworks or Effigy Mounds along the stretch of the Wisconsin River that runs by Madison. Wisconsin, from Prairie du Sac to the mouth of the river near Prairie du Chien.  This does classify as an Ancient Waterway and was the one used by Marquette and Joliet to reach the Mississippi and followed to the St. Louis area near Cahokia. It is more than likely a major route for ancient cooper to reach the middle of America along with the Illinois River,which connect further South than Wisconsin.  There were many toll takers along the way of this trading route and include the Sac and Fox nation who lived at Lake Butte des Mortes.

        For those of you who are not familiar with the area you might want to look at  these sites to familiarize your self with this part of history and the area.  I am not a member of these groups but am sympathetic and I don't want to toot my groups horn.

        This effigy mound building period is marked by a National Monument at Marquette, IA.   This is also near the mouth of the Wisconsin.  The area was proposed to be a National Park in the 1900's but there were already too many residents in the area.   I think the earliest trading post or fort was up river at Trempeleau that was built by a trader named Perrot.

        This a diverse group and it is one of the things about it that I enjoy.

        Ted
        Native Earthworks Preservation / Iowa

        On Mar 2, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Susan wrote:

[...]

      • james m clark jr
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2011
          I've tried to delete the message twice, but apparently yahoo still has some glitches.

          jmcjr

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2011
            Thank you, Jamey.  I deleted a few of my own posts a couple of years ago that did not not have replies or comments from other member cascading below.

            I appreciate the time and thoughtful contributions you make here at this group.
            Let us know sometime if you hear further about the two properties along Tennessee's Highland Rim that you were helping investigate.  I continue to wonder if the large volume of reported stone bird heads and giant bones (reptile?) in sinkholes and caves accumulated over time from ancient settlements, or were from glacial wash.

            Respectfully,
            Susan English