Re: Eye on Archaeology

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2011

      I greatly appreciated the thoughtful, action-provoking post written with much sincerity by archaeologist, Liz Kasly.  Thank you for taking time to put the excellent data and your personal feelings into the post to the group (and society at large who accesses this public domain).  I heard from others that they enjoyed the article; one or two said they mailed you personally.  I know folks are more comfortable with 1:1 personal relationships here, but I hope too that some here will also feel free to include comments about posts by Liz (and others here who muster the time and courage to write public posts).  Doing so encourages dialogue here, provides public recognition and support (or polite constructive feedback), individual/group synergy, and furthers knowledge into the public domain.  Many times I am doing a search of a related subject and come across the AWS posts of many of you here!  I am glad most posts are not chat or contain nonsensical information in slang or jargon that almost no one can understand.   Fine for Facebook or chat sites.   Dozens of us here have Facebook sites and chat here and there from time to time but 99% of posts, data, web links feed through at a rapid pace and are irretrievably gone forever within a short period of time.   Reminds me of the rapid flow, disappearance of intercommunications, artifacts, sites of ancient peoples, all in the name of 'rapid progress'....

      To me, the times we are living and frequent changes occurring seem to be beaconing for wisdom from what legacies remain of the ancient past.  And too, for more and more opportunities for 'group counsel' among elders and wisdomkeepers of our times, as was absolutely essential and traditional among early historic and ancient ancestry of most cultures worldwide.  What better avenues than through serious, intelligent, cordial groups as ours focussed upon ancient global waterways and the people who traveled and inhabited its shores?

      Liz' mention of prehistoric archaeological sites in the uplands of O'Fallon, Illinois got me exploring... only had time to check out this fascinating article whose location is likely somewhere within the vicinity, possibly a satellite of Cahokia.  And predecessor!  I've not read Struever's book so am not endorsing it, yet am highly intrigued by the possible 7500 BC and layers upon layers of evidence 34 feet down.  Which also exemplifies some of Liz' points and surely makes me want to be part of a mini field trip to that area if one arises.  Especially when I start hearing about several millinnea ago, which aligns with my passion ' to help us rediscover who we human beings really are....'  (Maybe you know this archaelogist, Elizabeth?)

      The Koster Site, 26 occupations starting 34 feet below a farmhouse: http://archaeology.about.com/cs/bookreviews/fr/koster.htm

      .....beneath the Koster farm lies evidence of 26 different human occupations, beginning with the early Archaic period, around 7500 BC, and ending with the Koster farm. Village after village, some with cemeteries, some with houses, beginning some 34 feet below the modern Koster farmstead. Each occupation was buried by the flood deposits of the river, each occupation leaving its mark on the landscape nonetheless.

      Koster: Americans in Search of their Prehistoric Past

      Koster: Americans in Search of their Prehistoric Past

      Waveland Press (2000) Struever, Stuart and Felicia Antonelli Holton. 2000 (reprint). Koster: Americans in Search of Their Prehistoric Past. Waveland Press. ISBN 1-57766-167-2

      From: Buried Beneath a Farmstead

      In the state of Illinois, in the middle of the continental United States, in the river valley named for the Native American group and from which the state takes its name, near where the Illinois River meets the Mississippi, lies the archaeological site known as Koster. Koster's importance to the recognition of the existence of deeply buried sites is not often articulated, but it should be.

      In 1968, Stuart Struever was a faculty member in the anthropology department at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He was a "down-stater," however, having grown up far from Chicago in the small town of Peru, Illinois, and he never lost the ability to speak the language of the down-stater. And so it was that he made true friendships among the landowners of the Lowilva, the local name for the Lower Illinois Valley, where the Mississippi River meets the Illinois. Among the life-long friends he made were Theodore "Teed" Koster and his wife Mary, retired farmers who just happened to have an archaeological site on their property, who just happened to be interested in the past.

      It's really not coincidence, you know.