Re: JSTOR: Archaeology under Water

  • james m. clark jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2007
      Oh I very much consider that Herb

      I was informed about two years ago that a dugout canoe was cought on
      a trout line by a fella my brother-in-law knew before he (the man
      that keept the canoe with intensions to sell it) has since died and
      now his sister may still have it. This family from the way my brother-
      in-law put is very superstitious and believe the canoe was cursed. It
      may not be good for archaeological data now, but I could still use it
      for Native Awareness projects and guess speakers.

      I couldn't tell you how long ago I seen a program, 20/20 or primetime
      perhaps, but some guy was harvesting waterloged trees that had sunk
      in the depths of the Great Lakes, yet after 150 years or so they were
      worth there weight in gold which was around 325.00 once at the time.
      The wood was suitable for high dollar musical instruments. If I
      recall correctly only this one man has or had the rights to harvest
      the wood. At that time my interests as far as history was aroung the
      Black Sea which is just as deep as the Great Lakes. Do you know if
      fresh water in the open sea is stable for an extended period of time?
      I kind of figured it would be somewhat like water in oil or vice
      versa.

      At any rate, I assume the Army Core of Engineers had something to do
      with that; somewhat like a redicules 50 year contract permitting a
      local Brick company to harvest clay practically through the Ocmulgee
      National Monument State Park - which will destroy 3 archaeological
      sites as well as knowing that Macon is prone to occasional flooding.
      Actually I was trying to organize a down river protest to the
      atlantic and walk to Savannah, but I was to late, there wasn't enough
      time to do anything.

      be well,
      jamey

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"
      <herbswoods@...> wrote:

      > When you consider that almost all travel at one time through the
      upper
      > Midwest and other areas was by canoe along waterways, plus the fact
      > that early populations lived on waterways, finding submerged
      > archaeological evidence is a distinct possibility.
      >
      > I have been snorkeling shallow northern Wisconsin canoe streams and
      > lakes and am always on the lookout for artifacts and ancient fossil
      > remains. So far I haven't found anything of significance, but that
      day
      > may come. Several modern artifacts of course.
      >

      > > JSTOR: Archaeology under Water
      > > Underwater archeology is a fairly new branch of archaeology. As a
      new
      > > subject it has probably ... It now appears how rich Trier is in
      this
      > > respect as well. ...
      > >
      > > links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-9114(196801)72%3A1%3C85%3AAUW%
      3E2.0.CO%
      > > 3B2-I
      > >

      > > The material you requested is included in JSTOR, an online
      journal
      > > archive made available to researchers through participating
      libraries
      > > and institutions.
      > >
      > > This article is available for purchase from the publisher for
      $8.50
      > > USD. However, the article may be available free of cost to you
      via
      > > your affiliation with a participating institution or individual
      > > access account.
      > >
      > > Review: [Untitled]
      > > Reviewed Work(s):
      > > Archaeology under Water by George F. Bass
      > > Review author[s]: John E. Rexine
      > > American Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 72, No. 1 (Jan., 1968), pp.
      85-
      > > 86
      > > doi:10.2307/501836
      > >
      > > On another note, there is a University where I live that carries
      > > JSTOR material (ethnology would be my preference)that can be read
      at
      > > the University without a library card (here it's $50)perhaps
      being
      > > affilated, JSTOR material would be allowed to refer to in tech
      groups
      > > such as this and Cherokee History and not-for-profit foundations
      such
      > > as that, that I have yet help established alone the lines of TASC
      > > Inc.; and Native Earthworks both orgs perhaps inspired by Joe
      Watkins