Re: Diffusion across Beringia

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011

      Lonni,  I did a search and interestingly, the novelist (author of Lolita & other fiction novels)  and the Vladimir Nabokov who authored the Nabokov Theory on Butterfly Evolution are the same person!

      I very much enjoyed the recent Post from AWS host MinnesotaStan's award winning blog, TYWKIWDBI ("Tai-Wiki-Widbee") "Things You Wouldn't Know If We Didn't Blog Intermittently" and am a regular follower of that beautifully designed, well-managed site.  Stan puts considerable time and effort into that popular site that I am especially grateful he stays on as our site's host.

      Below is another brief entry from Stan today (1/31/11) at TYWKIWDBI about the 2000+ year old Antikythera mechanism.  Many of you might be further intrigued by his second link w/two minute YouTube video on the 'working model' of the above made from Lego parts

      Last  year I wrote a post the Antikythera mechanism and its possible relationship to the Olympics.  Now a working model can be made from Lego parts.  "Since gears with 19, 47, 127, and 223 teeth were not publicly available, a complex differential shaft had to be fashioned."

       (here are the links in case they are not clickable within my post.  Thanks for all of your efforts, Stan):

      http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2008/08/antikythera-mechanism-and-olympics.html

      http://www.neatorama.com/2010/12/10/a-lego-antikythera-mechanism/

      TYWIWDBI home page: http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/

      Re: the stone sphers.... a friend (David) from the AAPS group stopped here following his trip to Costa Rica, spoke of visiting sites of stone spheres/concretions in that area.  Several members of AAPS too will be among the volunteer crew doing fieldwork at the 'Bosnian Pyramid' next summer, and there are many articles on the web about the Bosnian stone spheres.  Natural or hand-crafted, ancient or modern, these worldwide phenomena are an interesting subject. No one I have been in contact with has heard of such anomalous rocks in Ohio.  Anyone having photos or links, please Post them w/easily retrievable subject title.  Thanks Jamie, William, Steve for posts and comments....