Welcome, new member Liz Kassly; Re: "Ancient Canals?"

  • ekassly
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 21, 2011
      Thankyou for the 'Welcome's' to your group.

      Since the 1970's only a few excavations have been undertaken at Cahokia Mounds. A large burial complex was excavated in a slightly elevated 7ft high Mound 72. Anyone interested in the morphology and DNA of this high status beaded Birdman burial should get the book called 'CAHOKIA The Great Native American Metropolis' by Biloine Whiting Young and Melvin Fowler and another book called 'CAHOKIA Ancient America's Great City on the Mississippi' by Timothy Pauketat.
      DNA is discussed within the group by a method called 'Carabelli's Cusp'...studying the teeth because the bones were pancaked together due to density of the clay soils. A mention is made of burial similarities to the Natchez.

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows <v_barrows@...> wrote