January 2011 National Geographic article

  • ted sojka
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011
      There is an article on Cahokia in the Jan. 2011 issue. It contains new discoveries which should interest ancient waterway people. A new bridge being built is affording new materials to be uncovered across the river form St. Louis.

      There is a good book called "Cahokia" by Tim Pauketet of the U of Illinois that contains a pretty good history of all the archeology done on the site and those now lost due to construction in St.Louis proper. It use to be called "Mound City" , and you can find out why.
      ted
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011

        Ted, do you have the book Cahokia by Tim Pauketat mentioned in your post ?  Perhaps new member Liz is acquainted with him; here is an exerpt: http://www.onpointradio.org/2009/09/cahokia-by-timothy-pauketat-excerpt

        Ted, I wonders if you might re-submit to the group some of your drawings that you posted a few weeks after you joined us.  If you don't have copyrite concerns, maybe you could add it to Files or Links.. Folks here such as Vince, MinnesotaStan, Rick, Steve, Jamie are helpful with submissions here that are more easily accessible ( rather than getting buried under hundreds of Posts ).

        It is good you brought up the January, 2011 Natl. Geographic issue again, especially with a few new members the past two weeks.  That issue contains the article Vince submitted 12/29/10 in Post #2007 w/detailed commentary in #2009.  At that time he also added it to our Links section under Folder Mound Builders Sites , then Cahokia Mounds Article ... 'From National Geographic Magazine - January 2011; http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/cahokia/hodges-text/1

        This being predominantlly a self-moderating group, the host/co-hosts don't routinely comment on each post, or even most posts, yet it is always heartwarming to me when members welcome newcomers, provide support and encouragement to others posting, or help show interconnections between the interests, research, geographical locations (especially waterways) of other members here, which to me, adds to the synergy of group and individual efforts.  Many of Ted's posts the past two or three years since he joined exemplify this.

        Ted,  I am among those who consider you a third co-host here...

        Susan

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "ted sojka" <tedsojka@...> wrote:

        > There is an article on Cahokia in the Jan. 2011 issue. It contains new discoveries which should interest ancient waterway people. A new bridge being built is affording new materials to be uncovered across the river form St. Louis.
        >
        > There is a good book called "Cahokia" by Tim Pauketet of the U of Illinois that contains a pretty good history of all the archeology done on the site and those now lost due to construction in St.Louis proper. It use to be called "Mound City" , and you can find out why.
        > ted

      • Steven Steigerwald
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2011
          Yes Ted its a good book I got one of the first ones.
          Steve S.

          To: ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
          From: tedsojka@...
          Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:15:46 +0000