Galena

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2011
      John Walthall wrote a pamphlet on Galena and Aboriginal Trade in Eastern North America. The Mann site is described as a middle woodland village site in Posey County,Indiana. The galena
      found at the Mann site was tested for elemental composition, which is said
      to be from South east Missouri.

      Monks mound also had a 5-6 lb cube of galena and Poverty point had a 9.7 lb nodule.

      Salutations;
      Vince

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2011
        • 1 Attachment
        • 802 KB
        Ted;
        The latest update on the copper smelting/ annealing was presented by Lori Belnap in 2008. Lori attempted to replicate the pattern of copper in Mound 34 and a copy of Lori's presentation is attached.

        Excavator John Kelly also wrote the following about Mound 34 "The two copper working areas that Perino identified in the area north of the mound 34 center were thought to have been possible production places for copper objects found in the "ceremonial fires" and other mound destruction deposits.  Features identified and mapped consist of several wall trench structures, including the copper workshop house, pit features, one large post pit, and Perino’s refuse trench."

        Vince

        Hum, I even call all my own family members young or old, woman. I don't know how it is up north, but it's an honorable title in mine, or at least, I make it one that is of honor, speaking for myself.

        Thanks for the concern & concept though & be well all,
        jamey

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Martin Carriere <metismartin@...> wrote:

        > I concur with Susan on the note Jamey. Using the term woman is less than professional and does not bring honour to the hard work and commitment that Susan brings to all of her associations. If we can agree to stay within these terms of respect the waters will remain clear and resilient.
        >
        > Love and blessings,
        >
        > Martin Carriere

      • Piltdown Jack
        Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011

          Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
            Years ago, I was invited on a dig by then State Archeologist Fred Phinney at site near an Oneota village on the Upper Iowa River.  He had determined that a rim shard from a large vessel was made of Cahokia clay from the American Bottoms area.  It was found in a round dwelling that was surrounded by a stockade.  The stockade area had black obsidian glass from the yellowstone area, a part of a conch shell from the Gulf coast , and the nearby village site had copper from the UP of Michigan in the form of rolled beads.  Quite the traders for the years around 1200!

            Hum, I even call all my own family members young or old, woman. I don't know how it is up north, but it's an honorable title in mine, or at least, I make it one that is of honor, speaking for myself.

            Thanks for the concern & concept though & be well all,
            jamey

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Martin Carriere <metismartin@...> wrote:

            > I concur with Susan on the note Jamey. Using the term woman is less than professional and does not bring honour to the hard work and commitment that Susan brings to all of her associations. If we can agree to stay within these terms of respect the waters will remain clear and resilient.
            >
            > Love and blessings,
            >
            > Martin Carriere

          • Larry Hancock
            Message 6 of 8 , Feb 24, 2012
            Copper Oxhide from Warren Dexter's America's Ancient Stone Relics.
            Elizabeth Copper Mine, Strafford, VT.
            Message 7 of 8 , Feb 25, 2012
              Larry,
              I appreciate your submitting several resources on ancient copper, oxhides.  As Ted, I hope you will elaborate further on what looks to be a mold, and the location of the morning star shaped ox-hide.  Was your reference to a Lee Farm, or a "Lea" farm and mounds on the Clinch River in Tennessee? Here's another possibility for Pre-historic  smelting within the Americas.
              It is good you re- titled your last two posts before sending.  For the sake of accessibility,  perhaps you will put the earlier copper-related attachments into another post, or our group Files, Photos, or Links.  It made the responses complicated after I sent one rather than two separate posts when bringing up Francisco's interesting topic and link, as well as Renoud's papers on Crete and Copper.

              Regarding ancient copper, I lifted the following from one of the attachments Larry Hancock sent:

              (illustration, p. 30,  Warren Dexter, 1995) ..." Ogam (vowelless) writing again appears in upper Michigan in the form of the name of Baal on two almost identical amulets....In ancient times the shape of the commodity of copper was in the form of an oxhyde because it was by weight (about 62 #) and shape comfortable with man's ability to carry.  In later eras when inflation set in that shape remained the same but the size diminished proportionately.  "

              The two amulets reportedly inscribed with BAAL symbology listed in Dexter's book said one was on display in , Michigan  and the other [at MTU] in Houghton, Michigan.  I engaged In many conversations with Ruth, the (now deceased) curator of the Ontonagon museum who had a personal file cabinet in her museum office that was predominantly cross-cultural diffusionist related.  Yet, i have heard no mention through the years of either amulet in Ontonagon  or at Michigan Tech. University in Houghton.

              Hopefully member Bob Wheeler of Houghton is following posts. At least two epigraphers and others who have visited his Houghon  site believe symbols on at least two half-buried buried boulders are BAAL inscriptions.  The Houghton "Wheeler" glyphs were found only several years ago when Robert's family began preparing land for a garden; the site is carefully protected awaiting archaeological investigation.  So far neither interest nor funding for formal excavation or study has come forth.

              See our Photos section for photos of the two Wheeler site petroglyphs. Robert is also the founder of the Copper Country Ancient Sites Preservation Society which meets the first Friday or Saturday of the month at the Portage County Public library in downtown Houghton.  I don't have the web site handy but do not believe it is updated to recent and forthcoming meetings.

              Member  Renoud deJong wrote a paper on the Sailing Ship petroglyph near Copper Harbor, fifty or so miles north of Houghton, but the Slideshare links posted earlier are not active. Renoud, if you have written a report  on the Houghton petroglyphs, could you post the link?  Or, your thoughts about the inscriptions' symbology, possible origins, dating, etc.

              Thank you all.

              Sent my iPad

              Message 8 of 8 , Feb 25, 2012
                Susan I tried to put the photos (2) with my message, but they would not copy from facebook to add to my e mail.

                The first photos showed examples of Venus in art from Central America, and the second photo showed a 4 armed mold in the ground in Tennessee that was in the same pattern.  It was in the shape of your typical Hide from the bronze age in Europe.

                Ted