Loaner Books and Tapes

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011

      First of all, welcome to the new members.  I hope the AWS newcomer greeting letter is useful, and helps acquaint you to the efforts and interests of others here.  I suggest when some of you are posting, that if you have personal links related to the avenues of this diverse group, that you occasionally list it under your salutation.

      I want to thank Jamie, Martin, Ted Sojka for recent posts, Links, and mutual support of members' submissions and efforts here.  This group is self-moderating w/a host and two co-hosts overseeing.  We do not post responds to each individual as other groups tend to do, but there are many dozens of members and non-member onlookers who regularly follow postings.

      Here is the list I have been adding to for weeks, and will need to add/delete/edit again.  If you need to retrieve this later, go to

      Messages  and type in Message #2023 or Search Loaner Books and Tapes Message #   Search:

      Some "winter reading" for Ancient Waterways Society members.
      Loaner books, DVD's, articles

      This is a partial list and more books, articles, and DVD's might be added later, if folks here are interested.  I am in the middle of three books not listed. A few items are generous donations to me and/or for our group.  I include links to better identify each item, author, or speaker.  I use amazon.com links mainly for their site's accompanying reviews.

      Many books I list you should be able to access yourself from public libraries, inter-library loan, etc., or purchase used from sites such as amazon.com , sometimes for less than a dollar, plus postage.  Several, as I shall specify, may be previewed or even  accessed Full Text without cost, on-line via:
       http://books.google.com/  (type in book title left Search window)

      I will mail requested items to members, then you pay postage to the next interested person, or back to my address:

      Susan English--1045 St. Austin Aveuue--Wausau, Wisconsin 54403 USA

      I ask that DVD's not be copied, especially those belonging to members Lee and Joy Pennington ( Joleproductions.com ) and The Atlantic Conference (also among our membership) due to their high cost of production and fairly small quantity distribution.  Same too for the DVD by Crichton Miller, who sent us a complimentary copy of his DVD and book.  All are available for listening, and if you wish to keep the copy (ies) I send, mail me the purchase price to replace it.   I can almost always make purchases postage-free.

      BOOKS

      Sailing to Paradise-The Discovery of the Americas by 7000 B.C
      (hard cover, 1994) by . Dr. Jim  Bailey  ... if you want your own copy, Amazon.com has used 'good' copies ofthis for  $ .63 + domestic shipping & handling.  See reviews:

      The Giza Power Plant-Technologies of Ancient Egypt (1998) , by Christopher Dunn - http://gizapower.com/

      The Land of Osiris (2001) by Stephen S. Mehler (available free via GoogleBooks)  or: http://www.amazon.com/Land-Osiris-Stephen-S-Mehler/dp/0932813585

      Here is a 109 minute YouTube Land of Osiris Egypt Documentary (2007) by Stephen Mehler w/introduction by Christopher Dunn http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5387825475001846186#

      Prehistoric Copper Mining in the Lake Superior Region -a collection of reference articles (2005. reprint, soft cover from 1961 ed.) by Prof. Roy W. Drier & Octave J. DuTemple  (2 copies, new & numbered for borrowing or purchase; published privately by family. I can get more from Octave's daughter Leslie. Last I heard, Octave is alive, well, and in his 90's)

      Mystery of the Serpent Mound--In Search of the Alphabet of the Gods (2001), by member Ross Hamilton.  Preview via googlebooks.com .  Reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Serpent-Mound-Search-Alphabet/dp/1583940030

       Mystery of the Cove People- A History of the Lake Superior Ouinipegou (1999) by Ronald Stiebe- Ron spoke at an informal AWS function several years ago at Prospectors Paradise, Allouez, Michigan  (2 loaner copies) :
      ..."The book is a discussion of the early inhabitants of Sand Pointe. Ron, through careful study, has identified these Woodland Indians and has changed the Nicolet theory. His section, "Nicolet Myth and The Real Journey" will give you a clear understanding of how the historians placed him in Green Bay when in truth he was here in Baraga County! The book contains many interesting photos and side stories, including the rock cairns of Pequaming, The Bentzen Stone, carved in 1647, The Mystery Stone a Dolmen found in the Huron Mountains along with documentation of early traders and missionaries."  (From Baraga County Historical Museum website)
       How the Sungod Reached America c. 2500 B. C. -A Guide to Megalithic Sites (2002): http://www.howthesungod.com/
      and
      Rocks and Rows, Sailing Routes Across the Atlantic and the Copper Trade-A Study of Bronze Age Petroglyphs, Stone Circle and Row Monuments (2010): http://www.rocksandrows.com/  (both by Jay Wakefield &  Dr. Reinoud M. DeJong)

      The Golden Thread of Time-A Voyage of Discovery into the Lost Knowledge of the Ancients (2001), by Crichton E.M. Miller (UK) -book and DVD generously donated by Crichton, both listed under his web site: http://www.crichtonmiller.com/the_book.htm

      "The Cross of Thoth-The Hidden Truth to Mankind's Most Revered Symbol" (Metaphysical imagery/music DVD by Crochton Miller)

      SUPERIOR-Under the Shadow of the Gods-A Guide to the History of Lake Superior's Canadian Shore (2001) by Barbara Chisholm, Andrea Gutsche, & Russell Floren

      A Search for Cave and Canyon Art VOICES FROM THE STONE AGE (1974) by Douglas Mazonowicz
      Voices from the Stone Age; a Search for Cave and Canyon art

      The Vikings (1980) by James Graham-Campbell & Dafydd Kidd   http://www.amazon.com/Vikings-James-Graham-Campbell/dp/0688036031

      Megaliths, Myths and Men-an introduction to Astro-Archaeology (1976) by Peter Lancaster Brown jacket: http://www.amazon.com/Megaliths-Myths-Men-Introduction-Astro-Archaeology/dp/0486411451

      Ancient Mines of Kitchi-Gummi-Cypriot/Minoan Traders in North America (2nd ed. 2004) by Roger Jewell (Pennsylvania) Roger attended our AWS mini symposium at a resort along Lake Superior 2008) More about his book on his web site: http://www.jewellhistories.com/

      Rock Art Pieces from Burrows' Cave in Southern Illinois, Vol I (1992) by member, Prof. James P. Scherz, University of Wisconsin-Madison Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engineering) & Russell E. Burrows

      The Mystery Cave of Many Faces - A History of Burrow's Cave (1991) by Russell Burrows & Fred Rydholm

      (more info: http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Cave-Many-Faces-Burrows/dp/B0006EZ6MC )

      Man and Impact in the Americas (2005 ed.) by E. P. Grondine ( http://www.amazon.com/Man-Impact-Americas-Grondine-P/dp/0977615200 )

      CANADA'S STONEHENGE-Astounding Archaeological Discoveries in Canada, England, and Wales (2009, hard cover) by Dr. Gordon R. Freeman (Alberta) Dr. Freeman has written to members of this group, relayed messages to Post.

      Here is web site w/6 minute You Tube interview of Freeman: http://canadastonehenge.com/

      (Judi and Valdimar-you might take a glance at a 2009 note in the following Canada's Stonehenge discussion forum addressed to Gordon about a 500# rock found on a farm near the research site up there.  No stone holes described, but grooves):  http://canadastonehenge.com/2009/05/gordon-freeman-discusses-canadas-stonehenge/

      The Lost Pyramids of Rock Lake (1992) by Frank Joseph:  http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Pyramids-Rock-Lake-Civilization/dp/188009004X

      Atlantis in Wisconsin - New Revelations about Lost Sunken City (1995) by Frank Joseph :   http://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Wisconsin-Revelations-About-Sunken/dp/1880090120

      ATLANTIS-Insights from a Lost Civilization (1997) by Shirley Andrews, an accessible correspondent.  http://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Insights-Civilization-Shirley-Andrews/dp/156718023X

      The Hooked X: Key to the Secret of North America (2009) by Scott Wolter   who spoke two evenings for our Ancient Waterways mini conference at a Lake Superior resort near Copper Harbor, Michigan. Also main speaker at both Atlantic Conferences. Scott's book was the basis for recent History Channel documentaries.  At least four reviews from our membership: http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Secret-History-North-America/dp/0878393129

      compimentary copy to the AWS loaner library from member Dave Brody (Boston):

      Cabal of the Westford Knight:Templars at the Newport Tower (2009) also good rating and reviews from membership here: http://www.amazon.com/Cabal-Westford-Knight-Templars-Newport/dp/0977389871

      David's blog which lists letters, events, etc.: http://westfordknight.blogspot.com/

      America's Stonehenge: the Mystery Hill Story-From Ice Age to Stone Age (2003) by member David Goudsward w/Robert E. Stone & forward by Malcolm Pearson - complimentary copy sent to our group from David who also allows free Full Text access online @ http://books.google.com/ (type in title, then book title and look for books.google.com link. His web site: http://ancientstonesites.com/

      Two books sent to me/our group, compliments of a non-member AWS onlooker from Kentucky:

      Seven Mountains and the Red Star-Crossing the Dark Void in 2012-Understanding the Mayan Calendar and its Celestial Connections (2008) by Alan K. Cornette  (Jacket script): http://www.knps.org/images/al_%20cornettbook.jpg

      Sandstone Chronicles: Rock Art of the Red River Gorge, An Appalachian Journey (2005) by Alan K Cornette hardcover, 6 x 9 publication illustrating some petroglyphs in the Red River Gorge, in Kentucky, embellished with historical sketches involving the Maya, Columbus, the Chinese, and others connected with the settlement of the New World.

      just arrived here, yet unopened.  my copy.  Available soon as I read it):

      Carrying the Chalice Forward & Other Secret Stories of North America (/Dec. 2010) by Martin Carriere & arranged by Stanley St. Clair (both AWS members):

      Carrying the Chalice Forward and Other Secret Stories of North America by Martin Carriere, Bois Brule/Metis. These stories are an introduction to the hiddens tales of the journeys of our families woven through the sacred havens and bloodlines of the earth. We have arrived in this present age awakening to the dream of reforming the life and balance of the earth in accord with our unending alliance with the families of the creator. We collectively are the protectors and guardians of the balance of life on earth. Our desire is to share some of the learning and experiences of our worldwide family during our sojourns in different parts of the indigenous and non-indigenous world.

      The transformative and empowering stories and words may help those who desire more than what has been offered by the current stewards of the world economies and territories. The stories are about remembering that the creator is not man and that our individual paths are laid out before each of us; and that all we need do, to enter the truth of our heart, is to ask the right questions.

      The question of who we are and what we are responsible for in this world is the beginning of learning of our own divine accountability for all that we experience and do within creation. Creating true peace means embracing the balance and harmony of the earth hand in hand with the true people who are the guardians and protectors of life and peace the world over.

          loaner DVDs

       Atlantic Conference-2008 (6-DVD Set)
       St. Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia (Aug. 15-17, 2008).
       Overview by AWS member Terry Deveau (Nova Scotia) who led 5 days of post-conference field trips to ancient sites of Nova Scotia following the conference:  http://www.atlanticconference.org/AtlanticConference-2/08overview.htm

      This conference in Nova Scotia I was privileged to assist with on site, then followed tour leader and AWS member from the province, Terry Deveau.  The conference in Canada with international participants still endures in my heart and still so meaningful I want to take time to list each tape's speakers, plus random web links to further identify participants or their work.

      Tape 1 Intro by M.C. Steve St. Clair
      1. Dr. Gunnar Thompson http://www.gunnarthompson.com/

      2. Dr. Romeo Hristov (AWS member) http://www.unm.edu/~rhristov/

      Tape 2
      1. Scott Wolter -Kensington Runestone
      ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHtFfJNZsk) History Channel Documentary -The Hooked X-Holy Grail in North America- YouTube Pts. 1-9. from "Scott Wolter and The Hooked X Enigma Facebook group"

      Tape 3
      1. Dr. Benjamin Olshin (2009 on-line Atlantic Conference talk): http://www.atlanticconference.org/2009/bioBenjamin.html
      2. Martin Carriere (AWS member)  see above for biography.  Also newly released book.

      Tape 4
      Diane Wirth ( http://www.stonecliffpublishing.com/about.htm )  see biographies above for both

      Tape 5  Intro
      Michael Thrasher (this link is from his 2009 online conference talk) Slide show: http://www.slideshare.net/atlanticconference09/michael-thrasher-2168925

      Tape 6
      Opening-Dr. J. Colin Dodds, St. Mary's University president
      Blessing-Steve Augustine - Mi'kmaq teaching
      The Sword of Peace & Native Blessing
      Mark Sinclair Stavely
      Peter Millikin (House of Commons)
      Niven Sinclair talk (images: http://www.stonecliffpublishing.com/about.htm
      I don't know if the Sinclairs like this you tube if a Nat. Geo. interview, but I am a DaVinci Code fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE9XI2ndUvc
      Dr. Donald M. Julien-Confederacy of Mainland Mi'kmaq ( http://www.cmmns.com/DonJulien.php )
      Steve St. Clair talk-The St. Clair/Sinclair DNA Study http://www.stclairresearch.com/content/faq.html
       (I bought the 6-DVD set via Steve St. Clair at The Atlantic Conference. You may borrow it, keep mine if you like it and send me a check, or order via this link: http://atlanticconference.org/thoughts.html
      Democracy - A mi'kmaq perspective (3 DVD's for giveaway) . Or order directly; two years ago Moira sent severfal copies, postage included.  Moira MacLeodmacleoml@...
       Democracy 250: A Mi'kmaq Perspective, was commissioned as part of celebrations marking the 250th anniversary of the birth of parliamentary democracy in Canada.
      During the hour-long film, shot at Mersey Lodge, near Milton, Queens Co., Democracy 250 co-chairs John Hamm and Russell MacLellan discuss Mi'kmaq history, culture and hopes for the future with Mi'kmaq participants Dan Paul, Cathy Martin, Ashley Julien and Jamie Battiste. The film also explores the sophisticated government Nova Scotia's aboriginal community had before the arrival of European settlers.
      JoLeProduction DVD's & Scherz research papers
      Again, I ask that these and Dr. James Scherz' articles also be viewed and shown to others,  but not copied because of their great time and costs in creating and producing.  If you decide to keep a copy, you may purchase the ones in the loaner box by sending me a check at the rate stated on web site or papers (Jim charges for cost of printing only).  I pay postage and  will  re-purchase the DVD's, articles, books  for our loaner library via the authors/producers (all AWS members)
      1. Let Me Not Drown on the Waters: Fred Rydholm Michigan's "Mr. Copper"
      2 .Eyes That Look at the Sky: The Mystery of Easter Island
      3. Good Water Good Roads: The Life of Verne Spratt
      4. The Moundbuilders (2 copies)-excellent DVD
      5. The Serpent Fort (Solving the Mystery of Fort Mountain, Georgia)
      6. Tunnel of Time (A Tribute to Marion Dahm)-22 minutes
      7. Wales History in Bondage
      8. Tell City-The First Fifty Years
      9. Secret of the Stones (the quest for the mysterious Andean Viracocha)
      10. Eyes that Look at the Sky: The Mystery of Easter Island
      Papers by AWS member, Dr. James P. Scherz
      Prof. Emeritus
      Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering
      (Surveying and Mapping Section)
      University of Wisconsin
      Madison, WI
      1.  Old WATER LEVELS & WATERWAYS During the Ancient Copper Mining Era (about 3000 BC-1000 BC (July, '99) 24 pages

      2.  Prehistoric Geometrical-Based Art Work on the Ground: WISCONSIN'S EFFIGY MOUNDS (Oct., 1991)  34 pages

      3.  Progress Report DETAILED HYDROGRAPHIC MAP of ROCK LAKE, Jefferson County, Wisconsin (October, 1999) 20 pages

      4.  Fred Kingman's ROMAN-STYLE COINS - Reportedly Found Along the Wisconsin River in the 1970's (May, 1994)

      5.  "The Mystery Cave",  by Russell E. Burrows Retired armhy officer, Fellolw of Institute for Study of Ancient Cultures (ISAC) and Midwest Epigraphic Society (MES)  and James P. Scherz, PhD, Professor Emeritus....  Modified from a paper prepared for the 10th Annual International Forum on New Science October 21-24, 1999, Fort Collins, Colorado

      Susan  a co-host

    • james m clark jr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
        I for one, enjoy reading your post Susan as I am
        sure that most at AWS do as well it sort of re-
        minds me of my favorite fishing hole in Jullitte
        Georgia near the Whistle Stop Cafe that I haven't
        been to in awhile. Although fishing is ok at times
        and it's not as beautiful as it was before the flood
        of of 94 and I haven't started a not for profit org
        regarding Native artifacts, I hope I'll still have
        time to save some soft shell turtles that literal try
        climb the dam wall of the dam after the rainy season
        when the water is low and channel is more than likey
        impenetrable by the time they migrate up river.

        I guess my point is somewhat like Oz stated recently,
        as far "group" or society for that matter some of these
        terms, with all the travel, adventure, meetings, con-
        ferences, members, many professional and educated
        technical terms, some people may think... Ok these guys
        are for real. But to be honest I am not a member of any
        of that except this newsgroup. If anything that is expect-
        ed of me that isn't me regardless of how one who choses
        to spend their personal time isn't a landlock situation.
        As one professional told me years ago blah blah blah I
        couldn't believe it! Did that just come from your mouth,
        I thought. Even today it's still somewhat hard to grasp,
        but we are, or at least I try to be a people person and
        that is perhaps one of the best professional methods that
        has helped science progress in the last decade, in the right direction thanks to people like you. How many of you have
        been a cult victim and a volenteer to help such victims.
        I don't know to may Doctors that could explain how to do
        that, I have and luck had nothing to with it. Most of what
        I know I have educated myself by the people I admire or learn
        to admire.

        be well,

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011

          Thank you for appreciating my correspondences here, Jamey, and I am glad that you are part of this group.  My posts tend to get a bit long, occasionally mindless drivel and 'cheerleeding' and I appreciate folks' tolerance here about that.  As much as possible,though, and because this is a group I try to stay on-task with the main, though broad-range interests and purposed of this group, as suggested in the first two or three posts by MinnesotaStan from our beginnings

          I do not see Ancient Waterways Society as a blog site,  and find it best to remember that the majority of members still recieve "Individual Posts" where every post goes into their mailboxes.  Thirty-three have come in so far the past few days, and during such times, it is best if strictly 1:1 messages and personal off-topic conversations be kept to a minimum, or engaged in off-line.  Many members, too, are on Facebook and that is another excellent way to exchange personal conversations or chat. Many new members joined the site the past year...a few I understand (from emails to myself) to be new to many of the vast areas of research and discussion brought up by those posting at this site.  So I try to be sensitive and clear in my correspondence here. Our membership includes those where English is not their first language; there are cultural diffusionists as well as archaelogists and others from academics field, members from the UK and other parts of the world, folks of many religions (or none), political systems, and at least one Mason.

          When each member joins, they are sent a welcome letter which includes suggestions that they read the first two or three posts written by host and site designer MinnesotaStan.  I don't want to discourage Posts or discussion here, only to suggest more consideration as to what we are sending to the now-83, very diverse members of this Ancient Waterways Society.

          Thank you Jamey and all for your Posts, expressions, and the files and notes added to group files. No one need feel offended here.  With the huge number of posts that have come in, plus a couple of emails my way with members feeling overwhelmed trying to keep up with the personal conversations, and politiks.....I believe it best to bring these matters up.

          Keep emailing me if more of you want loaner books, tapes.  This group, your efforts, and the synergy of group interactions are important to me and I always try to set aside money for postage, from my end.  Plus the purchase of other books.  Judi Rudebusch....let me know if you want anything besides the DeJong-Wakefield books that Jay donated.  In conversation with him yesterday, I told him perhaps Frode or Valdimar might like the books after Judi reads them.  He is always happy to receive reviews from readers.

          I am grateful to each of you for your membership here and wish you all a healthy, happy 2011.    Susan

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2011
            And just an additonal reminder. Althought this is a moderated newsgroup it is publically listed and topics can be found on Goggle Ixquick or any other server by nonmembers of AWS.

            be well,