Welcome new member

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2010
      Welcome to the new member with screen name recovery7@...

      If no Yahoo profile information is available, the host/co-hosts here often cannot tell by a screen name alone whether or not a new member is legitimate or a Spamme....and, as you all know, we get a few of the latter.  If any of our newcomers (or existing members) would like a welcome letter emailed to you, please email me a brief message, or, feel free to post an introduction directly to the group.  The letter has a few helpful suggestions and lists a number of Ancient Waterways members who are OK about sharing their general geographical locations (or nearest ancient waterway), personal or research interests/links, conferences and groups  related to old or ancient global waterways, navigation, intercontinental diffusion, etc.

      I see someone has posted a 1 New Link , but I've not yet located it.  Thanks to the sendor.  We'd appreciate a post as to the title of the new submission.

      I received the following yesterday about upcoming conferences in Germany titled "Four Researchers Who Forever Changed the World of the Pyramids" that will probably be presenting in other areas of the world:

      Included are two researchers known by a number of members here.  The first is Christopher Dunn from Illiniois (and Manchester, England) whose expertise on ancient machining is unparalled and puts him frequently within television documentaries.  His web site is:  http://www.gizapower.com/  (Click "Lost Technologies of Ancient Egypt" YouTube bottom of the page) Chris drove over to speak at the 2008 MIdwestern Epigraphic/AAPS/THOR conference in N. Ohio.  Several AWS members attended or were active participants in the conference.

      Another of the four researchers is DR. SAM OSMANAGICH (Bosnia-Herzegovina)  who has traveled from Bosnia to Marquette, Michigan at least twice to speak at the annual Ancient Artifact Preservation Society/AAPS conferences.  A number of AAPS board members and friends will be traveling to Bosnia to work with Dr. Osmanagich this spring.  (Rick, are you among those flying over there?)  AAPS secretary Judy Johnson recently sent the following 12/04/10 note about the research team's latest development and possiblities for our friends traveling there:

       Dear colleague,

      Six years after our archaeological work started in uderground labyrinth, we finally made a breakthrough: we discovered an open tunnel section that goes for hundreds of meters in direction of the Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun... It will save us years of hard work.

      Best regards,

      Dr.sci. Sam Semir Osmanagich
      Foreign Member of the Russian
      Academy of Natural Sciences
      www.samosmanagich.com

      Again, welcome to all of the new members who joined this month.  Please feel free to introduce yourselves. This group would enjoy hearing about ancient and early historic navigation and diffusion via waterways and archaelogical sites located in your parts of the world, your related interests.  And please let us know of upcoming movies, TV documentaries, field trips, meetings, and conferences and whether you will be attending and/or speaking or participating.  Perhaps with advanced notice, some of us might link up with a few other members at one or more events in 2011.

      To all who have contributed posts, links, been supportive of other members' efforts here the past year, we extend our appreciation.

      Respectfully, from one of the co-hosts
      M. Susan English
      A follower of the Sound Healers Association,  I include here a bit of 'water music' from a favorite overtones composer, David Hykes, during the closing ceremony of the Hudson River Pageant Boat Dance & Harmonic Chant Concert last yea---an effort to restore the Hudson River:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jik2Syak3Y0
    • Vince
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2010
        Susan;
        The new link for the group is to a National Geographic Article in this month's issue about Cahokia Mounds. The link is located in the group files at the following location:

        National Geographic has captured the current state of archaeologist's view of Cahokia Mounds. It is a nice follow up to Steve's correspondence on the Cahokia Site.

        "perhaps it's this cognitive dissonance that has led us to collectively ignore Cahokia's very existence."

        Vince

> [...]
        > ancient and early historic navigation and diffusion via waterways and
        > archaelogical sites located in your parts of the world, your related
        > interests. And please let us know of upcoming movies, TV documentaries,
        > field trips, meetings, and conferences and whether you will be attending
        > and/or speaking or participating. Perhaps with advanced notice, some of
        > us might link up with a few other members at one or more events in 2011.
        > To all who have contributed posts, links, been supportive of other
        > members' efforts here the past year, we extend our appreciation.
        >
        > Respectfully, from one of the co-hosts
        > M. Susan English A follower of the Sound Healers Association, I
        > include here a bit of 'water music' from a favorite overtones composer,
        > David Hykes, during the closing ceremony of the Hudson River Pageant
        > Boat Dance & Harmonic Chant Concert last yea---an effort to restore the

      • Rick O
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 30, 2010
          Susan,

          Almost missed your question. Unfortunately, no, I wil not be joining the group going to Bosnia. At least not this time. I already have my travel budget allocated for 2011 - that rotating fund currently stands at a bout 3 cents a day for the year.

          However, even if I have to hitch hike and sleep on the ground, I will be joining the upcoming (date TBA) expedition to Rock Lake, meet Steve S, tour the Aztlan Museum, etc. I'll searching for some different pyramids.

          I am also committed to attending the Ripley's Believe It or Not 24 Hour Bash in St. Augustine in April.

          I will most likely attend AAPS in Marquette (September)  and the Burlington (WI) Vortex Conference Halloween weekend. And a couple meetings of the Ancient Kentucke Historical Association (each of those is a single tank of gas).

          Lastly, of the known and or planned and or hoped for, and or somebody-please-send-me trips are attendance to SanDiego, Orlando, and NYC Comicon. And, yes, those are also business trips, kinda sorta, due to my and our network's new affiliation with InvestComicsTV TM. ICTV is a 15 minute (or so) weekly interview show with creators, mostly, but also fans and critics, of comic book and daily comic industry. Of course, nowadays, that extends to major motion motion pictures, theme parks, games, books, clothing, lunchboxes, etc.

          Long answer for a simple question.

          Oz

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 30, 2010
            Thursday, Dec. 30, 20102 Comments
            'America's Lost City': Cahokia Mounds featured in National Geographic
            BY ELIZABETH DONALD - News-Democrat
            Buzz up!
            E-Mail
            Print
            Reprint or license

            Text Size: tool nameclose
            tool goes here
            COLLINSVILLE -- Cahokia Mounds is international news again, nearly 40 years after its last appearance in National Geographic.

            The January issue of the venerable magazine features an extensive article on Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site and the long-vanished civilization that created the largest man-made prehistoric structures north of Mexico.

            Assistant site manager Bill Iseminger said the article was in the works for about a year and that it had been a while since the site's last National Geographic feature -- in 1972.

            Cahokia Mounds is in this issue of National Geographic, and even rates a mention on the top left of the cover.
            "We worked with the writers and the photographers throughout the year and had several opportunities to review what had been written for fact-checking," Iseminger said. "We're glad to finally see it happen. It was fantastic photography and the people who did the illustrations and maps had a good feeling for what was there."

            Titled "America's Lost City," the article goes into great detail about the 2,200-acre historic site, the largest archaeological site in the U.S. and its history as the home of the ancient Mississippians. National Geographic goes into equally strong detail about the history of the mounds once Westerners arrived, including mounds being bulldozed for soil fill and the salvage archaeology conducted before Interstate 55-70 came through -- and the current projects at the site of the new Mississippi River bridge project.

            But the article is not wholly complimentary. It refers to Collinsville Road as "the four lane-gash that cuts through this historic site" and criticizes "relentless development of the 20th century" and the toll it took on Cahokia. Writer Glenn Hodges states that "I keep returning to the fact that Cahokia Mounds in Illinois is one of only eight cultural World Heritage sites in the United States, and it's got a billboard for Joe's Carpet King smack in the middle of it."

            Iseminger said they tried to get National Geographic to remove that section. "That was probably the one thing we had the most concerns about," he said. "But they didn't accept our critique on that."

            Still, Iseminger said they've already started to see an increased interest in the site as the magazine hit newsstands. Officials hope that the increased attention on Cahokia Mounds will drive up visitors this year, as the site continues its archaeological program of the last several years. Iseminger said they will excavate more of the palisade wall on the northeast side of Monks Mound, continue examination of Mound 34 where a copper workshop was located, and a University of Illinois student will look at the Rattlesnake Mound on the southern edge.

            All of it is to increase the knowledge of this long-vanished culture, Iseminger said -- and one of the greatest mysteries, also detailed in National Geographic, is the cause of the Mississippians' disappearance, often a subject for academic debate.

            Hodges' article detailed his search for Big Mound, a vanished mound in St. Louis, and finally found a cobblestone marker on Broadway in St. Louis. He called it "a forgotten memorial for the forgotten mound of the forgotten people who once lived here."

            But the Cahokia mounds that remain are still open even in the wintertime. Visitors can learn about the Mississippians and the lost city of Cahokia Wednesdays through Sundays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. -- expanding to 5 p.m. beginning in February. Cahokia Mounds will be closed New Year's Day. Admission is free, though donations are suggested.

            Contact reporter Elizabeth Donald at edonald@... or 239-2501.

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Vince" <v_barrows@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > ancient and early historic navigation and diffusion via waterways and
            > > archaelogical sites located in your parts of the world, your related
            > > interests. And please let us know of upcoming movies, TV documentaries,
            > > field trips, meetings, and conferences and whether you will be attending
            > > and/or speaking or participating. Perhaps with advanced notice, some of
            > > us might link up with a few other members at one or more events in 2011.
            > > To all who have contributed posts, links, been supportive of other
            > > members' efforts here the past year, we extend our appreciation.
            > >
            > > Respectfully, from one of the co-hosts
            > > M. Susan English A follower of the Sound Healers Association, I
            > > include here a bit of 'water music' from a favorite overtones composer,
            > > David Hykes, during the closing ceremony of the Hudson River Pageant
            > > Boat Dance & Harmonic Chant Concert last yea---an effort to restore the

          • james m clark jr
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 30, 2010
              Hey Oz,

              What's going on in the Orlando area?

              If it has anything to do with science or Native America perhaps I could pull some stings on my Irish side of the family who may still own the private airport between Orlando & Daytona. My uncle that paints private jets and high dollar vehicles hopefully may need some assistance as far as hiring private contractors for the airstrip and hangers etc. I've never painted an airstrip, but I've been all over the U.S painting parking lots. I would piratically do this for free regarding airfare prices for Native Americans. The Bus route, is quit humiliating at times. You are right though, the people do come first.

              be well,
              jamey

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 31, 2010
                Rick,
                Your mention of an upcoming group tour of Aztalan with member Steve Steigerwald is the first I have heard of it; must be with another group.  If the event is an open one, perhaps you might Post specific details in advance and maybe a few from this group will want to attend.
                For new members here, Steve S. is webmaster of the Aztalan Mounds State Park located a mile or two from Lake Mills, Wisconsin (17 miles east of the state capital of Madison). The books Pyramids of Rock Lake and Atlantis in Wisconsin based from that area's ancient sites and legends.  I spent a great deal of time down there a decade or so ago.

                Vince
                Thank you for adding the Cahokia Mounds article by Glenn Hodges ("American's Forgotton City") from the January, 2011 issue of National Geographic to the Mound Builders Sites Link.  I appreciate the author's straight-forwardness and that the first sentence reads, "If they ever build a Wal-Mart at Machu Picchu, I will think of Collinsille Road"

                Also very interesting is the inscribed stone left side of the first page...looks similar to stones from the alleged cave near the Embarrass & Wabash Rivers in Southern Illinois.
                Stone Tablet
                Steve Steigerwald is an excellent person to lead a fine tour of the Aztalan Mounds and Museum, as would you be of the Cahokia Mounds, Vince.   If you would welcome tag-alongs, please let this group know sometime if planning to spend time at Cahokia during a future trip home to St. Louis, Missouri. Maybe one or a few members would beable to make a trip to Missouri.

                Thanks, Frode for posting the pre-holiday chuckle, from Norway.  Please update us sometime on current work, schooling, etc.

                Good hearing from you again, Jeff ( quarefremeru... ).  I like your choice of a photo and am still trying to guess your approximate locality..." N. of Lat. 1 deg." , also located on your Yahoogroup Profile page.

                Lonnie Clark, I greatly appreciated your introduction (Post #1962), artistic interests & web site, and how you got interested in ancient history.   Thanks for the generous open invitation to this group:
                 I'm not too far from the location of the rumored Egyptian relics found by G.E.Kincaid  http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_orionzone_9.htm, so if any of my fellow list members want to drop by and go hiking in the Grand Canyon....
                Susan

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 31, 2010
                  Hi Jamey,

                  The event in Orlando is called MegaCon. It's the central Florida equivalent of San Diego's ComiCon. It would be difficult to justify it as anything but a commercial venture. Although, from an anthropological perspective, it is a very interesting cultural phenomenon, equivalent to a mass pilgrimage to worship a pantheon of superpowered gods, including larger than life statues, costumed revelers, iconic statuettes, etc. It serves to underscore my contention that far future archeologists will find in central Florida and in southern California (and Japan and France)  identical material cultures that worshiped stylized mice. Of course, this will be considered "parallel development" because no culture of the period could possibly have developed trade or diffusion over such vast distances.

                  There is one, very minor connection from comics conventions  to Native Americans: A smart and very attractive young lady named Andrea Grant  has been awarded a sum of money from the Canadian government to develop a short series of graphic novels (extended length, monochrome comic books) to portray aspects of first nations culture in present day adventure form. More power to Andrea.

                  Regarding the field between Orlando and Daytona, has to be at or close to Sanford / Stetson, one of the premier civil aviation education areas of the world (after Purdue, ahem).

                  Oz

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 31, 2010
                    Hi Susan,

                    Well, the upcoming Rock Lake expedition is not so much a group activity as it is a revisit. Frank Joseph, Mary Sutherland, and a couple other folks spotted one of the submerged structures on underwater video last spring. On the upcoming outing, with luck, we'll get recorded video of the same feature (in their excitement, nobody pushed the big red button). I hope to go along to document the trip as well as the find. I own the perfect boat for such an outing, but it's too big to trailer up there and the engine is on the fritz right now, so we're looking to another small group of investigators who are equipped for it.

                    However, a group tour with Steve at the museum and surrounds would be a worthy activity if we could coordinate it. Something like the outing to Eagle Harbor a couple years ago...before the total economic meltdown. If it could coincide with the Rock Lake trip... well, several of us have new info to convey much as we did in Michigan (hint to Vince). I'm confident Mary would be interested in hosting the presentations at her cafe in Burlington.

                    Failing organizing for Burlington or Lake Mills, perhaps we could set up something for here, as we've discussed in the past. We're about due for another get together. The waterways and natural resources here are of great significance to understanding the ancient population movements. And the hill I'm on was one of several sites in an integrated line-of-sight communications array across present day southern Indiana from the Ohio river at Louisville / Jeffersonville to Merom on the Wabash. A span of about 150 miles overland, but almost 350 miles by river.

                    Oz

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 31, 2010

                      Another new Link was added.  It seems to be a YahooGroup flaw, but does anyone know how to readily find new files without having to do a lot of digging?  Clicking  2 New Links  give us this: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ancient_waterways_society/links, hence why it is best that folks Post when adding items to the main Links, etc.

                      Rick and All,

                      Re: your upcoming expedition and exploration of Rock Lake,  I am going to throw a few more links your way, and to the group to clarify the persons you mentioned.

                      A member here whose research this group was basically named after that many of you know is retired professor, Dr. Jim Scherz, who was or is the head researcher for the Rock Lake Research Society which was active during the 1980's: http://www.rocklakeresearch.com/team.htm

                      Members from that area of Wisconsin: Steve Steigerwald, Dave Weier, or Larry Johns (who gave an excellent tour of sacred sites and effigy mounds in Madison, Wisconsin a few years back) may know more about whether that group or individual members are still active in their investigations of the Rock Lake anomalies.

                      Frank Joseph mentioned in the posts is the author of Lost Pyramids of Rock Lake and Atlantis in Wisconsin which is part of our Ancient Waterways Society loaner library.  Anyone looking for 'winter reading', feel free to email this group or me and I will send it to you Media Mail.  You may then send it to the next person who contacts you, me, or via a Post; just so I have an idea where the books are and that they eventually get returned to my address.  Judi Rudebusch emailed me a request this week after researcher Jay Wakefield was mentioned.  Jay generously donated to me/our group two of the books he co-authored with author Dr. Reinoud M. DeJong:

                      How the Sungod Reached America c. 2500 B. C. -A Guide to Megalithic Sites:

                      Rocks and Rows, Sailing Routs Across the Atlantic and the Copper Trade
                      A Study of Bronze Age Petroglyphs, Stone Circle and Row Monuments (I see reviews from a couple of our members): http://www.rocksandrows.com/

                      Something I ran across awhile back I've not brought up before is from a diving group planning an investigation of Rock Lake a few years ago...I've never heard this before, nor of course can verify it, but this may be worth looking into:
                      ....Rock Lake, and its central key stuctures, lies at a most unusual location. IF one uses the Great Pyramid of Giza as the Prime Meridian as many ancient cultures did, Rock Lake lies at 90 degrees lat, AND, if one figures the age of the Indian myths (the books go into greater detail), it would place its construction at the time in which the north pole was located within the Hudson bay, giving Rock Lake a long of 72 degrees. Rock Lake is a geographical marker, 1/3 distance around the globe lat, 1/5 distance around the globe long.

                      These findings were verified by someone whom I contacted and interviewed for ATS a couple years back, author Rand Flem-Ath, proponent of the gloabl crust displacement theory....
                      http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread321950/pg1
                      Rick also mentioned working with  Mary Sutherland and Burlington, Wisconsin.  She is a recent Facebook Friend and I do need to spend a weekend down there at the Burlington Mounds (and do some serious networking at the eclectic cafe downtown).  This site has many links and gives an idea of the extensive work and outreach of Mary and her research groups.  Link includes their annual October conference which Rick and Frank have done presentations (Jenifer from Lower Michigan- take note of this for future reference): http://www.livinginthelightms.com/ancientwisconsin.html

                      I don't know if they have work-shares to waive conference fees, but that might be a fine place for members of this group to meet if you cannot make it to the annual September Ancient Artifact Preservation Society conferences in Marquette.  Rememer that my little house overlooking a Wisconsin River parkway is available for an overnight for members passing through C. Wisconsin (Wausau).   For those of you needing a visual of some of these areas in Wisconsin, member Brad Olson (San Francisco) has a helpful diagrammatic map in one of the books he has written and illustrated.  All of his books you may access online free via GoogleBooks.  From Sacred Places North America-108 Destinationshttp://books.google.com/books?id=l4hTCuby90IC&pg=PA282&lpg=PA282&dq=rock+lake+lake+mills,+wi+mysterious&source=bl&ots=QVjcL5DOs2&sig=3c_VcDYrGNg3xMypU0xahjXsk8w&hl=en&ei=0irRSo7TE4f-Maqu_JQD&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false
                      Table of Contents begins on P. 3, which you may type into the window or click Contents top of the page.

                      As I believe was more often than not the case among ancient, globally 'diffusing' peoples, there is too much of generosity of spirit, sharing, and opportunities that can happen within non-competitive, cooperative groups, and we are one.  I have never been to the Grand Canyon and would love someday to take up Lonnie Clark's offer for a tour.  Or join native Marti- iyeshkah from North Central Washington State at a flea market and perhaps visit to some of the beautiful sacred scenery her exquisite photography reveals: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyeshkah/  Maybe some of us will come together for a day or few down at Rick's in S. Indiana, or Aztalan, Cahokia w/Vince, or a tour of the Serpent Mound in Ohio with Ross Hamilton leading the way.

                      Happiness and prosperity to you all in 2011.....Susan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 31, 2010
                        Hey Susan, all,

                        I added the new link. It's one of those google books that was digitally decifered by the public through the goofy letter reconition
                        program every time we fill out registration forms, accounts, emails, etcetera. So far I've found to be rather enjoiable and it does seem to present to a degree an archaeological nature and other related sciences.

                        I listed the link as a TEMP link in the full text folder or "Online journals and texts". I've only read about 2 dozen pages and so far it seems to basically be a book on lingustics regarding the Celtic tounge that could be considered a Harvard classic now. So far I've found to be enjoiable and easy to read.

                        An essay on the Druids, the ancient churches and the round towers of Ireland pub.1873

                        http://books.google.com/books?id=DH4HAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Druids+ancient+churches,+round+towers+of+.&source=bl&ots=ddh0dDsG9u&sig=xmYivVIlGk7GYKNKKyqkxF3oH7s&hl=en&ei=TNQdTcf2F8innQeN-rChDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6

                        be well,

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 31, 2010
                          Also deleted The Danish History, Books I-IX in "Links" and added it to
                          the "Online journals and texts" Fulltext reference material FOLDER

                          be well,
                          jamey