THOR report

  • Pam Giese
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 7:33 PM
      Yesterday, we had an opportunity to view The Ohio Rock found by the Smiths back in 1977.  I have to say that having seen the rock as well as the model formed by the rock, the evidence is certainly compelling for its antiquity and its use as a sun dial.

      I posted a number of interesting sundial/geo-centric coordinate links on the group page.  The ancient polynesians had instruments to calculate both latitude and longitude.  Portable sundials would also provide latitude information to those travelling.  Ancient middle American sites largely used local sighting marks for alignments.  Similarly, the "fort" sites, serpent mound, and the discovery site of the Ohio Rock are situated on high bluffs with clear views and reference points.

      The ancient Ohio peoples, both the Adena and Hopewell, were a center of a large trading circuit that extended from the Atlantic seaboard to Canada and the Lake Superior region to Montana and Idaho.  Mound sites here are also thought to have been influenced or have been in commerce with groups in modern day Mexico.  If you're doing that sort of travel, knowing where you are  and how far you need to go is very important.  Could the sundial mold been used to facillitate this?

      [for those reading this as a cross-post, you can find out more about the Ohio Rock by visitng the Yahoo Groups website for Thor-thehunersohiorock]

      Many thanks to William and Gloria for their fine hospitality.

      Pam