Re: "Ancient Canals?"

  • bigalemc2
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 4, 2010
      Thanks, Ted.

      Speaking about all this, I thought folks here might be interested in something else ancient American.  I got an email this morning from Paul Chiasson, the author of "The Island of Seven Cities".  He wrote:
      The documentary, titled "Mysterious Ruins - Cape Breton", will air in Canada on History Television on Saturday, December 11, at 7:00pm.  For more information you can check their website, history.ca.
      He also sent a link for the trailer:
      http://www.myspace.com/video/496952816/mysterious-ruins-cape-breton-trailer/105485432
      I will check it out and find a way to watch it as soon as I can.

      ...I have my hand in several other things, so much that it gets in the way of making a living sometimes...

      I will check out the site your recommended.  It sounds familiar.

      And I am fairly familiar with the bits about the Amazon.  The book 1491 covers that nicely, and opens up wide vistas for inquiry.

      I think perhaps some of us lived former lives in some of the indigenous western hemisphere cultures and know intrinsically that the histories are simply untrue - and we want the truth to be known.

      But not everything we delve into is going to pan out.  Some will, and some won't.  Perhaps our memories are not 100% and we latch onto some ideas that ring a bell but aren't quite 100%.

      Also, I may have spoken a bit hastily about the canals.  We do still have one type we haven't figured out yet - the big wide long ones in Louisiana.  While it is possible they have a mundane explanation, that is not a done deal yet.  We are retrenching as I write this.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 5, 2010

        Before their posts get buried farther under the flood of recent posts, I want to thank co-host Vince Barrows (New Orleans), Ted Sojka (Iowa) , Jamey (Georgia?) and others here for the excellent comments/links and encouraging responses after the closing of the Ancient Canalbuilders web sites (which hopefully is temporary).  It is from my personal interest of global intent to hope the cooperative diffusionist research continues into ancient intra-continental canals, and also intercontinental canals and channels between the Americas and beyond.   I need to find time to explore some of the older data on ancient canals in the areas of S. Carolina, Arizona, Louisiana, etc. that Vince sent.  Vince's work as an engineer, and having not long ago relocated from the Cahokia area of Illinoios-Missouri to New Orleans, is a good candicate to do ground (swamp/bayou) work in liason with higher tech imagery on natural or man-made water routes in lieu of varying human and climate changes, weather disasters.  Thanks too, Vince for adding the Chapter VI article by Emil W. Haury under the Ancient Canal section of our Links page that you titled:  Snaketown - central Arizona prehistoric irrigation canals:    http://www.scribd.com/doc/44631409/Snaketown-Canal

        In my last Post re: Beothuks in Iceland, I sent an incorrect link to Paper No. The Last Expedition: The Kensington Runestone I mentioned w/photos of Icelandic boundary holestones, maps, etc, and links to more articles below some might dig for clues to more on the far regions of N. America..  The correct one: http://www.lastkings.com/paper2_3.3propertyboundarylines.htm   (bottom of the page articles)

        CONTENTS

        Susan

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows <v_barrows@...> wrote:

        > Steve and all;
        > It is correct that we moderns have constructed canals for purposes of draining
        > swamps, building pipelines, roadways, right of ways, property boundaries. The
        > following link includes some information about modern canal building. This
        > shows that the majority of mosquito drainage canals were built in the early
        > 1900s.
        >
        > http://www.coastalguide.com/IntraCoastalWaterway/SouthCarolinaCanals.shtml
        >
        > Rafinesque in 1838 wrote "But our monuments do not merely consist in such mounds
        > or tumuli, since we find besides in North America, ruins of cities, some of
        > which were walled with earth or even stones, real forts or citadels, temples and
        > altars of all shapes, but chiefly circular, square or polygonal, some
        > elliptical, hexagonal, octagonal, &c., quite regularly pointing to the cardinal
        > points. We have also traces of buildings, foundations, roads, avenues,
        > causeways, canals, bridges, dromes, or racecourses, pillars and pyramids, wells,
        > pits, arenas, &c. And of these not a few, but hundreds of them, many of which
        > are unsurveyed and undescribed as yet. "
        >
        > Some prehistoric humans constructed canals for architectural and
        > irrigation purposes. Gladwin discusses an archaeological site report from
        > Arizona that discusses Hohokam irrigation canals. These canals were built and
        > rebuilt in prehistoric times to irrigate arid desert farmland. William Morgan
        > also has published Prehistoric Architecture in the Eastern United States and
        > shows examples of canals and moats. His book uses survey data from 1830's
        > (Squier and Davis) to illustrate examples of mound sites with evidence of
        > manmade canals and waterscapes.
        >

        > Respectfully;
        > Vince
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Rick O
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 7, 2010
          This is going to be a bit of a hodge podge, but time simply refuses to
          let me be thorough or organized today.

          1. If I've accomplished nothing else with the Oopa Loopa Cafe, I'm proud
          to help guide folks like Lonni to this group. I'm working on Fritz
          Zimmerman.

          2. The cumulative evidence is leaning towards a very sophisticated water
          management knowledge and technology among ancient Americans, possibly to
          even include water wheels to do work (e.g., Puma Punto, Palenque, Machu
          Pichu). So canals / irrigation / drainage are far from eliminated as
          possible ancient works.

          3. Valdimar, glad you finally got here. We need your bird's eye view.

          4. An announcement: Mary Sutherland has discovered what may be a
          previously undocumented "snake" effigy near Burlington, WI. More as I
          get more, but this is pretty close to the site where the Vorhees plates
          were found and there was a thunderbird effigy nearby in historic times
          (still kind of sorta almost maybe a little visible in Google Earth).

          5. I seem to recall a specific mention of "grapes" in Leiffet Saga,
          someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Even during the Maunder Maximum,
          that would put Vinland no further north than about Nova Scotia and far
          more likely somewhere between Naragansett and Chesapeake (the latter
          being my own latitude).

          Enjoy. Keep the thinking caps spining

          Oz
          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"

          \

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 7, 2010
            The water irrigation canals at Machu Pichu are grand in design as are the ones that allowed raised bed gardening at tihuanaco.   The peach trees the Hopi had along the river were irrigated with canals until Kit Carson cut them down to force them out of their home area.  There is lots of canal work done in the Americas, just not those Jersey canals dug by dredge in the steam era and beyond.

            TS

            <beldingenglish@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > pyramids, wells,
            > > pits, arenas, &c. And of these not a few, but hundreds of them, many
            > of which
            > > are unsurveyed and undescribed as yet. "
            > >
            > > Some prehistoric humans constructed canals for architectural and
            > > irrigation purposes. Gladwin discusses an archaeological site report
            > from
            > > Arizona that discusses Hohokam irrigation canals. These canals were
            > built and
            > > rebuilt in prehistoric times to irrigate arid desert farmland.
            William
            > Morgan
            > > also has published Prehistoric Architecture in the Eastern United
            > States and
            > > shows examples of canals and moats. His book uses survey data from
            > 1830's
            > > (Squier and Davis) to illustrate examples of mound sites with

          • Richard Murray
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 7, 2010
              On 12/7/2010 1:20 PM, Ted Sojka wrote:
              Don't forget the elaborate water canals throughout the Phoenix, Arizona area.
              Richard

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 7, 2010
                --A hearty greeting to two more new members the last couple of days---Valdimar Samuelsson from Iceland, and R. Taylor (jenmaxryan) from Nova Scotia! We hope you will enjoy our group.

                --I'd joined NSExplore a few weeks prior to flying to the 2008 Atlantic Conference in Halifax, Nova Scotia, which several other AWS members attended.  Following the conference, Ancient Waterways member Terry Deveau led a five day tour to intriguing ancient sites along beautiful, rugged Nova Scotian mountains and shorelines.  Terry is an overseer of the excellent 300 member group.  Some here might recall...Terry, Vince, and I each had corresponded with Dr. Gordon Freeman (Alberta) just before the 2009 release of  Canada's Stonehenge-Astounding Archaeological Discoveries in Canada, England : http://www.google.com/search?q=canada%27s+stonehenge&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1 I7RNWN_en
                Freeman had relayed comments to our group a bit about their work
                at the possible 5000 year old site that he and his wife have been protecting on-site for decades from an old trailer while
                doing scientific research.  Has anyone heard of any recent developments there?

                Good hearing from you again, Steve Steigerwald (Aztalan Mounds webmaster)...and Richard Murray (Massachuetts).
                So many Posts have been submitted lately it has been difficult keeping track, but I think Vince sent a post mentioning the Hohokum Canals of Arizona. I found this interactive map site for the ancient (Phoenix area) Valley of the Sun : http://www.gemland.com/hohokam.htm

                --Thanks, Rick Osmon for 'plugging' this group.  Never having Thursday evenings off, two eye surgeries, and a malfunctioning computer, I'd not tuned into the Oopa Loopa Cafe radioblog for some time.  This group has not received a Post from you about program changes, the Oopa Loopa link I had no longer seemed active. Earlier today found your new live streaming video Oopa Loopa Cafe.  Is this the main link, Rick? This one hour interview from the end of August is with author  Robert J. Miller from the Lewis & Clark Law School in Portland, Oregon on "Manifest Destiny": http://www.livestream.com/oopaloopacafe  Keep us posted,  Rick, on times, dates (still Thursdays?), etc., especially pertaining to ancient navigation, waterways, etc.

                --Steve Garcia, great to see the Ancient Canal Builders in America web site back up:  http://www.ancientcanalbuilders.com/  Perhaps you will also re-establish the accompanying ACB commentary site you'd set up at Charles Bruns' suggestion.
                Maybe it could be put on the main Ancient Canal Builder site.

                Especially for the Canadian members here, with this Saturday coming up fast, I am including here a reminder about the documentary Steve Garcia told us about last week (Post #1951); he'd received an email w/link to video trailer from author, Paul Chiasson.   "Mysterious Ruins-Cape Breton" airs in Canada on the History Channel Saturday,  December 11th: http://www.myspace.com/video/496952816/mysterious-ruins-cape-breton-trailer/105485432

                With over forty incoming posts the past week, if any of you are feeling overwhelmed at the number coming in, you may make changes in how you receive (or do not receive) Posts to your mailbox.... ...by clicking Members , then Edit Membership to:
                "Daily Digest"---all messages for the day go to your emailbox in a single email rather than "Individual Emails".  Or, come of you may prefer "No Emails" or "Special Notices Only". Using the latter two options, members will need to click into the site regularly to read Posts.  Please, too,  make corrections to your membership if your email address changes.

                Susan, a co-host