Harpers Ferry Iowa photos

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 14, 2010

      If the Harper's Ferry photos are not showing up within Ted's Post (#1893), let him know and he can send you and email or insert it in our Photos or Files section.  Not sure if they will show up scanned (below). Ted, is that you in the kayak (lower photo?)  Good clear photo on your post today, Chris.

      I am still computerless, one hour daily time limits when accessing the library, if any are available.  Thanks Stan and Vince for monitoring the site in my absence.  I shall be having two not very serious eye surgeries within the next few weeks, with restricted driving and computer access.

      Thanks for recent posts and emails from members here.      Susan

      To the right of the three story condo are the last of 5 native burial mounds along the Mississippi River Bank, and several
      early settlers graves including one who ran the ferry here across to Wisconsin.   It is a few miles across to the other side,
      but the river was flooding when we went over the islands to the opposite shore and back.

      There were over 1200 mounds recorded here in 1888, and you see teh town below that this was built on.  The old river
      channel cuts West in the photo and bathes the shoreline covered with several streets of houses that run North and South.

      Imagine plowing up a cemetery from antiquity in Europe to build homes and cabins in the space?  The coulee region of
      Wisconsin occupies the opposite shore to the Northeast.

      Ted Sojka

      Still the best way to see the river is the "personal ferry" method when the river goes over its banks and islands, providing
      a direct route across this maze of channels, sloughs, and lakes.    Eagle abound from all the dead trees between the
      banks of the river.   One does get the sense of being on the ancient waterway as all the new additions like docks and
      ramps, and roads are underwater.

      [ancient_waterways_society] Harpers Ferry Iowa
      Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:38 AM