Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Pygmies in North America?

  • charles bruns
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2010
      While there are many wonders to modern archaeology (laser, metal detector, submersible robots, computer research, etc.), I believe you should go to the spot and dig in the dirt.  Often established authority wants a giant 'Do Not Disturb' sign and is complacently satisfied with what the state college poured in their ear thirty years ago.
      Has anyone researched where this fellow's farm was way back when?  Folks should be able to determine the validity of a claim like this if it is anywhere near the size stated and not a Walmart parking lot presently.  Newsmen then did invent stories to boost distribution, but Stan had two references far enough apart (temporally and physically) to possibly not be connected and if so a good reason for further inquiry.  Go for the one with the most fixed position.  America needs more 'little people' to go with the giants.  chb

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2010
        Hi Stan,

        Both old news hounds and the native traditions were fond of this theme.
        Barry Fell once chased it to ground at the Smithsonian and supposedly
        found some of the remains in the ostuary stacks there. I have been
        trying to get his notes, without success. Some material exists on line
        relating to his findings.

        Nutshell version: mainstream says the skeletons were those of seven year
        old children(roughly eleven thousand described). Fell found tooth wear
        and joint disease more consistent with 50 year olds.

        Pukwudjinee is the Ojibwah and Ho 'Chunck name for these diminutive
        folks. Piankishaw, Potawatamee / Miami and other Algonquin names are
        very similar.

        Oz

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, minnesotastan@...
        wrote:

> [...]
        > or the nation to which they belonged. Similar burying grounds have
        been
        > found in Tennessee, and near St. Louis in Missouri."
        > – The American Journal of Science and Arts, January 1837
        >
        > The press in the 19th century was often susceptible to hoaxes
        (including
        > self-generated ones for publicity). And archaeological material has
        > often been misinterpreted by lay persons or inexperienced scientists.
        > frankly can't imagine 75,000 burials, even of normal bodies. Has
        anyone
        > heard of these "little people" discoveries before? Any information
        > about followup reports or debunking? If they had been validated, I
        > would think we would know more about them today. But perhaps the
        > material was lost and nobody ever tried to followup on the findings.

      • Ross Hamilton
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2010
          When we did our research on the giants for A Tradition of Giants (which you can pick-up from Ancient American Magazine) we found those two quotes but also found one from John Smith who was first to meet and describe the very tall Susquehanna People. If I recall correctly, Smith said that there were about 5,000 people in the general region around Jamestown and that some were very tall like the Susquehanna, but that some were very small like the Wikokomocos. Not sure of the spelling.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 2010
            The little people were the friends of Quetzlcoatl and were very prominent in the od stories of the growth of the ages of civilization. Many pictures of our ancestors and even those of the old french come up to about 4 1/2 feet or more.

            Best to all,

            MC

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2010

              At least a dozen members here the past couple of years seem to be interested in and have posted about the legendary "Little People",   Puk-Wud-Jies,  Puk Wujinees, and other various names from ancient tribal peoples living along old Great Lakes & Mississippi Riverways.  From the post below are several more messages from a year ago on the subject.

              Still without  a computer, I have time limits on the library computer but recall an article posted to our site about burial remains of very small adult human skeletons found a century or so ago and caused quite a stir, but soon afterward dismissed by 'authorities' as merely having been been remains left behind by a traveling circus.

              Thanks to all for your continuing interest and Posts to this site.  Once again I doubt I will be able to attend the annual Ancient Artifact Preservation Society/AAPS conference September 17th, 18th, 19th in Marquette, MI, but below is the latest schedule of speakers.  I believe admission to the main day of the conference (Saturday 9AM-10PM EST) is free to educators, but please check with conference chair Judy Johnson.

              http://www.aaapf.org/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=58

              Any of you who attend that or similar conferences this year,  please post comments or summaries to the group.    Susan

               --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Martin Carriere <metismartin@...> wrote:

              > The little people were the friends of Quetzlcoatl and were very prominent in the od stories of the growth of the ages of civilization. Many pictures of our ancestors and even those of the old french come up to about 4 1/2 feet or more.
              >
              > Best to all,
              >
              > MC

            • joe white
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2010
                O'siyo Brothers, and Sisters,

                The bones in Tennessee are The Cherokee Little People.
                We have books written about them.
                You can order these books from our Cherokee Museum & Cultural Center.
                931 762 3733  Cash, check, or money order.

                Gah gey you e,

                Sitting Owl