Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Another window on the Cherokee?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2010
      Yes, it is bad form to reply to one's own post.
      Not really replying, just adding a P.S.
      I read the article without looking at the picture clips that came with it.
      Took it at its own standing.
      The photos are scans from the pages of Barry Fell's Saga America
      and do not all reflect rock inscriptions, but include any early Arabic examples Fell was showing in the book.

      This weakens the article, imho, in that the photos appear without the essential text base and explanation of the original literature. One begins to wonder if the authors were drawing on their own speculations while using Barry's work as their base, not their own findings.

      Even so,  most of Barry's work was accurate, aside from a few slips where he also trusted another's fieldnotes instead of his own research.
      -c

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2010
        Thank you once again, Chris for the talent and time you spend sharing
        with this group, as in your recent Post. I hope Joe and/or others will
        respond or add other insights to this subject....

        Apologies to the group as one of your co-hosts here, but my computer and
        cell phone both went kaput during an electrical storm a week or so ago.
        I got an old cell phone working and hooked up again but it may be a year
        or two before I can save enough for another computer. Therefore, my
        online time will be confined to accessing the public library w/one hour
        time limit a day. I will discuss with Vince and Stan the possibilities
        of perhaps another co-host to keep an eye out for Spam, etc.....

        Susan

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Chris Patenaude
        <yacrispyubetcha@...> wrote:

        > Yes, it is bad form to reply to one's own post.
        > Not really replying, just adding a P.S.
        > I read the article without looking at the picture clips that came with
        it.
        > Took it at its own standing.
        > The photos are scans from the pages of Barry Fell's Saga America
        > and do not all reflect rock inscriptions, but include any early Arabic
        examples Fell was showing in the book.

        > This weakens the article, imho, in that the photos appear without the
        essential text base and explanation of the original literature. One
        begins to wonder if the authors were drawing on their own speculations
        while using Barry's work as their base, not their own findings.

        > Even so, most of Barry's work was accurate, aside from a few slips
        where he also trusted another's fieldnotes instead of his own research.
        > -c

      • joe white
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2010
          Wado equa,

          I could not open any of the photos because of yahoo.
          I would like to see them.

          Gah gey you e,

          Sitting Owl