Indian Mounds Mystify Excavators

  • Vince
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2010
      This is a response to Michelle Delio's article entitled "Indian Mounds Mystify Excavators" in Ancient American Magazine. Delio's article accurately reflects information given by site staff on brochures and tours. Unfortunately, this information is aimed at mystifying the general public and tour groups that visit the site. Additionally, that information does not include new research done in the last 30 years. Hopefully this will clear up purposely bewildering/ outdated information that staff have shared with Delio.

      The article states that Cahokia Mounds is located on the southeast side of Illinois, however it is on the southwest side. The geographic location of Cahokia Mounds is apparent on a map of Illinois. The Chronological period from (900-1150AD) attributed to the site is only partially correct. Arrowhead Styles found in the Cahokia Mounds region include Paleo, Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian (12000 BC-1800AD). The carbon dating attributed to the site is in need of review because no thought was given to an overall sampling design. Other carbon dating from Cahokia Region show that the corn was utilized around 50BC (http://www.jstor.org/pss/282461). Materials used in the Monks mound construction include colored soil, limestone slabs, bald cypress and red cedar posts, not just dirt. Perhaps the construction material was floated to the site on rafts rather than "dragged to the site" as stated in the article. The volume of the mound includes 21,551,623 cubic feet, not 22 million. The height of the Central feature is 92 feet as shown on topographic maps and differs from the 100 foot height given in the article. If the human population of 35 thousand each contributed to building the mounds, then each person would have had to move 630 cubic feet of earth. 17th century Maps from Codex Canadiensis indicate that the site was occupied at first contact with Europeans. This contradicts the claim made in the article that by 1300, the city was a "ghost town". And few authors have recorded legends about the site. Picture writing languages have been found on the site, and records were written in engraved stone, shell, pottery, copper, wooden, and birchbark form.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2010

        Vince,  I hope you sent your well thought out response to the Delio article in Ancient American Magazine to publisher, Wayne May.  I believe too there is still a column in the magazine for clarifications, critiques, and hopefully you submit yours fpr possible further responses.

        All, at daybreak I am heading to a wellness fair three hours from here in NW Wisconsin (Spooner, Wisconsin). The first time event is taking place on land owned by an  Oneida member who just released a book on 2012.  Rains were so heavy all day in Central Wisconsin I had to delay my trip, thus will miss partipating in a sweat lodge, and construction of a medicine wheel by the organizers and visitng shamen.  http://soaringeagleswellness.com/

        I mention this fair here because I was asked if I would like to be a speaker and talk about the Ancient Waterways Society.  The organizer had clcked into the link from one of my emails and found our group and recent posts interesting.  As near and dear to my heart Ancient Waterways is,  I declined a formal speech, that I'd prefer to talk with individuals and small groups at my vendor tables and camp site during the weekend.  A few of you live near that area  (Herb W., Char Bruns-Duluth);  Wayne May/Ancient American is an hour south of the area but has out of town family visiting.  For others, the event will be an annual one and if anyone plans to attend next year, let me know and perhaps we could also plan a small  excursion to the copper country not very far from Spooner.  I am all for Herb's Ancient Underwater Road? being kept secret and thus protected, but I am betting it is within half an hour of the wellness festival grounds...

        Susan